Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

https://youtu.be/kFfrQULq4hw
Still at it :)

Now that I have the rest of my bit pieces I can get the T&G finished for next weekends cabin trip!

Adam Roby

Its coming along nicely.

Planning something slightly similar... I am thinking of building an outhouse this spring.  The plan was to start the work in March at home, then as soon as the snow melts bring up the cut pieces to the land and start building (well, maybe wait to be able to dig 4' by hand as well). 
I was thinking of using 1x6 fence boards, and on each one cut a 45 degree angle on both length edges, so that there would be a drip edge and I could do the side walls with that.  Looks like a lot of work, and a lot of sawdust...  and considering it's PT'ed... hmmm.   

Not as fancy of a cut as you are doing, but a lot of repetition...  would you benefit from setting the router into a table? 
I had purchased a small router table that my standard router can be bolted to underneath... does help keep things straight with less gouging and angle issues.

OlJarhead

I have a router table but I found with the right bits it's faster and plane better to do it by hand ;)  The bits I use are Rockler bits and they have bearings in them to help guide the bit along the wood edge so you don't cut too deep etc.

I've used three set ups:  home made router table, Ryobi router table and no table at all and the last option is the best.

As for siding the way you mention, I'd just leave it the way you get it and lap it up.  No need for further edging at all.  Treat and forget :)

OlJarhead

Finished all the paneling I had in the garage to complete :)

4,5,6,7 and 8" Pine T&G completed.  A lot of it is blue stained to some degree but we like that ;)

Can't wait to get it up to the cabin and installed!

OlJarhead

Drove up to the cabin yesterday and boy the road was treacherous!  Solid ice in the worst places but made it up and down 'ok' without too much pucker factor ;)

Now I just need to load up the truck and get it ready for the trip with the chains easily accessible.

rick91351

Quote from: OlJarhead on February 04, 2016, 01:39:54 PM
Drove up to the cabin yesterday and boy the road was treacherous!  Solid ice in the worst places but made it up and down 'ok' without too much pucker factor ;)

Now I just need to load up the truck and get it ready for the trip with the chains easily accessible.

You sure you don't live around here?  We have went from easy going in and out to white knuckle drifting.......  Just hoping not to meet up with someone on the corners.  Did a 360 the other day with the Powerstoke  and had my healer with me she got so excited - she wanted to do it again - me well not so much......

Tongue and grove project worked out well it looks......
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

OlJarhead

Not looking forward to chaining up ini the dark tonight but the truck is nearly ready and I've chained up plenty of times in the dark -- and it's better to chain up then to spin out! lol

rick91351

Quote from: OlJarhead on February 05, 2016, 02:01:00 PM
Not looking forward to chaining up ini the dark tonight but the truck is nearly ready and I've chained up plenty of times in the dark -- and it's better to chain up then to spin out! lol

[waiting]  As many times a person is over a road one pretty much knows where you might as well put the iron on.  Other at night and if it is freezing really tight you can often cheat a little.  That said I sure would rather chain up sitting in the middle of the road than down in the barrow pit and digging yourself out as well.  Just so much fun there......   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

OlJarhead

Yup.  Chained up at the bottom and had no worries on the way up :). One neighbor struggled a bit but he had his chains on the back ;) I learned long ago fronts up backs down and it makes a big difference.  Now we are here and warm ;). Drink in hand and life is good!

rick91351

Quote from: OlJarhead on February 06, 2016, 12:26:18 AM
Yup.  Chained up at the bottom and had no worries on the way up :). One neighbor struggled a bit but he had his chains on the back ;) I learned long ago fronts up backs down and it makes a big difference.  Now we are here and warm ;). Drink in hand and life is good!

Myself if I am going very far. Like ten miles or better, they are going on the rear and have a couple hundred pounds back there......  (Furthest this year thirty two miles in foot deep snow- we beat the plow out....) Normally we would have stayed home but there was this got to thing going  ???  grandkids! At least it was not Black Friday.  One neighbor lady she hurried up and followed us out - Never seen her but she called and thanked us for braking trail. 

OlJarhead

Four more feet of panelling installed :)

Had to stop on the right since I didn't bring my jigsaw to cutout around the light.  Stopped on the left because, well, I was getting a little beat and cut a 6" piece of panel for a 5" run....ya time to quit and drink some bourbon :D

You just can't buy this stuff....well maybe you can but I wouldn't want to pay for it! :D

Lovin' it :)  I'll get it up past the collar ties next trip and plan to use some of the collar ties as 'shelves' for storage.

