Author Topic: Buildings under 200 sf  (Read 418235 times)

Offline samiam

• Apprentice
  • Welcome to the CP-Forum
Re: Buildings under 200 sf
« Reply #400 on: August 05, 2013, 09:23:04 AM »
Fantastic. Exactly the advice I was looking for. Thanks!

P.S., bonus materials look very useful as well - ordered.

Offline pocono_couple

• pocono mountains - northeast PA
« Reply #401 on: February 16, 2015, 05:06:44 AM »

I have posted the details of this build  at  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=13525.0   on this site. 

It was a lot of fun to build this little house during the summer of  2014.   Its intended use was a place to call home base and maybe stay a night or two a week  at my in-law's  orchard where my wife works, but it turned out to be much more permanent than that.   We have actually been there almost full time since July of 2014 with the exception of the month of December.    The dimensions are  8 by 16  with a loft that is  a little more than half of the total footprint.     It does not have a bathroom because we are able to use the  orchard bathroom which is close by.    We do have a portipotti  for middle of the night needs!    There is a 14k vented gas heater installed which turns out to be way more than necessary - very toasty in the loft!   

Since the photos, I have installed a sink with a pump faucet that is connected to a 5 gallon water jug.    Don't hesitate to ask any questions!   jt

Offline John Raabe

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Whidbey Island, WA
    • CountryPlans - About Us
« Reply #402 on: February 16, 2015, 07:34:16 AM »
A handsome project and a very workable small house. Congrats!
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Offline Redoverfarm

• Journeyman
  • Applachian Mtns, West Virginia
« Reply #403 on: February 16, 2015, 07:56:54 AM »
Jason the cabin turned out great.  Have you ever figured out a ball park figure of the cost?

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Jemez Mountains, NM; that's pronounced HEY-mess
    • My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
« Reply #404 on: February 16, 2015, 09:25:53 AM »
Very nice!  [cool]
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time and money to fix it?

Offline pocono_couple

« Reply #405 on: February 16, 2015, 11:30:49 AM »
thanks guys..   we spent around 10k altogether..     I was trying to keep a detailed account.. but  i tend to lose interest in things like that. get back from the  lumberyard and stuff the receipt in my pocket as I quickly get back to work  :)      and then I say,,  "next time I will be a little more organized..  "    maybe that will happen next time!  :)   jt

Offline paul s

• CountryPlans member
« Reply #406 on: February 21, 2015, 12:56:28 PM »
exactly how big is the gas stove for cooking, even the model and mfg would help me, great job

Offline pocono_couple

« Reply #407 on: February 26, 2015, 12:28:19 PM »
hi paul.  headed there tonight.. i will check it out  and let you know.. of course, i should remember- it has not been all that long!   jt

Offline pocono_couple

« Reply #408 on: February 26, 2015, 12:35:56 PM »
here is a link   http://www.homedepot.com/p/Amana-20-in-2-6-cu-ft-Gas-Range-in-White-AGG222VDW/100658987

bought it at home depot..  not necessarily an endorsement.. just happened to be where they were on sale when I happened to need it..     it is  20 inches wide..  you are not going to cook a thanksgiving meal for 20 with it, but  it sure meets our needs ( just the two of us)    my first purchase after installing the stove was  a set of small cookie sheets..  i have my priorities straight!   jt

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
« Reply #409 on: February 26, 2015, 04:52:49 PM »
paul s, (and anyone else looking for a gas range). I don't recall seeing where your range is to be used, that is, isit to be ON-grid or OFF-grid.  Be aware that gas ranges with electronic burner ignition also generally use a heat bar to ignite the oven flame AND to keep the burner lit. That heat bar consumes large amounts of power. The oven in all the ones I have looked into will not function without electrical power. If you are OFF-grid check out any range you consider. Sometimes that info is not easy to find. There are a few gas ranged with electronic burner ignitors that use a pilot flame for the oven. Not many though. OTOH, if the range top burners have pilot lights so will the oven.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time and money to fix it?

Offline hpinson

• Administrator
« Reply #410 on: February 26, 2015, 08:43:52 PM »
Thanks for that Don.

Offline paul s

• CountryPlans member
« Reply #411 on: March 17, 2015, 03:31:10 PM »
thanks don, i was starting to question that in my searching, thanks for the answer whith out me having to ask!!!!!!

Offline rick91351

• Journeyman
  • 5000' in Idaho
« Reply #412 on: March 17, 2015, 05:30:23 PM »
Our propane range works great without power minus the oven, of course.   Biggest problem we had was converting. Frigidaire they no longer comes with the propane jets included.  The seller was supposed to include them when they delivered it.  The propane installer was expecting them.  A phone call found them still at the store.  This cost us another service call.  However knowing what I know now I could have DIYed it other than setting the regulators.  They installed one on the tank and one going into the house do not understand that one.  All for just a range.     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
« Reply #413 on: March 17, 2015, 07:10:50 PM »
They installed one on the tank and one going into the house do not understand that one.  All for just a range.      are two regulators.

The one at the tank is called a first stage regulator and will be red. That drops the tank pressure to 10 to30 PSI. Some are adjustable. The one at the house then lowers the pressure to 11" WC (water column). That one is probably green.  A range also has its own regulator somewhere hidden where the gas pipe connects.

They could have used an integral two stage regulator, black or grey or maybe blue.  Splitting the regulation can allow a smaller diameter pipe from the tank to the house as the higher pressure can push more gas through the smaller pipe. The use of two separate regulators often saves money even though there are two separate regulators.

Offline destination

• Apprentice
    • Sandals Resorts-Travel Agency OKC
« Reply #414 on: March 01, 2016, 08:49:50 AM »
This has always been a dream of mine.  This is great info!

Offline troy

• Apprentice
« Reply #415 on: June 05, 2016, 12:51:09 PM »
Coming in at 199 feet, everything a single person would need...

Thinking something like this would be very quick and easy to build.  I'm thinking that an under-counter fridge (next to the stove) and an under-counter washer/dryer (next to the shower) would leave tons of counter space, which is one of my must-haves for food prep and preserving.

For HVAC, a mini-split should work nicely.  Not sure about hot water though... is there an all-season option for mounting a tankless heater on the outside of the building or perhaps something that can be installed under the sink?

For the bed, I'm thinking a super-single on a loft frame, with a sofa or desk under it.  A sleeping loft might be a possibility but I'm thinking that a usable loft would make the building too tall.

Offline glenn kangiser

• The Troglodyte
  • Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Central California Sierras- Home of Yosemite NP
    • Underground Cabin
« Reply #416 on: June 08, 2016, 11:58:05 AM »
You can get a small water heater to install under the sink and a heated shower head in Electric as an all season solution.  An outdoor mounted gas tankless would not be able to be used in all seasons if freezing is a problem.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.