Author Topic: Inserting Images into Forum Topics  (Read 27419 times)

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Jemez Mountains, NM; that's pronounced HEY-mess
    • My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
Inserting Images into Forum Topics
« on: December 27, 2011, 09:39:28 AM »
Photobucket has once again evolved and much of what is listed below is no longer applicable as to the precise details. The basic idea remains the same... to insert images in a topic the image must be located (hosted) on a server someplace on the internet. Then the Image Tag is inserted in the message.

This topic is to replace the now 4 year old Photobucket, How-to topic. That topic is somewhat out of date as Photobucket's website and system has evolved over time. Rather than just add to that topic or edit it I thought I'd make a new topic. The original topic is still on the server. It may be accessed with the following link.
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=3512.0

First some basics. You need to have your images stored somewhere on the Internet with an address that can be used by the forum software. We do not store images here. I'm going to assume the user has a Photobucket account and knows how to upload images and how to sort them into albums, etc. Many of us use Photobucket as it is still free and simple to use. It is also "forum friendly" - not all image host services are. So while this tutorial begins with Photobucket there are other services that can be used. It doesn't really matter what service you use. We all like photographs and drawings because they can illustrate what you want to do and what you have done. Much of this information should be applicable to other image hosting services. Together we can add details that may be helpful to users of other hosting services.

Be aware that the forum software has image size limits. Try to keep your images to a maximum image size of 800 x 600 for viewing in a web forum. Photobucket does allow storing images at larger sizes. However, images larger than 800 x 800 will be shrunk by the forum software after the image uploads to the topic. Images that are very large take longer to upload. Slow uploading of an image can discourage those with slower connections from viewing your project.

Note that image size means two things; the pixel x pixel size and the actual file size. Image editing software permits the resizing of the physical pixel x pixel size as well as the file size (by reducing quality in a JPG image for example). An image of 800 x 600 maximum with a file size of less than 175 KB will load quicker than a camera size original. They will also display quite nicely on the typical computer monitor.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 06:36:53 AM by MountainDon »
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time and money to fix it?

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
Re: Inserting Images into Forum Topics
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 11:14:17 AM »
Alright, you have images on Photobucket and you want to place one or more in a topic message.

I find this easiest if two open browser windows are used, or two (or more) tabs open in the same browser window. One for the CountryPlans Forum and one for Photobucket.

The current version of Photobucket allows you to use the album view to select images. Let's open Photobucket to an album page. That will look something like this...

Place the cursor over the thumbnail image you want to use. A new small window opens...

There should be a list of 4 "tags" that appear. The fourth one down, named "IMG Code" is the one we want to use. Place the cursor over the IMG Code tag...

Clicking on the code will copy the code.

Now go to the Country Plans topic where the image is to be inserted. Place the cursor where the image will be placed...

Paste the code using either the mouse or simply by pressing and holding the Ctrl key, then pressing the "V" key.

That's it. The required tags and the code for that image will be pasted into the message.

When the topic message is saved, the post will appear with the image in place.

Note: it is important to retain that image file on photobucket in the same folder. if the file is deleted, renamed or moved to another photobucket folder the link will be broken and the image will not display in the forum topic.

Note: There is a limit to the amount of free space allocated to a photobucket account. By using smaller size images you can get more images stored. Additional free photobucket accounts may also be opened as long as a different email address is used.

Note: The IMG Code can also be seen and copied when viewing the larger photo on photobucket...

Multiple images may be inserted into any message.

It helps organize the images used if at one or two line spaces are inserted between ING Code tag lines. Just press the Enter key twice after each tag line is pasted into the message. That will introduce a space between images.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time and money to fix it?

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 12:46:45 PM »
Picasa.

Using images in a Picasa web album is also easy, but different.

The simple method involves opening the image in Picasa. Then holding the cursor over the image, right click the mouse...

Select and click on "Copy Image Location". That copies some code.

Then go to the forum message field. Place the cursor where you want to place the image. Find and click the "Insert Image" icon from the buttons or icons above the compose message field. ..

Clicking the Insert Image icon places the IMG tags where the cursor is situated. The cursor will be placed in between the leading and closing tags. Do NOt click anywhere on that page...

Now it is simply a matter of pasting the code that was copied from Picasa in between those two tags. The easiest method is usually to use the Ctrl+V method of pasting that was outlined above.

That will place an image the same size as was viewed on the Picasa page.

