Suggestions for sealing a cob bathtub

Started by Ernest T. Bass, June 22, 2007, 11:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernest T. Bass

We're going to try building a cob bathtub, and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for the best way to waterproof it. We framed the rough shape of the tub with wood, and plan on cobbing the whole thing soon. I read of a lady who sealed a tub with hemp oil and had good results, but problems with leaking around the drain forced her to take it down. We plan on using hemp oil a lot in the house, but I'm not sure if it's THAT water resistant. We'd rather not have to reapply the oil every six months or something like that, also.. I was wondering if a lime plaster type of finish might be the way to go?

Any thoughts?
Andrew

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

glenn kangiser

I've never tried to waterproof it for anything like a tub.  the most waterproof floor we have is coated with 4 coats of linseed oil plus coats of QuickCrete concrete cure and seal - no guarantees on how well that will work though.  I haven't tried to  hold water in it.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Rose

Quote from: Ernest T. Bass on June 22, 2007, 11:01:40 PMWe're going to try building a cob bathtub, and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for the best way to waterproof it. We framed the rough shape of the tub with wood, and plan on cobbing the whole thing soon. I read of a lady who sealed a tub with hemp oil and had good results, but problems with leaking around the drain forced her to take it down. We plan on using hemp oil a lot in the house, but I'm not sure if it's THAT water resistant. We'd rather not have to reapply the oil every six months or something like that, also.. I was wondering if a lime plaster type of finish might be the way to go?

Any thoughts?
Andrew
When waterproofing clay pots I have found pitch the be the best at waterproofing. I am here looking for the same answer because a pitch tub would be pretty but I have seen lots of cob tubs that look great but I don't know what they use. I've seen then in wite and tan paints

MichaelMartin

Quote from: Rose on February 03, 2024, 10:13:57 AMWhen waterproofing clay pots I have found pitch the be the best at waterproofing. I am here looking for the same answer because a pitch tub would be pretty but I have seen lots of cob tubs that look great but I don't know what they use. I've seen then in wite and tan paints

Applying a natural or synthetic plaster or finish over the cob surface. This can create a smooth and waterproof layer that can prevent water from penetrating the cob.