Add a room

Started by keetch, August 25, 2006, 07:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keetch

Hello, I am new to this site and it is  wonderful with so much information.  We are going to build an add a room on our trailer but dont have a clue what to do.  I have read many of the threads but could use some help in guess in the whole process.  I have purchased programs and still come up with problems.  We are wanting to have the roof over the trailer.  We can go 12 x 24.  The floor was just finished with 16 inch centers and we used tongue and groove on top for the floor.  I would greatly appreciate any ideas or suggestions of where to begin.  If I had to rate ourselfs for being handy, I would say maybe a 5 out of 10, but got college to pay for so we are wanting to do this our self, you know share some good quality time together trying not to beat each other with the hammer lol, any help would be great
sue

glenn-k

Hi Sue.  I did this on a mother-in-law trailer about 25 years ago.  First thing I would do is throw the mother-in-law out and find one that's compatible. :-/

If that's not a concern, the lets get cracking. :)

Do you want a room to the side with just the high side of a shed roof eave sticking over the trailer or do you want a roof completely over the trailer too"

Do you have snow loading or permit concerns?

I like the room separate from the trailer with just the entry connected from the addition to the trailer door area - less problem with leakage if the building is a stand alone sealed at the door.  There are other ways to do it but lets get more ideas of exactly what you want first.

keetch

hehe the mother in law is a keeper, we want a room in front of the trailer with a roof completely over the trailer, hubby plans later to close in back wall and add some insulation for winter use (in Canada) stand alone is what we had in mind, if you can imagine a building with a roof where as the 24ft trailer was just backed in.  We do have snow concerns.  We have to have drawings of some sort to take to the local building inspector for a permit.  Would love a log cabin look but too much with daughter going off to college this year..  Thanks for your help, I have been all over and cant seem to find what we need, and in all honesty, hubby isnt handy at all, I usually do most of the repairs and stuff.

glenn-k

I think I would possibly frame conventional --stick frame walls then put trusses over the top of the whole thing then.  

If this is to be built long ways over the trailer John has inexpensive plans for 14' wide - extend as long as you want/

The truss company can design for snow loads in your area.  Possibly you could use the standard details supplied with Johns little House plan too and just have a local engineer size the roof joists if the building dept requires it.

http://www.jshow.com/y2k/listings/29.html

desdawg

Here is a partial scan of a section I drew in 1993 when I was getting the permit for my house. I poured a 4" X 12" footing around the trailer and framed a knee wall up under the rim joist, removed all of the siding and sheeted it solid after rearranging door openings. Since both long sides of the mobile home were going to be interior walls in the finished product I eliminated all of the windows from those sides. Now this was back in the days when if it cost 10 cents to go around the world I couldn't have gotten out of sight. I did monolithic pours on the addition floors. The roof on this drawing is not correct. I wound up with a full gable covering the mobile and both additions, all hand framed. I built this in phases, first one addition then the other. So I built a bearing wall next to the mobile on both sides that went clear to the underside of the rafters. The photo shows the final phase with unpainted siding. As you can see the ridge moved over to the center of the trailer. The little 8' trailer is the section with the windows and the awning. I tend to live within my means and what I do probably makes the conventional folks shudder. But the County gave me a permit and I Got-R-Dun. Today it looks a little different. The woodpeckers started knocking holes in the walls so the house has been stuccoed.

keetch

that is very close to what we can have other then the part to the left and we cant have that much space above the trailer, we are limited to 300 square ft but because of the size of my trailer i can only go 12 x 24,
how would i go about getting drawings similar to that,  I have played with Punch designer but Im useless at it lol

desdawg

I hand drew my own plans on 11" X 17" paper so they aren't readily available anywhere. I could get you a set copied if you want or you can draw them yourself. As an owner-builder I didn't need an architects seal on them at that time. As I said that was in 1993 and in Pinal County, AZ. I don't know what your local jurisdiction might require.

peg_688

In Washington state , nothing can be attached to a moble home , nothing,  no decks , roofs etc , nothing . They (mobles ) are governed / inspected by Dept. of labor and industries .  

I have built rooms and deck beside mobles but they must be free standing , They will let you lay over  roofing , seal up, walls / insulation ,  etc  [highlight]just do not attach to the moble . [/highlight]
Maybe you don't need a permit  just what I know from my location.

G/L PEG    

keetch

we cant have anything attached either, you must be able to pull that trailer out, but we still need a permit, and of course it was 50.00 last year but went up to 150.00 this year, just my luck

Amanda_931

John had some ideas for an RV/travel trailer garage that used parts of the trailer and added, IIRC, a decent living room.

Which I can't find right now.

Something on the order of--back the trailer in (I don't want to) or if a motor home, I guess it could go frontways, either give youself enough wiggle room to open the doors, or remove them before you go into the garage, then lay a ramp across to the living room, close the garage door, and by golly you've got a semi-regular home, with double or more the original 8x24 (roughly) of the original trailer.

glenn-k

Heres my garage built roughly off the Little House Plans. Seems you could do something like it and back the trailer in.

The way I built it, it worked out to about 13 x 24