16x12 Cabin in Maine

Started by Bishopknight, May 18, 2008, 10:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog

Great creative space saving ideas at work here. That C.A.B. Inc is funny and the store looks expensive. Building/designing your own will be so much nicer for sure.
Jens, maybe draw up plans for you space saving kitchen idea and sell them online.  ;)
The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

alcowboy

What if you could hinge the chairs at the front of the seat so that the seat and back flips then slides back.

Jens

Dog, not a bad idea!

Sketched up an idea for the end table/chair.  Has a drawer in it too.

I might even make up a few just for us.  We can always use extra chairs that just "appear" out of nowhere!
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

alcowboy

Your welcome! Glad I could help. I don't get to do that often  ;)

Jens

Quote from: alcowboy on December 31, 2008, 02:38:51 PM
What if you could hinge the chairs at the front of the seat so that the seat and back flips then slides back.

Not quite sure what you mean by this.  Could you elaborate?  I like the idea of things that hinge and slide, it's hell to design and build, but sweet once together.

I was thinking about the above chair, and thinking I might make a prototyped out of 1/2" ply, with a padded seat, and maybe backrest too.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

alcowboy

???

Ok, using your design as a guide. Where you have placed the drawer (front of seat) I thought possibly putting a sliding hinge point so the seat and back would flip forward. Once forward the seat (upside down and the back actually acting as legs) would slide back so that you would have a table top formed by the bottom of the seat.

Solar Burrito

Any updates? How is your cabin looking now? I really like your design I just started a cabin/shed of a similar size.

please come back!
Small Shelters, Off Grid Living, and Other Neat Stuff http://solarburrito.com

Bishopknight

Hi Solar Burrito,

No updates lately. Its now become a shed to my larger 30x40 earth berm house which is sticky'd on the main page.  But Grace and I expect to go back and finish it eventually. Its just not a priority now.

Thanks,
BK

Solar Burrito

Oh ok, I didn't know it was becoming a shed. Makes sense you're not updating since you're busy with a bigger project  d*

I'll check out the new one.
Small Shelters, Off Grid Living, and Other Neat Stuff http://solarburrito.com

Bishopknight

I've been thinking about the design of this cabin and going back, if I could change a few things, here they are. First of all, I'd design it with the expectation of adding a bedroom sometime later in the future. That way I can avoid re-routing wires or windows or siding.

Also, when I built mine, I did 8 ft walls with triangle trusses. I messed up because I was following free shed plans I found online. Of course now, I'd do it differently if i could do it again, I'd buy one of Johns plans which had 10 ft walls with a ridge beam/rafters and balloon framing platform at around the 6-7' range. That way I'd have two floors with plenty of head room on each. But a greenhorn like I was back then was intimidated by doing ridge beams and rafters and I also didn't fully think balloon framing would be strong enough, I was wrong.

Also, I'd extend the roof over a 8x12 deck portion and make a (screened ) porch. So actually it would be a 24x12 first deck.  I'd stick with 2x4 framing on a small house like this. Its incredibly easy to heat and 2x6 walls eat quite a bit more room I feel than in a larger house.

Lastly, I would put insulation in the floor, prior to laying the 3/4" advantech ply. Its a huge pain to put it in on your back in the mud, trust me.

On a side note:

John Raabe has incorporated expandability in his houses, which I love. If you're trying to save a few bucks on plans, it can come back to bite you because of all the time and effort to redo things you didn't think of. You're better off going with a proven plan that is expandable and makes the best use of the square footage you're creating. If I were going to build a house in the future again, I'd either go with one of johns plans or have my gf's father (a 25 yr architect) custom design one for her and I. But 2 yrs ago, you couldnt tell me that, call it whatever you like, I've learned now.