Stair help please?

Started by devildog, March 25, 2010, 08:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devildog

I think Ive got everything the way my wife and I want. The only thing I cant figure out is if the stairs will work. I want the smallest set of code stairs I can have. I know they have to be atleast 3' wide,that no problem. The thing  Im not sure of is the 6'8" height. Im going to have an "L" shape as you can see from the pics.Ive added a few pics so you get the idea.
My main question is, If you have a vaulted roof does the 6'8" measurement come from the center or the lowest point.
Im trying to figure out if ive got enough room between the platform and the end wall of the bathroom going up so that someone doesnt bump there head on the steps.Im just saying that because I know the inspetor wouldnt allow it.
The walls will be 12'. And it doesnt matter too much how far the steps go out downward from the platform,I still would like them the shortest allowed.

We are getting real close to actually doing this.We are trying to sale our place in florida and as soon as it dries up enough we're going to put a camper on our land to live in while we build the house.
Still dont have a job yet ,but had a good interview in Radford ,Virginia this past week.So, Im trying to put my thinkin cap back on.Steps are hard to figure out for me ,Id appreciate any help youll can give me on this.
Thanks Darrell
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

MountainDon

Quote from: devildog on March 25, 2010, 08:04:58 PM

My main question is, If you have a vaulted roof does the 6'8" measurement come from the center or the lowest point.

I believe I'm correct in saying that the distance is measured from each tread to the lowest point above that step. So if the stairs ascend in the same direction that the ceiling slopes upwards, you'd measure from the nose of each tread straight up to the ceiling.

have you seen this guide?

http://www.stairways.org/pdf/2006%20Stair%20IRC%20SCREEN.pdf
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

devildog

don , Ihave seen that I think its where I got most of my info.
If you look at pic 5 on that site it shows a flat ceiling,but it also shows the arrow dead center. Thats why I was asking if the 6'8" comes from the center
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.

Redoverfarm

Darrell I believe that is from any of the tread surface (Slope plane on stairs and on landing) .  I don't believe you can desiginate which side of the steps to walk up to miss a lower heigth.   ;D.  Radford has Blacksburg near by which is VPI.  There is also White/Volvo.  I have a friend that works for a tool development company in that area.  Don't really know what your background is but I will ask her and see what is available if it is something that you are familar with.

Page 4 & Photo # 4 & 5 of this

http://www.stairways.org/pdf/2006%20Stair%20IRC%20SCREEN.pdf

I think it is the same site that Don posted.

John_M

A set of winder steps might help solve that problem.  It allows you to continue to step up as you are turning.  A simple search on this site would show you some photos I would think?
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

devildog

Redover,your probably right,I was just hopeing for some break. because I think its going to be tight.
Our church has a 16' wall,and I thought about measuring down from the top and using tape to mark it out. I may still do it.
Id appreciate it on the job thing,Ill apply anywhere and do anything.I feel pretty confident about my interview though.They said theyd call me in acouple of days and let me know either way. Today was 2,praying Ill here something tomorrow.2 months now without a job.If I get it ,It'll definetly secure my move to virginia.

John M, I never gave much thought to winders,maybe i'll look into them.
Darrell

MountainDon

Darrell, how's this for an idea? A while back I caught a foreign paid spammer posting spam about a spiral stair builder in PA. I contacted the company and they had no idea that the company they had hired to help their search engine ranking was a spammer. Anyhow he seemed like a nice guy and offered to help on any kind of stairs. I'm pretty sure he doesn't monitor the forum but he offered assistance.

Here's links to the topics here on the forum
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=8537.0

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=8461.msg111193#msg111193

His name is Rich. His email is under his avatar in the post sidebar. Why don't you email him to have a look at the topic here and ask what his advice would be?  Can't hurt.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

devildog

Thanks don, its worth a shot.
Darrell

Don_P

Darrell,
B is the correct measurement point. If the wall is 144" tall, subtract 80", the platform can be no taller than 64". Roughly scaling it looks like you are 104" from floor to floor.Max rise is 8-1/4" min tread is 9" deep.

