14x24 gable end exterior walls -- framing question

Started by Madroaster, December 09, 2007, 06:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madroaster

Hi All,

I'm working up the framing on the 14x24 Little House.  Looking at the 14' walls, am I correct they aren't load bearing? 

Next, according to the book "Graphic Guide to Frame Construction" (Rob Thallon), non-load bearing walls don't need headers or jack studs at the windows.  Is this correct?

Finally, assuming the previous question is correct, is that just a matter of meeting basic code?  In other words, will I (noticeably) gain anything by adding headers and jack studs along such walls?  Otherwise, it seems to me it's just less thermal bridging and better insulation without them.

Thanks,
--Derek

desdawg

I put headers over all of the openings in my exterior walls. This one has the sided gable end stacked on top of it.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

MountainDon

IRC2003, section R602.7.2 Nonbearing Walls states that load bearing headers are not required in either interior or exterior non load bearing walls. A single flat 2x4 may be used for such a wall in openings up to 8 feet. if the vertical distance from such header to the parallel nailing surface above (like the top plates) is not greater than 24 inches. No cripples are required. No blocking above the header is required.

Saves material and as you indicated will provide a better insulated wall.

IRC2003 link here  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2590.0

If building to code check your local requirements just in case they have decided to alter the IRC2003 rule.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

Mountain Don's reading was my intent in the end walls of the 14' cottages. They do carry the weight of the wall itself, but that is all. When that wall is nailed off with structural sheathing it would be very hard to overload the top of a door or window.

A single 2x header will be more than enough and easily insulated; it can be hung from the shear of the nails from the side studs.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

PEG688

On a gable end like that IF you have a wide door like  6-0 patio slider a doubled up 2x8 header helps stabilize the wall , the mass / weight / stiffness all helps to take any shake / rattle / etc caused by wind or door slamming.

But a structural header per say is not needed or required.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Madroaster

Thanks for the answers guys.  That was the answer I needed.  Thanks for the link, too.  I already had it bookmarked, but had forgotten about it.

PEG: It's just a couple windows in this case, but thanks for the advice.  I don't like wobbly walls.  Here in Korea all the walls in buildings (smaller buildings, not the giant towers (they have their own set of problems)) shake or bend whenever someone leans on them or slams a door.  It's not at all nice or comforting.

Cheers,
--Derek

OlJarhead

So to be sure:  when framing the end walls (the 14' walls) and putting windows in them no headers are required and simple 2x6 laying flat nailed to the studs is fine?

Also, does it matter if the wall is 10' tall instead of 8'.

Thanks

Don_P

Header required...
Quoteif the vertical distance from such header to the parallel nailing surface above (like the top plates) is not greater than 24 inches.

This is my state's '06 IRC, chapter 6 is walls. You will find answers to many questions by reviewing the code minimum standards.
https://www2.iccsafe.org/states/Virginia/Residential/Res-Frameset.html