Exterior Rough Cut Pine Board and Batten Finishing Techniques Please

Started by Dilly, May 16, 2010, 07:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dilly

I have just purchased from the mill enough wood to do my Board and Batten project.
The wood is rough cut and green. It is Eastern Pine Red or White I am not sure which of the species.
My question to you guys is what process to use to finish it.
  I have talked to lots of people and everyone has a different idea on how to finish it. I want to do it in a solid stain. Here in Canada
by 2012 oil based products will be phased out. I want a product that with proper application will last a good while.
Do I stain on all sides? Do I stain on the front side only(so as to the the wood a chance to breathe)? How many coats is necessary?
I should would appreciate any and all input.
Thanks
Dilly

Redoverfarm

Dilly I would first sticker and cover the boards to allow them to dry out.  I am partial to planning them so that the stain will penetrate better.  I prefer oil based stains on exterior wood. If you were to atempt to stain and install "green" then there is a good chance that the stain will be pushed out of the grain by the evaporating sap and they will change demensions once dried.  So if you attach them permanently and their demension changes they will split and crack which will allow moisture to enter in the future.  Yes to treating all four sides.  You could stain the facing three sides with the solid stain and then treat the backside with a less costly but effective protectant.  As far as the amount of stain required that would be dependent on how well it covers.  Again rough cut will soak up more stain and an additional coat may be necessary.  I used white pine B&B on my cabin which was dried and planned and one coat was suficent.  It was applied with a sprayer and then backbrushed.   

glenn kangiser

Defy has stains and will breath so it can be done before dry.  It blocks out 98% of the water IIRC.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Pine Cone

Here's what Devy Epoxy Fortified Natural Pine looks like on western white pine.  I paint all 6 sides of the battens (4-sides plus ends after cutting).  On the smaller width boards (<8") I painted all four sides plus ends, on larger boards only did one coat on the center back of the boards.

For the Defy, Douglas-fir seems fine with two coats while the pine often seems to soak it in more so it needs three coats.  I think it is a great finish, but only have a couple of years of experience with how long it lasts.  Works best on horizontal surfaces since it is very runny.  We try to paint most boards and logs/timbers before they are installed.

This shed is rough-sawn pine with a latex paint from Home Depot.

I would dry your wood as long as you can if you are going to use it green.  The end product will be better if you use drier wood.