Stairway width????

Started by John_M, March 19, 2006, 08:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_M

Any idea on the minimum width of a stairway opening??  If I use 4x10 beams @ 32" oc, that would leave a width of about 28-29 inches between beams.

Is this enough for a stairway to a loft??

Is the code different for a 2 story home as opposed to a 1 1/2 story?
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

glenn kangiser

I don't know if you've seen this or not but it's posted in the free stuff.  Maybe it will help.

http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1129316454
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

manhattan42

Minimum tread width for stairs in NY state is 36".
NY State uses the IRC 2003.
36" minimum tread width for all stairs and all stories.

Amanda_931

36" + would make it easier to get an easy chair (lets not even think about a piano) up there.

tjm73

At what point are full stairs required with a loft?  I was hopeing to see that info in the link to the stairs code.

jraabe

You will want to check this out locally but...

Loft areas 250sf and under do not have any stair requirement. You can use steep stairs, ladder stairs, Jefferson (Alt. tread) stairs or whatever you want.

Loft areas between 250 and 500 sf can have a spiral stair - Mfrd or hand built with a min diameter of 5' (and other requirements I will not get into here).

Areas over 500 sf require a full code stair - defined by local code but in general 36" min tread width, 8" (or less) riser, 9" (or more) tread depth, 6'-8" min headroom, handrails, etc.

manhattan42

Quote"At what point are full stairs required with a loft?  I was hopeing to see that info in the link to the stairs code. "

For New York State and anywhere the IRC 2003 is used (including Washington State), all[/i] stairs must be 36" wide and there are no exceptions for loft sizes as previously suggested. If the loft space is considered 'habitable' then it must have standard constructed stairs regardless of size.

Ladders or similar devices are not permitted to access habitable spaces.

Ladders are permitted only if the space is not considered habitable. (like a pull down ladder to an attic)

The only exception are for spiral stairs and bulkhead stairs and only under certain circumstances.

Generally speaking, you need standardly constructed stairs everywhere the IRC is enforced in all cases.

You can see New York State Code below:

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/new_york/NY_Residential/residential_frameset.htm

jraabe

Yes, the question of stairs can hinge on the interpretation of habitability. This is one reason why there are local variations in spite of the attempt of national and international codes to make everything the same worldwide.

The "tight" interpretation is that if it is humanly possible to use the space in a "habitable way" - perhaps for sleeping or as a get-away office - then you must build a full code level 60 sf stairway to it.

My notes above are how this issue has been interpreted locally by our inspector. Your mileage will vary  ;)

Many towns and counties also have exemptions in place such as "cottage codes" that allows these types of ladder stairs, Jefferson stairs, etc. This is usually based on the size of the house (our cottage code applies to houses under 1000 sf). Such exemptions make things less subject to interpretation by the plan checker or inspector and whether or not he had a fight with the wife last night.

If you want your project to follow the tightest possible interpretation of access and safety, then build all stairs to this set of guidelines: http://www.stairways.org/pdf/2003%20Stair%20IRC%20SCREEN.pdf (PDF - be patient)

jraabe

Stairs and Safety:

Beyond codes is the issue of utility and safety.

[size=12]Utility[/size]  - If you are going to use a loft for furniture - if you are going to be dragging a bed up the stairs, a dresser, etc. - then think about how you are going to get it up there. And, if you do get the dresser up there imagine yourself carrying up a basket of clean clothes. Can you get up there with your hands full?

[size=12]Safety[/size] - Your grandmother comes over for a visit, can she get up and down your stairs safely? The power is out (no lights) and there is some emergency you have to deal with. Oh, and its now 25 years after you built the house. Can you get down the stairs without breaking something?

Two things about a code stair:
• Furniture is designed for it
• People don't generally have to read the manual to understand how to use it.  ;)

tjm73

Quote"At what point are full stairs required with a loft?  I was hopeing to see that info in the link to the stairs code. "

For New York State and anywhere the IRC 2003 is used (including Washington State), all[/i] stairs must be 36" wide and there are no exceptions for loft sizes as previously suggested. If the loft space is considered 'habitable' then it must have standard constructed stairs regardless of size.

Ladders or similar devices are not permitted to access habitable spaces.

Ladders are permitted only if the space is not considered habitable. (like a pull down ladder to an attic)

The only exception are for spiral stairs and bulkhead stairs and only under certain circumstances.

Generally speaking, you need standardly constructed stairs everywhere the IRC is enforced in all cases.

You can see New York State Code below:

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/new_york/NY_Residential/residential_frameset.htm

Thanks for that link!  8-)

jraabe

Yes, excellent resource for anyone building in a NE climate.

Just for example - the section on frost protected (shallow) footings (Chapter 4, p. 8) is very well worked out. Good information on soil bearing types and footing sizes at the start of that chapter.

A few notes:

Stairway - Min run 9", max rise 8.25"
Code min room size 70sf and 7' wide.
Residence must have at least one room w/ min 120 sf.
Garage to house - 3/4 hr fire rated door w/ Self Closer