Picasa also has methods of supplying code for specific size images, from thumbnail size up to 800 pixels. On the Picasa photo page look to the lower right. Find and click on the "Link to this Photo" link. That will open some fields where the image size is selected. Then you click on the "Embed Image" code and use right-click to copy the code.  That code is then pasted in between the IMG tags the same as above.

This right click, copy, then paste into IMG tags process does work with other photo sources as well. Not all but many.

There is also an older topic covering Picasa
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=7810.0

Offline redc52

• Apprentice
  • Welcome to the CP-Forum
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 07:16:10 AM »
HOW ABOUT INSERTING A pdf?? from Dropbox?

Offline UK4X4

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 07:55:18 AM »
In Acrobat-

File-export -jpeg

ie you turn your pdf into a jpeg image

Then use as above to link to that file

Offline John Raabe

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Whidbey Island, WA
    • CountryPlans - About Us
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 12:19:13 PM »
There is a test being done on the Photobucket alternative imgur. Click link below:

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12976.msg168933;topicseen#msg168933
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Offline ColchesterCabin

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 07:43:04 AM »
John,

I have been absent for a while now and want to repost but it seems photobucket has redevloped itself and the old method of uploading photos does not work anymore. any suggestions how to post my photos using photobucket?
Visit my thread would love to have your input http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12139.0
Feel free to visit my Photobuckect album of all pictures related to this build http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p566/ColchesterCabin/

Offline ColchesterCabin

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 07:50:27 AM »
As it turns out was a internet explorer out date issue I just switched to firefox and chrome and viola looks like old times again...grr... Oh well live and learn...  ???
Visit my thread would love to have your input http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12139.0
Feel free to visit my Photobuckect album of all pictures related to this build http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p566/ColchesterCabin/

Offline John Raabe

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Whidbey Island, WA
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 08:09:57 AM »
Browser issues (and there various solutions) are just so much fun!  d*

Offline ColchesterCabin

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 12:04:37 PM »
As a side note where as my thread has been not posted to for so long is it a still active post to go back to?

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 01:25:20 PM »
Unless a topic has been specifically locked by an admin any member can still post messages.  When a topic has been "in limbo" for a period of time there may be a popup warning that states the topic has not been posted to in NNN days and are you sure you want to post... click in the affirmative and it posts.

Editing of old posts may not be possible
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:59:27 PM by MountainDon »

Offline hpinson

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 02:33:16 PM »
At the moment, I'd consider using a free image sharing service like imgur.com or Google Drive. There are many others.

Offline azgreg

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 05:58:24 PM »
Is it me or did we lose a lot of Photobucket links?

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 06:09:00 PM »
Contents posted to Photobucket remain the property of whomever opened the Photobucket account. Some delete images after a while. Others may close their PB account for whatever reasons. When that happens.... poof!  We have no control.  The reason we don't store the images on the forum server is storage space and bandwidth cost. When images are hosted on a service like Photobucket, PB pays for the bandwidth.

Offline azgreg

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 06:10:45 PM »
There has been a number of threads I've looked at within the last couple of weeks that the links are broken including in this one.

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 08:03:38 PM »
Sometimes it is the fault of the connection or photobucket or wherever the image is stored. Photobucket does seem to have occasional stalls.  When I first opened this topic just now only the old barn image came up.  I had to reload the page to make all the others display. At times that problem can also be caused by the photo owner uploading a huge file to photobucket. When the forum software calls for photobucket to deliver the images to the viewers computer that can be a drag on the viewers bandwidth. Some folks with slow connections seldom see all the images unless they wait for minutes.  I try to resize and shrink the file size when I link to a hosted image for that reason. Not everybody does, some upload camera originals in megapixel sizes.

Offline azgreg

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 05:50:47 AM »
They're all good for me today. Yesterday I could only see about half of the pics I tried to look at.

Offline John Raabe

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Whidbey Island, WA
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 09:19:54 AM »
Interesting. Were the files that wouldn't resolve but now are OK Photobucket files?

Offline azgreg

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 09:30:12 AM »
Interesting. Were the files that wouldn't resolve but now are OK Photobucket files?

Yes John, they were. I've been trying to find an example of the Photobucket message that was in place of the photos but I can't find one. If I find one I'll do a screen shot and post it here.

Offline John Raabe

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Whidbey Island, WA
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 09:42:10 AM »
Several web services seem to be dropping support for popular tools. Google is reportedly abandoning Picasa a photo edit and storage program that I have used for years.