14 x 24 Olympic Peninsula

Started by considerations, May 06, 2008, 07:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Thanks red (John) I meant deeper... they have more volume = more wires.

Electric dryers and ranges require 220/240 VAC. That's different wire than what you have. (more conductors).

There are not too many applications you need 10-2 for.   ???

Pigtails are flexible until the bad boy behind you in class dribbles glue on them.   :P
All the wire used to connect everything in the walls, switches to receptacles, etc is a single strand. However there are special pigtail connectors made for use within a box that use stranded flexible wire. There's a wire nut on one end and a spade connector on the other. Can be handy at times.

I assume you are in an area where you'll be connected to the power grid. Correct? And you are subject to inspections and permits? If so you still may be able to do a lot of the electrical yourself. Most jurisdictions have a owner-builder permit available for electrical as well as plumbing. If you pass the test you are llowed to do your own wiring/plumbing. Then they inspect it.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

Here in OK you can do your own elec / plumb but you must live in the house for 2 years before you can sell or rent it .

considerations

Nope, not tied to the grid.  Solar panels, batteries, and generators.  5th wheels don't use much electricity. 

The cabin will probably use more juice. 

Redoverfarm

CF I agree with the others regarding the use of 10 AWG for the cabin with a few exceptions.  Once you try to run the wire in the chases and work into the boxes you will see what they are saying.  If you did have something that you could use it for try to run directly up to the recepticle and not have to pull it through a room.  Even 12 AWG is difficult at times. I had a piece of 10/3 which I wanted to use up and decided to run it through several tight turns. I will never do that dumb trick again.  But everything to me seems difficult when not dealing with convientional framing.

MountainDon

Quote from: considerations on September 30, 2008, 08:30:07 PM
Nope, not tied to the grid.  Solar panels, batteries, and generators.  5th wheels don't use much electricity. 

The cabin will probably use more juice. 

Ah!!!  A woman after my own heart!! 

So then, the number 10-2 wire could be useful for some things like running power for DC purposes, depending on the loads and voltages involved.

I have no idea how much you know on the subject of AC vs. DC, pros and cons, etc. Keep in mind that use tends to grow over time. At least in most cases. Mine for sure if the past is an indicator.  :(
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

considerations

I don't know much, except I didn't kill myself getting the solar and batteries wired.  3 years, no fires.

Of course, then the 5th wheel has a nice and easy cord that plugs in, just like a toaster.  How hard was that.

I think the cabin will be a little different. (ok NOW you can all roll your eyes)

glenn kangiser

QuotePigtails are flexible until the bad boy behind you in class dribbles glue on them.

I'm sorry.  I thought you were supposed to dip them in the ink well.....   d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Whats going on? Are you on vacation?  ???
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

considerations

No vacation.  I had about 2 weeks where I was finalizing budget legislation, it got pretty intense.  [yuk]

Didn't do much work on the cabin, but this week, I've been stuffing insulation under the floor.  Not exactly picture worthy stuff..Slow, awkward.  At least there is enough room under there to sit on a footstool and do the work, but you have to be a contortionist to get around with all that diagonal bracing.  It's ok, but I've had more fun doing other parts of the project.

But I'm actually thinking ahead, I'm only doing the center, leaving 2 foot or so perimeter uninsulated until I get the plumbing and wiring done. 

I'm just trying to get that insulation out from under the tarp where it has been all summer.  Now the rainy season is here, and I don't want any wet insulation. 

I've priced doors (yagh) and battened one side of the cabin to hold the house wrap down, because I don't think siding is in the picture until spring or so.

I had to pick the blackberries, last chance before they went over the top, and the darn electric fence is clicking, not thumping, so I've been walking it looking for the short. 

considerations

Ok, I'm back.  Hi all! Finally got the gable ends upstairs all closed up and Tyveke'd.  Kinda wet and chilly today.  I've graduated to cutting on sawhorses inside.  Time to hang a worklight. All that OSB and Tyvek covers where the doors and windows go so it's a little dark in there. But dry (hurray).

I want stairs and a landing for the main door to free up a ladder and make hauling things in and out easier. So that's next.

MountainDon

It's always nice to be dry.  :D   Some light and some heat would be nice too.    ;D

glenn kangiser

We were anxiously awaiting your next post, thanks considerations.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Woodswalker

I too have been wondering how you are progressing.  Thanks for the report.  When building my cabin, I avoided the floor insulation contortions by doing the job from above, before installing the floor sheathing.  Had to spring for a couple of 20' tarps tho, to be sure it didn't get wet before I could get the place dried-in.

Don't be afraid to tackle the wiring.  Years ago, while renovating a 1920's house, I bought a couple of books on electrical basics and wiring.  Then installed a new mast, meter socket, breaker box, and several circuits - both 110 and 220 VAC.  Only thing the inspector asked me to do was drill a hole in the bottom of the mast to let any rainwater that might blow in at the top drain back out.  You're doing well, so keep on plugging away at it.

As you know already, folks here have quick, accurate advice should you get snagged on something.  Only eye-rolls allowed are the little yellow smileys.

ScottA

Maybe she don't have internet in the new house yet? Where you at Considerations?

considerations

"I avoided the floor insulation contortions by doing the job from above, before installing the floor sheathing."

I got stern warnings from my forum mentors to not do exactly that...so it wouldn't get wet.  Well, it didn't get wet.  Aleave and I are getting pretty cozy. 

BUT I ignored the insulation today and put in a window!  It's 5' x 6' and there's lots o light downstairs now. I'll get a pic tommorrow. I was still taping around it when it got too dark for the camera. 

The days are getting pretty short around here. 

considerations

glenn kangiser

Redoverfarm

Looking good. Funny when you get started on a project it just seems it will never get finished and all of a sudden it starts to take shape real fast.

ScottA

considerations

"Nice work"

Thanks, but a big thanks to all of you for recommending the framing books.  I think I spend more time with my nose in them than I spend actually building.   ::)

glenn kangiser

Many people can read books and still not put it together.  A lot of the credit must go to you. :)

MountainDon

... able to read, comprehend and drive nails! Not everyone can pull that off.  :)

John Raabe

Nice work Considerations!

You have a cozy place there and you made it happen.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Whitlock

Nice place you will be done before you know it [cool]
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

considerations

I caught a window between downpours today and poured a 4 x 8 pad for the porch.  Finished in the dark and it had started raining, but I got a tarp tented over it.  Think it may be awhile before it cures real well.  I have to get a headband for this new flashlight, I slobbered all over it so I could use two hands to clean the tools and the mixer. 

The horses seemed perplexed to see me out in there with a bright light where my mouth should be.  I got into the house and fell into a giggling fit about the silliness of it all as I hung my clothes to dry in front of the heater vents.  Ahhh, life in a 5th wheel!

d*