Condensate drain details

Started by davidj, August 10, 2010, 09:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidj

The vent on my tankless water heater has a connection for draining condensate.  The venting kit also included some 3/8 ID silicon tubing, which apparently I tie in a loop to make a baby S-trap.  The bit I'm stuck on is where do I take it from there?  I get the impression it needs to go into the DWV system, but I'm not sure where to connect it in.  Does it need an addition dedicated P-trap in the DWV?  Or do I somehow tap into an existing trap, perhaps in the vanity?  Or can I just connect it straight to the DWV system, e.g. the vertical drain behind my vanity?  Note I haven't got any floor drains in the cabin, just a toilet, vanity and bath.

Alternatively I can take it to the outside, but I guess that'll probably freeze and I'm not sure dripping out acidic water by my deck is the best way to go...

Shawn B

If the plumbing will not be inspected I would drain it into the lav drain DWV pipe. To do this drill a hole in the pipe, then tap it with a 3/8 NPT or  1/2" NPT (National Pipe Thread). Drill this hole on the top side of the pipe. Tap the hole as needed. Screw in a threaded hose bard adapter, use teflon tape or thread sealant, hose clamp the tube and your done. Be sure to form a Loop trap up at the water heater vent. zip tie it so it won't come undone.

If in a code compliant area I would drain the condensate under the lav sink, but inside the lav cabinet. To do this get a dishwasher Y fitting and one of those stepped rubber connectors. The one that has multiple sizes and has hose clamps on the ends. You remove the old P-trap install the Y fitting then reinstall the P-trap as required. The down side is you will probably need a condensate pump for this type of application, unless you can gravity drain it?

I have done many, many furnace and A/C condensates this way.
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

davidj

Thanks a lot for the info Shawn - just what I wanted to know.  I'm gonna be inspected but the good news is I can easily gravity-drain it to the lav P-trap (the water heater is right next to the lav, and the heater's at head height).  However I guess I'm not allowed to put polyethylene or vinyl pipe in the wall (for maybe 12"), so do I need to transition to pex for a few feet?  I was originally planning on flexible copper, but apparently that's not good for the acidic condensate from a vent...

Shawn B

I would transition to 1/2" sch 40 pvc for the length in the wall. Pvc is less likely to clog up than the smaller I.D. pex pipe. If you use pex go with 3/4", though the pvc should be less cost.

I'm thinking is this the only condensate drain for the water heater? Or is it a secondary drain? The reason I ask is some furnaces have a secondary drain just for the vent, plus the main drain for the unit.
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

davidj

Quote from: Shawn B on August 11, 2010, 09:07:59 PM
I would transition to 1/2" sch 40 pvc for the length in the wall. Pvc is less likely to clog up than the smaller I.D. pex pipe. If you use pex go with 3/4", though the pvc should be less cost.

I'm thinking is this the only condensate drain for the water heater? Or is it a secondary drain? The reason I ask is some furnaces have a secondary drain just for the vent, plus the main drain for the unit.
It's the drain just for the vent, so I think it's pretty low throughput.  There's no condensate drain on the main unit as far as I can see (it's a Takagi TK-3 with z-flex venting).