new here..need advice

Started by kim(WVa), February 15, 2010, 10:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kim(WVa)

HI ..I'm new here ,have been reading posts for a while now  ..lots of useful info..we had a 24 x 32,2 story barn style house shell built...ready to install insulation..will we need more than the insulation in the wall?(fiberglass with paper)..there is T 1-11 on the exterior,  we put the insulation up without  the interior walls and it sweated on us,so we took it back down,will putting up insulation plus the beadboard remedy this?..really need advice,husband  and I are both rookies at this..want to do our own work to save money..please & thank you  for any advice....kim(WVa)
** the room had been being heated as well...waiting to hear from all of you...

Freeholdfarm

Put the insulation back up, then put a vapor barrier up over it -- on the inside of the wall, behind the sheetrock.  This will keep condensation from forming on your insulation. 

It was a good question, and a good thing that you noticed what was happening.  Wet insulation isn't very useful! 

Kathleen

glenn kangiser

Looks like Kathleen beat me to it but, it's already typed so why waste it....

Hi Kim.  You will need a vapor barrier on the heated side.  Warm air holds more moisture than cold so as you heat it and work - live - breathe inside, the moisture is suspended in the air.  when it goes through your insulation and gets to the back of the cold outside wall, it can no longer carry the moisture.  It reaches it's dew point and becomes  visible liquid ... water.    

I seem to recall John saying that a good layer of paint will work as a vapor barrier or I assume you could put a layer of 6 mi polyl under the interior finish board.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

kim(WVa)

thank you very much....is the brown paper on the insulation  not a vapor barrier? please remember we're rookies,so some questions might sound like repeats or (stupid)....later kim(WVa)

MountainDon

The brown Kraft paper is a vapor barrier as long as it is not damaged.

If the interior is finished in drywall there are primers that act as a vapor barrier layer.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

The Kraft paper may let a bit of moisture through if loose at the studs, until it is covered with wall board - then the primer Don mentioned will add additional vapor barrier.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

w* Kim. 

Did you install a house wrap before teh T111?  If you are using the insulation paper side toward the interior wall I had always heard not to then use 6 mil pastic in addition.  One or the other but not both as moisture will get trapped between.  Make sure that the tabs on the paper are pulled taunt when stapling to the stud sides.  As Don has stated any holes made in the paper during installation needs to be repaired ( taped over).

Where abouts are you located in the Mountain State?

kim(WVa)

redover: hi..we are in central wva..between clarksburg & parkersburg...we didnt put wrap on the house...when they built it for us  they put just the t 1 11 on.. the only part of the insulation that was ruined was the part that we had stapled to the stud...other than that it is fine..we caught it  just in time.. we will be putting up  beadboard ply.. i think that is what it is (not paneling)..pretty thick,(3/8  i think)   so   we are to put up the insulation(with paper towards inside?),then the beadboard,will that be enough or should we put some insulation board next to the beadboard?(husbands idea)..i hope  this makes  sense  im still learning the terminology..thanks for all the replys

glenn kangiser

Insulation board can isolate the studs from the inside and increase your R value.  It is a good idea.  They transfer more cold than the open insulated cavity does.

Redoverfarm

Sounds as if you are in Dodridge or Ritchie Co along Route 50.  Spent many a trip that direction to Charleston before I 79 was finished.  At least you should be able to get some decent windows at Ellenboro @ Simonton Windows

Yes the insulation board will help on the insulation factor as Glenn has stated.  But with the orientation of the vapor barrier correct you shouldn't have any problems.  I think I would paint the back of the wall covering before insulation.  If you want to see if you have done the correct steps in the insulation then just tack a piece of plastic across the interior studs.  If there is moisture acccumulating on the back side of the plastic then you are getting air through your insulation and barrier.

poppy

Kim  w* to the forum.

I strongly recommend that you go down to the Referral Links section of this forum and read Vapor Barriers for Dummies.

There is a pretty universal misunderstanding between the terms vapor barrier and vapor retarder.

It concerns me a little when builders in 4 season parts of the country talk about putting in 6 mil. plastic.  It's not necessarily a good idea.

MountainDon

There's good info there. Here's a LINK right to it. I made it sticky too.

In fact that building science web site is chock full of very good info
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

wvwoodsman

Hi,

I hope i'm not butting in . I just noticed we must be neighbors. My wife and i bought outside of Harrisville . Thought we may be able to help each other , even just for info. on contracters we use and stuff. We are going to break ground soon to start our cabin. What kind of foundation did you use ?

Thanks , Curtis