12'x20' Okanogan Cabin... already likely to go 14'x24' or bigger

Started by nailit69, January 25, 2015, 12:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nailit69

Ya... The .308 is probably adequate but i'd prefer a 12 guage... i've got a brand new 870 but I didn't bring it though.  We had so much stuff I couldn't fit it in if I wanted to.  When I go next time you can bet your a$$ i'm bringing it though.  We kept the .308 close by and my dad had his 9mm on his shoulder the entire time.  We also made a makeshift "Bear Cage" out of a ATV ramp and parked the tractor in front of the entrance to the basement so it would at least make a bunch of noise if one did try to come in.

I'm hoping any confrontations can be resolved with a warning shot cuz I don't want a pissed off bear coming at me.  I've only ever seen 3 bear in my life... 2 were from 100yds or so and the third was a cub running down the road but I was in my truck.  I am prepared to take appropriate action if necessary, I just hope it doesn't come to that.

Adam Roby

Unless you come between a mother bear and it's baby, there is little chance you will be in any real danger.  Generally they scatter when they hear or see you, so if you are in bear territory and walking alone, its usually good to make a lot of noise so they know you are coming.  You've probably walked past a lot of them without ever knowing it, or chased them off.  If you surprise them or come between them, that's usually when there could be some trouble.  Actually, I am more used to black bears... Grizzly bears are a whole other type of creature and not something I am used to.

azgreg

I just hand them a picnic basket and threaten to get the ranger.

Adam Roby

That won't work, they are friends with the ranger, here's the proof!

nailit69

old_guy

Quote from: Adam Roby on May 26, 2016, 04:48:25 PM
Unless you come between a mother bear and it's baby, there is little chance you will be in any real danger.  Generally they scatter when they hear or see you.
Generally it is good to wear a brass bell and carry pepper spray when in bear territory, the bell so they hear you and the spray just in case - they hate pepper spray.  It is also good to know the type of bear where you are, black or grizzly.  Easiest way is to check the droppings.  Black bear droppings are smaller, and usually contain bark and insect parts.  Grizzly droppings are larger, and often contain brass bells and smell like pepper spray.   :)

nailit69

Quote from: old_guy on May 31, 2016, 12:35:55 PM
Generally it is good to wear a brass bell and carry pepper spray when in bear territory, the bell so they hear you and the spray just in case - they hate pepper spray.  It is also good to know the type of bear where you are, black or grizzly.  Easiest way is to check the droppings.  Black bear droppings are smaller, and usually contain bark and insect parts.  Grizzly droppings are larger, and often contain brass bells and smell like pepper spray.   :)

LMFAO!

nailit69

Found another unbelievable score on Craigslist... 8 brand new windows for $250.  They have grids in the top half which i'm not a fan of but I can live with it.  All but two are exactly the size and configuration I was looking for but I can still work with them.  My window/door estimate was $1500 from the local supplier so i'm more than excited about this find.

ChugiakTinkerer

My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

pmichelsen

I love a good CL score... Another place I've used for discount windows are the Habitat for Humanity ReStore locations (http://www.habitat.org/restores/shop).

nailit69

Ya... I spend a fair amount of time at Habitat.  Trying to find enough of what I need is usually the problem... too many people around here that go "picking" there. 

I did score what appears to be a brand new 5 burner GE Profile gas cooktop for my cabin there... started out @$125, didn't have the cash... 2 days later it was tagged for $85, I "bought" it but again didn't have the cash on me... came back the next day to pay for it and it was a Taco Tuesday sale day or something and I walked out the door paying $35... score.

pmichelsen

Quote from: nailit69 on June 10, 2016, 05:45:56 AMI did score what appears to be a brand new 5 burner GE Profile gas cooktop for my cabin there... started out @$125, didn't have the cash... 2 days later it was tagged for $85, I "bought" it but again didn't have the cash on me... came back the next day to pay for it and it was a Taco Tuesday sale day or something and I walked out the door paying $35... score.

Good things come to those that wait... [cool]

nailit69

Headed out tonight for 10 days up at my place.  My dad brought his 5th wheel up there earlier this week so we have a place to stay, but more importantly... a place to shower.  That long without "facilities" and things can get a little ripe... 3 days without is my max.

In an effort to save a few bucks i'm going to pick up my plate and studs on the flatbed trailer and keep the delivery to one load delivered on the boom truck when they set the ridge beam on Wednesday and they won't charge me a delivery fee just 1 hr truck time for the boom truck.

My "free gravel" guy dropped the ball... not so much as a shovel full... I figured as much d*.

nailit69

We did it!  Just got back into town late last night after spending 17 days working on our place.  As soon as I can dig out the camera i'll post a few pics. 

We were able to get the footings for the 2 porch roofs poured, get everything framed up, sheeted the walls and roof, Tyvek'd everything and installed 7 of the 8 windows and do a little dirt work.  I didn't give it 100% everyday... only about 70% lol... things got done, just not at my normal pace.  I came up a few studs short of getting my kitchen exterior wall framed up but it frames up under the porch roof anyway... it's all under cover and ready to roof, I just need to finish about 9' of walls and install fascia boards in a few weeks.

