Replacing Ledger Board and new deck frame.

Started by Savvy, August 19, 2015, 12:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savvy

Site is Lake Tahoe , Nevada, elevation 7700'.
Washoe County requires deck snow load of 280psf @8000' and 265psf @7500'
Deck is less than 30" off ground.
Existing Rim Joists are 2x8, on 2x6 sill, topped with 1.25" ply subfloor.

Existing 40 y/o deck frame is 2X12 rwd
The 2x12 ledger was nailed to the rim joist.
The deck is 24' x8' and was supported by the ledger board and a 24' 4x12 beam sitting on 8 4x4 posts on  concrete footing/ piers.
Decking is 2x6 rwd.

The deck has failed due to 4x4 posts rotting at the base.
The beam collapsed and the ledger pulled from the rim.

Time to replace deck.

Currently, I am placing 2' rigid foam insulation, 3/4" furring strips and new siding on the cabin.
I am trying to figure out the best solution for attaching the new ledger board.
The new exterior will be almost 3 1/2 inches from the rim joist.

One solution (A) is to place pressure treated blocking between the rim and the ledger, and using nuts, bolts and washers to fasten, as per REMOTE http://www.cchrc.org/docs/best_practices/REMOTE_Manual.pdf.
This will bring the ledger even with the exterior siding.

The second option (B) would be to fasten the ledger to the rim using ledgerlocs and nut bolts and washers.
Then start the decking at the edge of the siding leaving a 4' gap between the first deck board and the ledger.

Which to choose, A or B and why?

Of course, proper flashing and membrane will be used.

I do not wish to freestand the deck by installing a new beam on the house side.

Furthermore, the code states that the ledger should be no larger than the rim joist.
Therefore my ledger will be 2x8....and the deck framing will be 2x8

What spacing of 2x8 deck joists will allow me to meet the 280psf requirement?

I will be reusing the 24' 4x12 beam as it is still in excellent condition, as are the concrete footings/piers.

I will be using pressure treated for the frame and posts (i'll be beefing up the beam support posts by using 4x6)
Decking will be redwood.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!!

Don_P

I'd look again at an inboard beam on posts.  It looks like you are picking up 1160 pounds per lineal foot of ledger... is the roof dumping more than that on the ledger end of the joists? At any rate you need that amount of connection. A few ties back to the house joists to help keep the rim on the building would be a good idea. I don't think A or B will be in the running based on the ledger rules and engineering needs.

You can check the awc.org span calc . click the wet service button and I imagine it'll be incised lumber, I'm guessing it'll be 2x12's at 12" joists.

I seem to be getting a pass on 2x8 joists at 6" centers  :o

Savvy

I figured someone would convince me to use second beams.
Thanks!
Ok,  maybe not such an excited "Thanks!"  ;)

Cheers!!