Divide 104" by 13 risers=8" rise, that'll be 12 treads counting a landing as a tread. Top of 8th rise is at 64", that's the top of the landing, you will top out no less than 6' from the kneewall, the stairs run 56" from the base of the platform out, you can cut that by as much as 18" by putting 2 winders in. This is not a comfortable stair but gives you an idea on how to figure it maybe. 

MikeOnBike

I recently converted a 2-story duplex to a single family dwelling by adding an internal staircase.  The county inspector essentially told me the same thing that MountainDon said.  Any surface of the stairs has to be at least 6'-8" below the ceiling surface directly above it.

devildog

Don P, Im trying hard to take all that in,maybe itll make more sense tomorrow.Is that an exception:8-1/4" max rise and 9" min. tread depth? Do the winders take the place of the platform?
Thanks for your help on this,I'll get some paper and see what I can make of it tomorrow.
Darrell

John_M

I will add that you absolutely want a comfortable (and more importantly safe) stair!!!!!  Stairs that push the limits of the code are sometimes difficult to maneuver.  I would consider your stairs carefully and build them as comfortable as your plans would allow (bigger runs and smaller rises)!!!  Think of the safety of those who may use them?  Elderly (you will become one eventually)?, children running up and down playing?  Walking up and down in the dark?
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

desimulacra

I am working on a set of winders (I think that is what they are, never designed any before d*) Too busy to finish them today but there is a pic of what I have so far.

Arrgh how do u post pics? c*
http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/26-092740L/8321/jpg/03/2010/img6/glowfoto
West Tennessee

MountainDon

The picture file must first be uploaded to an image hosting service such as photobucket. There are many. Then the code from that site is pasted into the message here where you placed those image tags.

desimulacra

West Tennessee

John Raabe

Stair winders

Stair headroom

Max rise = 7.75", Min run = 10"

This from the 2006 IRC
None of us are as smart as all of us.

JRR

This (May 2010) month's issue of Fine Homebuilding has 5 pages devoted to stair case design and construction: "Frame to finish; We simplify stairs".

Don_P

Quote from: devildog on March 25, 2010, 11:10:22 PM
Don P, Im trying hard to take all that in,maybe itll make more sense tomorrow.Is that an exception:8-1/4" max rise and 9" min. tread depth? Do the winders take the place of the platform?
Thanks for your help on this,I'll get some paper and see what I can make of it tomorrow.
Darrell

Darrell, it was late and I was typing before bed. The max rise and minimum tread numbers are for Virginia only, this is one of those areas where the codebooks do vary. This will be in everyone's IRC in chapter 3. when reading the codebook if you see one solid vertical line in the margin you are reading a change between versions of all IRC codebooks by the ICC, a national change. If you see a double bar you are reading a section that only pertains to your state. Those dimensions I gave were double barred so VA only. That is not a fun stair though. 1 more riser and tread would make it much more comfortable. If you do winders consult our codebook as well, we are looser on the regular straight stair and tighter on the winder than national. I do try to eliminate winders whenever I can, I think they are ankle turners.
If you need more help holler  :)
Thanks for the heads up JRR, I've let mine lapse, have to find a copy.

John Raabe

Codes are always subject to local interpretation and modification. Use them as guidelines rather than commandments. Some areas may be more strict, others more lenient, and some are open to negotiation.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

devildog

Thanks to allfor replies and thoughts.
Unfortunately JohnM, I always make the wrong choice and regret it later. I do want a small staircase.
John Raabe, My mothers maiden name is Raub. I assume they both have the same sound. Anyway, that pic answered my question. The Winders do take the place of the platform.
DonP, I m glad you told me about that,I may have never known. I may try to find a happy medium on th stairs. I dont want them to take up to much space,but I dont want a ladder either. Im going to try to figure it all out on paper,first chance I get.
desimulacra, Stairs look good. I dont have the patience for those .................programs.
JRR,Ill check it out