Protecting insulation from rodents in a wood cabin

Started by Xeta, October 07, 2017, 06:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xeta

Hello.

We are having a 3x4 meter (about 10 x 13 feet) wood cabin, with a wood floor and piers foundation, built by a local carpenter. The insulation of the floor, walls and roof will all be made of rock wool. The walls will be made of two wood panels with rock wool in between while the floor and roof will be made of OSB on one side, wood panels on the other side with rock wool in between.

I have been advised to have the insulation covered with screening or such (especially under the floor), to keep rodents out of it. However, as I have practically no construction skills or knowledge, I'm not exactly sure what this might be referring to.

So, could you please help me clarify, what kind of screening could be used for this purpose? How could we protect the insulation from rodents?

Thank you.

Redoverfarm

Commonly known as " hardware cloth". It comes on a roll of various widths & lengths.  Goggle it to see what is available.  Majority use 1/4" square.

Xeta

Thank you. Then, exactly how and where would we apply it?

Redoverfarm

It is generally attached to the underside or bottom of the floor joist.  You can attach with nail by hand or air stapler.  By applying to this location it will deter rodents from nesting in your insulation.

Xeta