16x12 Cabin in Maine

Started by Bishopknight, May 18, 2008, 10:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Looking back at reply #36 here's what I now see...

...and the urls don't work     d* d*   I give up   ???

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I would say Picasa does not like our forum - I copied the URL. copied the pic and put it into Photobucket and I think it is here. hmm

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

I thought of that, but there were too many pictures.  ::) ::) :-[ :-[
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Bishopknight

MountainDon,

I moved one of those cabin pics to the directory where all my house pics are. it worked the first time in IE7. Then after refreshing the page, it wouldn't work anymore.

Thankfully this doesn't happen with the pictures I take. Oh well we tried.

MountainDon

Odd. ???  So maybe it's those particular image files? If you are of a real curious mind on this, here's what I'd do to satisfy my curiosity. I'd open the image in an editor, make some very slight change, like increase the size a small amount, then save it under a new name, upload it and try inserting in an image. I know that doesn't seem to make any logical sense but I did once have a series of pictures that my computer could not open and doing that made a difference. Or just leave sleeping horses lie there and forget about it.

Bishopknight

Still no luck.

Heres the new pic, resized to 80% of original, uploaded to a new spot in the gallery and renamed with a different name and a lowercase .jpg extension.

Note: I can get the pic and the previous one to show in IE7 if I right click > show picture. So im stumped now.

MountainDon

d* d*

Nuts.  Let's move on to something else.   ;D

muldoon

MountainDon

Mike 870

Redoverfarm

BK I can't figure out why you are building again.  The shed is real sharp.

glenn kangiser

I have seen some of the sites block multiple showings to other sites - they don't allow leaching asd they want all of the photo sales, advertising views etc.    They stop the pix after the first or second one.  Yahoo used to do that  until they quit hosting pix altogether.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

2zwudz

This place is VERY nice!!!  You did a great job and you have a good eye for what looks good.  Thanks for sharing. This is what makes this forum as good as it is.  When I get further along in my project I will post my pictures but unfortunately I don't move as fast as others.   d*

Thanks
Mark

ScottA

I agree, it's real sharp.

My ISP gives me 5 mb of space for pics or whatever. I guess others don't have this?

cbc58

Are the pictures you posted really of a 12x16 cabin?  great setup if it is... that would make the interior about 15x11 w/ 2x6 framing...  so great use of space.

phalynx

I am inspired!!!!!  Excellent work!

wildbil

Why would you ever need any more than that? that little home looks cozy and well planned out...Dare I demand: more pictures? ;D

Amazing Job bk [cool]
"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."
-Thomas Jefferson

Bishopknight

Hey guys,

I'm assuming all the raving compliments are for the latest pics of someone elses cabin I posted. Hearing all the compliments makes me glad I posted them ( as inspiration for others) even though they are not mine. Otherwise you guys would never have seen them more than likely. I just feel that the person did such a good job on it that people here would appreciate the layout and time he put into it. Plus it kind of fit with the size of mine and the whole idea of posting my pics is to inspire others.

FYI: Those pics of the 12x16 were actually from ebay, he was selling that cabin for around $11,000 last spring. It was actually on a wheeled trailer. There is a wheel bay in the bathroom if you look.

Anyways, I hope that clears that up.

I am thinking about changing my entire 12x16 cabin completely next year to be more of a "hotel cabin" rather than to the one most recently mentioned.  Reason being is that no one wants to sleep in the loft. The idea sounds ok at first, but then try to tell your parents to climb a ladder! So I figure, eliminate the kitchen, move the front door where it is now to the opposite side where the kitchen window is and keep the bathroom as it currently is. Then remove the bench I made and put a queen bed in that large space there. Lastly remove the loft over the new bed area to make it more roomy. Then I'd have a "hotel" style guest cabin :)

MountainDon

Quote from: Bishopknight on December 22, 2008, 10:27:56 PM
.... Reason being is that no one wants to sleep in the loft. The idea sounds ok at first, but then try to tell your parents to climb a ladder!

Precisely, and one of the reasons we did not include a loft in our cabin design; except we're the parents.  ;D  For my money, ladders are for work, not for accessing where I sleep.

wildbil

I'm young and hope to sleep in a loft, so when I get older it will be normal for me. What am I saying, I'll never be normal.  ;D
"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."
-Thomas Jefferson

cbc58

I was looking at this and trying to figure out where to put in a murphy bed.  I had seen one once that had a fold down kitchen table part which made alot of sense for a small space. 

i wish we were up north

I saw that table bed as well and wrote down the name of the company, Inova.  Their website is http://www.inovallc.com/ 

I believe this will be a pretty expensive option, however, they and other companies also market a floor mount wall bed mechanism and you can build your own.  Good idea for a small space.

Bishopknight

What a great link! Thanks for finding that!

Since my ceilings are 8ft I could probably integrate that into my floorplan as long as I remove a window. 3/4" plywood & piano hinges, then a nice sheet of laminate for the table top. It would be great if the chairs could become nightstands! You can get those aluminum pole handles from Ikea , a set is $10. The end of the table can use shelf brackets.

Jens

That bed is sweet!  Wouldn't be too hard to build either.  The chairs could just have a flat back on them, and hinge forward.  Should have a lock of some sort to keep them from accidentally folding though.

A friend of mine got this for his girls for Christmas.  http://www.kiddietoys.com/kidkraft-light-blue-retro-play-kitchen-w-frig-p-1844.html

If it were enlarged a bit, but used small appliances, it could make a usable small space kitchen.  I envision a cutting board that fits over the sink, and then can be flipped to sit over the burners on runners that give it some drainage into the sink, then it is a drainboard.  Use a large toaster oven instead of an oven, and a two burner cooktop. 

I would like to build one of these, just have no reason to.  No money either, but no reason!
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Bishopknight

LOL Jens.

That would be cool. Good idea on the seats.

I found some website that sells parts for making your own murphy bed. http://www.wallbed.com/
It looks like a complete total rip off. They want $299 for this???... I bet I could buy make shift parts at Lowes for less than $75