Anyone used "Ditra" before?

Started by Redoverfarm, December 29, 2008, 05:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Has anyone out there used Ditra as a tile underlayment instead of Concrete backerboard.  Normally I would use concrete but with 1/2" ply, 1/2" marble and thinset I will have a elevation problem meeting the 3/4" hardwood.  I can eliminate the majority by going with Ditra.

http://www.schluter.com/6_1_ditra.aspx

cfabien

Well, I just today put down about 80 sqft of Ditra in my master bathroom for a minor remodel. From what I have read on the tile forums at johnbridge.com it's a great product. The biggest downside is the price, it's about $85 for a 53 sqft roll at Home Depot. That's more expensive than the tile I'm putting over it. I chose it for the same reason as you plus my subfloor was marginal so I figured the ditra would be extra insurance against cracking. I am installing an electric tile warming system under the floor and wanted the tile to be level with future hardwood.

You should be aware if you are installing stone tile it has a requirement of L/720 for the floor deflection versus L/360 for ceramic tile. And I think with the Ditra they specificy 1.25" of subfloor instead of the 3/4" that is required for tile. So you will probably need to beef up the floor to meet that. There is a deflection calculator on the johnbridge.com website if you need one, it's the best website I've found for tile information and advice.

Redoverfarm

cfabien  been there and done that on the deflection.  I talked with them earlier and ended up putting a 4"X14" beam midways on a 16' span.  I am like you on the cost.  If I had it to do over then maybe I would go with the tile.  But I got the 1/2" marble at tile prices. I just hadn't talked to anyone that had ever used it before and was wondering how hard it was to install. They advertise that you can immediately lay the tile on top after it is applied with no wait time.  Not real sure I will gio this route or give it a day to set.   BTW Lowes around here has never heard about it or stock it.  So it will have to be ordered.  Thanks again

John

cfabien

It was very easy to install, much easier than concrete backer board which I have used before. I was a little leery about laying tile right over it, but after bedding it into the thinset underneath I can't say I observed any movement when walking on it or kneeling on it with knee pads. I gave it maybe an hour to set up a little after I laid it down.

glenn kangiser

I used a vinyl slipsheet over wood to allow for movement of the wood - no problems except one area where there was formerly a wall and the fact that I never finished it.... thought I would say it before Sassy did. [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Whitlock

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 30, 2008, 02:54:16 AM
I used a vinyl slipsheet over wood to allow for movement of the wood - no problems except one area where there was formerly a wall and the fact that I never finished it.... thought I would say it before Sassy did. [waiting]

And roots growing up though it rofl rofl rofl
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

glenn kangiser

The other house...

The roots here are for moisture control... no faster way to dry the ground than a good bull pine root pipeline outa here.  [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.