OlJarhead

I started planning my next trip while still at the cabin ;)  DO others do this?

I'm planning on finishing the paneling in the ceiling and getting the end walls done plus some trim.  To be honest I just can't wait!

I've also got to get milling and the snow appears to be melting now (rain and temps in the high 30's now during the day).  With luck I can begin milling the 30 plus logs I have by the first weekend in March :)

rick91351

Quote from: OlJarhead on February 10, 2016, 02:01:56 PM
I started planning my next trip while still at the cabin ;)  DO others do this?

I'm planning on finishing the paneling in the ceiling and getting the end walls done plus some trim.  To be honest I just can't wait!

I've also got to get milling and the snow appears to be melting now (rain and temps in the high 30's now during the day).  With luck I can begin milling the 30 plus logs I have by the first weekend in March :)

Indeed we use to do just that .....  Now that we are full timers we have to go to town and it is considered an inconvenience and wish to hurry up and get back.

OlJarhead

I get the fever a lot it seems ;)  Now I'm trying to plan my trip by setting tools and stuff aside.

OlJarhead

Should be saying goodbye to the old custom sawmill tomorrow!

Got it ready for a serious buyer who is coming tomorrow.

Have 3 or 4 seriously interested buyers so figure it will be gone tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

Then Wednesday I pick up my new LT40HD! :D

OlJarhead

Mill is sold!  Man that was fast!  But I guess since these things pay for themselves easily it shouldn't surprise me...Wed I pick up  the new mill and am over the moon!  Can't hardly sleep!  I've got over 30 logs to mill now and this new mill out to handle those in 1/4 the time the old one would...going to be fun learning on them while I mill up lumber for my deck expansion and roof over the deck :D

Adam Roby

No wonder it sold so fast, it looked like it was new, perfect condition... 

OlJarhead

LOL well not exactly!  It has a lot of the paint rubbed off the top of the rails from rolling big logs on it and the paint is faded some (WM Orange fades a lot over the year)...but ya, it's in pretty darn good shape!

OlJarhead

Heading out early tomorrow to pick up the new mill! :D  I'm dying here waiting to get off work and plan for the trip!  Then Sunday I plan to drive it up to the cabin and start milling in style :)

OlJarhead

Good morning ;)  (says a rather tired old marine with a cup of coffee in hand)....

WoW!  :o  Holy crap batman!  :o ;D  This thing ROCKS!  8)  WhooHoo!

I woke up around 2:30am and forced myself to sorta sleep until 4:30.  Then I got myself up and moving.  I needed to leave around 6am so my son had some rack time  and I would arrive at his place about 7:30am.  So 80 miles later I picked him up and away we went.

Arrived to meet the new mill around 11am and some 275 miles later :)

Waiting to greet us was a Forestry Forum member who didn't give me his nick on the forum but he gave me a nice FF sticker and a mug.   Gotta love forums like these (I've met only one FF member but a few CP members and they have always been great people).

Once the paperwork was finished and the books were went through -- WOW!  Now those are manuals!  We headed out to the woodlot (funny thing, I backed up the truck to tow the mill out and Karl looked at me funny and said he'd use the forklift for that.  I'm just so used to moving MY mill I was ready to keep that going! lol).

Next we loaded up a log and got into the fun part :)  Making sawdust!

That me making 1x's after Karl (1st) and I made a cant out of the log.  He was very nice and also willing to say "why did you" in a way Marines understand! lol  Learned a lot from him and was very impressed with his thorough approach to maintenance and possible issues later -- we went over this baby with a fine toothed comb!

]

I did run the stabilizer arm into the log clamp on the last cut -- DOH! -- but recovered once I understood what occurred and made a mental note to remember.

Now I need a great deal of coffee and to get to work!  All hell broke loose while I was gone yesterday so I know today will be a tough day to be at work, specially since I'd rather be milling!!!

Adam Roby

OlJarhead

Thanks :)  I'm so stoked and can't wait to start putting it through its paces!

astidham

Very nice. I cant wait to get a mill.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

rick91351

Looks like a great mill...   [cool]  stay safe and count your finger once in a while........ 

garyc

[cool] You need to make a video when you get it set up at your place .
If it wasn't for bad luck . I would 't have any luck at all.