Shed Roof on 20 x 30

Started by Tennessee Pride(Guest), May 15, 2006, 05:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennessee Pride(Guest)

Hello Everyone,

Hope all is going well. I have just completed getting my 20 x 30 in the dry and am able to lock it up. This was a major milestone for me and my family. I basically followed the plans that I purchased from this site with the exception of using 12' walls instead of the 10' walls in the plan. The roof pitch to the cabin is 12/12 with a 16 inch overhang. I am now in the process of deciding how I will built the porches for this cabin. I plan on having a small front porch as detailed in the cabin plans and would also like to have a screened in porch on the back side of the cabin (I have a set of french doors leading nowhere currently).  My plan was to construct a 14' deep by 18' wide porch with a shed roof. When I started putting the design down on paper I realized that I may have issues with the roof pitch. The cabin is on piers and approximately 4' off the ground. If I drop the deck to the porch 1' below the sub-floor of the cabin (requiring a step down onto porch) I come up with a pitch of around 3/12. This seems to be very flat. The cabin is located in East Tennessee with little snow loading issues. Does anyone have any suggestions, recommendations, or general observations on a 3/12 roof or possibly a better alternative. The dimesion for the porch is based on the wood I have currently (plenty of 2x12x14'). Thanks in advance.

John Raabe

A 3:12 pitch will look rather low, especially compared to the 12:12 but there is no special problem with keeping it waterproof. Almost all roofing materials can handle that slope.

You might also look at doing a hip roof where the sides come up the sidewall as well. These often look better at lower pitches than sheds.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

JRR

I currently installing a metal roof over a porch.  Slope is approx 3/12 ... maybe even a bit less.  It looks much better "in the real" than it did on paper.  And I'm amazed at how a tool, such as a drill, will slide down this roof faster than this fat man can move.

Tennessee Pride(Guest)

Thanks for the advice and tips. I wish now that I would have incorporated a hip roof into the main roof. But since I already have the main roof finsihed I guess I will add a shed roof with the 3/12 pitch and a step down onto the porch. It is funny how an issue like this is not fully revealed until the end of the project.

Amanda_931

There are or were a lot of houses around here--smallish rectangle, gable end facing the road, shed roof porch(es) on front (and back, although a lot of time that one has been turned into an addition.

But the hipness (to coin a word) is just on the porch roof, if it exists at all.

There is also a fairly frequent problem of the framing for that roof being light enough that the roof sags a bit or a lot.