A small L shaped stair for the Victoria cottage plans

Started by John Raabe, February 03, 2008, 06:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

I have added a new stair plan option to the Victoria cottage plans. It can work in areas where the IRC stair codes are now required.

http://tinyurl.com/9fdbj

To download these plan files and PDF's you need to be a subscribing member of PlanHelp. However, if you have the Victoria plans and don't want to join PlanHelp, I will send you a detail of that option to put in your design booklet. Just send an email to john(at)countryplans.com and tell me approximately when you ordered the Victoria plans.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

John Raabe

Nope! Back to the drawing boards... The stair above meets all the IRC code requirements EXCEPT one! The minimum inside measurement of the winder must be 6". It doesn't matter if the tread is wide enough (10") at the 12" walkline.

This means that you can't do a stair with any winders unless you have enough width for a "Gone with the Wind" type of staircase (note that the one shown is probably 5' wide). Not very small house friendly!  >:(

To make the stair above work, I will have to remove the winder and add another riser somewhere else. To do that there is no longer room at the top of the stair for the landing. While this stair works well, has a gentle slope, turns the corner easily and fits into the space available in the Victoria Cottage it will likely not be allowed where a strict interpretation of the IRC code is required.

Sorry, no Cigar!! d*
None of us are as smart as all of us.