A-Frame Home Design

Started by PFunk_Spock, May 07, 2009, 07:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PFunk_Spock

Hey guys, first time poster. First a little introduction. Im only 24 years old but already Im sick of renting. I currently live in a 1bd log cabin in Victor Id, spending my days mountain biking and snowboarding in the Tetons. Life is good, but even renting for only 475 (which my girlfriend and I split, I find myself wanting a place of my own. I have the mentality that I would rather live in an area where I get to do the things I love, opposed to living in a city working for the weekends to enjoy myself in the mountains. Money does not buy happiness, and happiness to me is a day spent on the mountain. In this mindset we want to live modestly. Ideally, my girlfriend and I would be a sort of hybrid home builder / general contractor. There are definatly some elements which we do not have the time or the knowhow to do, including excavation, foundation work, electrical, and probably plumbing. Most of the interior work will be done by us personally, as well as the landscaping, but first, I want to know your thoughts on A-frame home design.

Im pretty dead set on the design, given my desires to never leave the mountains where it can snow up to 400" a year, it makes sense. Something about the vaulted cielings, panoramic views from the windows on the gable ends. What is the general consensus on the design? I know there are some spacial limitations and dead space, but with our lifestyle we dont have much stuff other than outdoor gear.

Here is the design we are hoping to build soon. Just under 1000 sq feet, with a livable floor plan that maximizes the space within the A-frame structure. We would modifying the design slightly to have a fully finished basement, creating storage and recreation areas that would be needed for our family. I have heard that A frame homes can be built cheaply, but still with lots of character. Does anyone here have any experience?

Again here is the design ... http://details.coolhouseplans.com/details.html?pid=chp-31662&ArchStyle=A-Frame&FoundID=14&sid=chp23

Our budget including the purchase of the land (we are hoping to find around 2-5 acres, ideally in the Saranac Lake region of the Adirondack park, for 50,000). This will put us back east near family, still in the mountains, albeit with around 200" snowfall instead of the 400-500" of Teton powder Im accustomed to now.

Thanks again, I cant wait to get the dream started.

akemt

My first reaction is that the roofline is going to be a pain.  The more angles and rooflines you have to deal with, the more possibility of leaks happening, the more cost to build and the more effort to build.  Now, that isn't to say it isn't worth it for the 2nd floor views, it probably IS worth that --just my gut reaction.  And, since it is an A-frame, that might offset the added cost, building time and roof issues as compared to a rectangular house with similar roof lines.

Aside from all that, it is about the cutest A-frame I've seen as of yet.
Catherine

Stay-at-home, homeschooling mother of 6 in "nowhere" Alaska

Don_P

I like it, it solves my main complaint with an A frame being a tunnel. The roof is not for the timid, the right one is the only really rough one exposurewise to work on although the valley work on the left side is the biggest challange to frame. One thing to check on before purchasing plans, it is my understanding that NY requires a state licensed registered design professional's stamp on plans.

pagan

NM_Shooter

I'm not an A-frame advocate, but that's just because I want to do the work myself, and I can't imagine working with that pitch.  Carefully consider the roof pitch and if you are not comfortable doing the framing and roofing, factor that into your building costs.  If you are not framing it yourself, you'll blow past your $50k in a hurry. 

Electrical and plumbing are easier than interior / finish work!

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

JRR

I'm also not fond of conventional A-frames.  I don't think they would be that difficult to frame and build ...steep roofs wouldn't bother me ... just not sure I would want to live in it.  Only the end walls can have windows to let in natural light ... therefore the "tunnel" effect that someone has already mentioned ... unless the floorplan is really tiny.  They are cute from the street ... and make good little rental vacation cabins ... but every privately-owned-lived-in one that I have seen, has been added-onto: destroying the "cuteness".

The plan that you are looking at, to me, looks like an a-frame that really wants to be something else.  I would at least move the chimney to the roof centerline to avoid having to install a roof-saddle (cricket); or snow build-up behind the chimney.

I have seen some modern church buildings that are pseudo-A-frames and are OK.  The roof rafter beams extend to the ground supports, but the roof edge stops several feet above ground level ... allowing outside covered walkways ... and walls with plenty of windows.

MountainDon

The biggest obstacle to electrical and plumbing, in my opinion, if the mindset of the home builder. That and to gain an understanding of how things must be done to meet code. Anywhere I've lived it has been possible for a DIY'er to obtain the permits to do the work themselves. It can save a big bundle of money.

I believe A-frames are something you either love or hate. I could get to like one like JRR described with the sidewall conversion and windows.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.