The "Blue Tarp" neighbor "Bill" turned out to be a huge help as did his buddy, another guy named "Larry" from the other side of the mountain.  They were there around 730 or 800 almost every morning to help out and brought tools, ladders, cement mixer, water, etc..  I bought as much beer as they could drink and cooked every night for them.  I really do owe those guys more than just my thanks... I don't think i'd be done yet without them.  My dad was a huge help but he's 71 and just can't do as much he used to... he was in charge of giving out (sometimes unwanted) advice, dirt work, keeping the RV full of water, cooking, keeping the beer cold and mixing drinks.

I also managed to ride my dirtbike over 250 miles... I went for a ride almost every evening so that was a nice bonus and i'm glad I brought it, it allowed me to explore a lot of the mountain in a short amount of time, I know where the majority of the roads go to now.

pmichelsen

Can't wait to see pictures. I've got my dad helping me put a new roof on my place in a week, while he's only 68, it still makes me nervous. His brain tells him he can still work like he's in his 40's, however his body is quick to remind him, that's not the case.

nailit69

Trying to get my pics to upload to photobucket... my computer sucks sooooo bad.

Ya, my dad has always been pretty active and hands on when it comes to projects like this and in the last 2 or 3 years he's started getting tired after only a few hours of work, his strength is starting to fade, his grip is going, etc..  I think it's hard for him to sit back and watch rather than getting in up to his elbows in work.

nailit69

Here's a couple of teasers

First wall up...

Glu-Lam set and mostly framed up and ready for rafters...

Putting up a couple of rafters...

Porch rafters...

Working the other side...

Loft floor beams...

Putting the first sheets down...

Finished with the roof...

Last of the wall sheeting...

Going to cover that popout with stone veneer...

A couple of windows in the loft...

There's more... I just need to remember which camera they're on.

I was able to get a full 4/12 pitch on the porch roofs which is better than the 3/12 I thought I was going to get although I had to drop the beam to roughly 84" A.F.F. to do it which cuts down on the view a little but it's not the end of the world.  The bottom of the loft floor beams are a little lower than I wanted too at around 84" but I didn't want to lose anymore height in the loft.  I tried to save money and only do the necessary framing for now and didn't frame the loft floor yet. 

In all, i'm happy with how it turned out and it lays out a little bigger than I had envisioned so that's nice too.  With the basement, main floor and loft, it comes in at around 896 sq. ft. which is bigger than the house I live in now.

NathanS

Your place looks awesome. What are you thinking for siding?

Did you put hangers on the glulam to rafter connection?

OzarkBrandon

I love your build, thanks for taking the time to take and share all the photos.  I couldn't believe the extra work you did on the popouts, I don't have much experience with block, but that looked like a lot of extra work.  I do think it will be worth it where you cover the end popout with rock -- that is going to look incredible.

Thanks again and keep the posts coming - I'm really enjoying following along with your build.

nailit69

Quote from: NathanS on July 20, 2016, 06:55:38 PM
Your place looks awesome. What are you thinking for siding?

Did you put hangers on the glulam to rafter connection?

Thinking about vertical siding... either a board and batt or 8" "channel" and then i'm going to burn it like I did the posts and beams/rafters.  I'm hoping it looks 50 yrs. old the day I get it sided.

I haven't installed the hardware yet. Simpson has a new hanger that installs after the rafters are up... sort of a cross between a structural joist hanger and the old rafter hangers... it slips on afterwards and toenails through the rafter.  I do need to come up with a hanger for the porch rafters that doesn't show, I don't want my burnt beams covered in advertising for Simpson.

nailit69

Quote from: OzarkBrandon on July 20, 2016, 11:03:34 PM
I love your build, thanks for taking the time to take and share all the photos.  I couldn't believe the extra work you did on the popouts, I don't have much experience with block, but that looked like a lot of extra work.  I do think it will be worth it where you cover the end popout with rock -- that is going to look incredible.

Thanks again and keep the posts coming - I'm really enjoying following along with your build.

Thanks for checking it out...

Although they were a real pain, they're worth it.  I did the popouts for a few reasons, extra space mainly, but I have to agree that the stone will look amazing when it's done.  I need to find a nice skull with horns or antlers to put on that wall when it's done.

Starvin

Awesome! Cant wait to see how you fit out the interior!

ChugiakTinkerer

Wow, that was a productive couple of weeks.  It looks great, and I'm really digging the panoramic view.  Any photos from the loft windows to share?

Oh yeah, how heavy was the glu-lam?
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

nailit69

Quote from: ChugiakTinkerer on July 21, 2016, 12:08:25 PM
Wow, that was a productive couple of weeks.  It looks great, and I'm really digging the panoramic view.  Any photos from the loft windows to share?

Oh yeah, how heavy was the glu-lam?

It could've been more productive and we'd have been back sooner but it's hard to leave... I kept saying "let's stay another day"... we had 10 days set aside for the trip and spent an extra week there.

No pics from the loft... not a lot to see from that side except trees.

I think the Glu-lam weighed in around 400-450 pounds... I could pick up one end waist high but I don't think I could've got it any higher than that though, the lumber company set it in place with a knuckle boom truck.