(Dis)Organizer

Started by DavidLeBlanc, May 14, 2005, 06:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidLeBlanc

(If you know what a wiki is, just skip on down...)

Ever want a tool to keep notes without losing them. Want a way to link them together without copying and pasting? Want it to look decent? Compact and cheap?

I suggest "Notebook" a really nice freeware note/diary/journal/project bit of software. Can't hardly recommend it enough! Works on Windows, Mac and Linux/Unix!

"Notebook is a personal notebook application. It's for storing notes, to-do lists, daily logs, things you want to remember, neat ideas you might do something with some day, cute things your children said, bad jokes--all the kinds of things you would write down now if only you had a place to put them where you'd remember to look for them.

But Notebook is more than that. It's almost like a personal website. Whenever you enter notes into your Notebook, you effortlessly create hyperlinks to them, just like in a Web Page. The links allow you to find things again; and if they fail you there's a "search" box that will find every page containing the information you desire and an "Index" page that lists all the pages you create

If you've ever used a Wiki on the Web, Notebook is much like a personal Wiki. But it goes beyond that, because it's programmable. You can embed "Magic Buttons" in any page that do almost anything you can think of. And you can put "Embedded Macros" in any page to automatically include text into your pages. "

http://notebook.wjduquette.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

(I have no association with the author, etc.)

John Raabe

Interesting David:

Do you have any links to what others have done with it?
None of us are as smart as all of us.

DavidLeBlanc

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "what others have done with it"...?

Shelley

Hi David,

Just saying hello.  How you feeling?
It's a dry heat.  Right.

glenn kangiser

I think it might be too much for me, David.  I don't know what I would do if I could find all my lost thoughts--- it may be overwhelming :-/

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

DavidLeBlanc

QuoteHi David,

Just saying hello.  How you feeling?
Feeling somewhat better - they've changed my meds and that seems to be helping.

On the other hand, I'm quite stressed - could be living on the streets by this time next week if my "boss" lets me down. :(

Shelley

Ah David.  The corporate life sucks, doesn't it?

We retired early, 1999, when everyone thought they were rich and it would last forever.  Didn't.

We were somewhat lucky.  Rolled over our 401Ks when the stock was $80.  Think it's about $4 now.  Lots of our younger friends are totally trashed.  Lots got "down-sized"  after we left.

And, of course, we're not doing as great as we thought we would do.

Bright side.  Most of our friends whom we felt sorry for, have other jobs, maybe making less $$, but seem to be happier.

We, don't have as much as we hoped.  Having no children, all we hope to do is "die broke" like the book.

Don't mean to sound like a Pollyana, but it generally works out.  Surprising, but it does.  Angst involved, but it does.   You can always come down here.  I'll show you how to build a sweet little adobe casita.  Just like the video.  Better than the video.  Like the sound of running water?  I'll show you how to build a fountain with a little stream if you want.  But, you're a tree lover, huh?

In fact, most of you all seem to be tree lovers.  A clearing in some talllllllll trees.  No one will appreciate my progress pics....if we ever get progress.  Whenever I get in the tall trees I find myself humming that old Carter Family song...the refrain...."in the pines, in the pines, where the sun never shines"

Having grown up in the Ky bluegrass, lived in Colorado and one interesting winter in MN, wouldn't give a nickel for all the Ponderosas I could find.  That's what makes the world go round, huh? ;D
It's a dry heat.  Right.

DavidLeBlanc

I was unemployed for 3 years before I was diagnosed with cancer last year. At this point there's nothing left and being put out on the street was not a metaphore.

I guess I'll know my fate on Friday. If the guy I've been doing website development for doesn't come through by then, I'm toast. I don't even have enough money to put my personal stuff in a storage locker.

glenn kangiser

Keep us posted, David -maybe with our massive collective brainpower we can figure out some way to get something going for you.  The CP think tank ;D

Feel free to instant message me or e-mail so you don't fall off the edge of the earth.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

The very best wishes, David.

This too shall pass...

Amanda_931

Yes to Glenn's thought.

But we'll probably sound awfully nosy and prying while we do it.

Wheelchair bound friend of mine is very very big on teaching people how to treat her.  She sounds dictatorial when she does it, but is a good friend when you get past that.

DavidLeBlanc

Thanks for all the good wishes - they're quite appreciated!

Looks like my flakey client is actually going to send me the promised money after all and he's just been busy.

HOWEVER, please don't stop brainstorming on my behalf. I'm still hanging by a single thread and I'd rather have a few so I'm not at the mercy of a single point of failure! :o

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

John; What was your question about Notebook? I think if you want to know what people do with it, you'll have to look over the website and maybe read the (rather sparse) email archive. Alternatively, if you have any specific questions, i'll do my best to answer them...

John Raabe

Thanks, David

I'm always amazed when tech sites talk about how great their product is and then so little about what it actually does.

Show me examples of what useful things others can do with it. How does it save them time, keep them organized, etc.

Coolness of concept is only talking to a very small market - and not one that generally gets out the checkbook all that often. The market that will spend money is only interested in benefits and results not features.

DavidLeBlanc

Ah, well, at least Notebook is free! :-)

Daddymem

Interesting.  Do you know if it is all online or is it all offline or a combination of both?
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

DavidLeBlanc

Notebook for Windows is a single stand alone file that's not too big to download.

Bit more complicated if you want to use it on Mac or Linux, but not insurmountable. Fortunately, I doubt any/many people from here are going to be on Max or Linux ;-) There's really nothing to set up either, although there are a few user preferences you might like to adjust.

The really  nice thing about Notebook is that you can type, using an easy notation, somewhat fancy text. Lists and headers and, maybe best of all, you can type in a link to a new page just by putting square brackets around it:
[Link to my new page] - will show up looking like a hyperlink when you're done editing. You can then click on it and it will open the new page in editing mode!

Oh yeah - about "all online, all offline or both" - at any time you can export a page, a range of pages or the whole notebook in one of several formats, the most interesting of which is probably HTML. All of the page cross-references, as well as the links and tables and other formatting are made into HTML. Quite a nice, easy way to maintaion a website or the like.

I'm slooowly working on my own version of this, which is likely to be a lot better. My version may or may not be free, but it will be free to anyone who acts as a guinea pig and expecially to folks that provide lots of feedback and/or ideas!

John Raabe

Thanks for that explanation David.

Having a text editor with internal file linking that can be quickly exported to HTML or a blog is very useful.

I have used Info Select for years because of its speedy search features and structured outline format. I've often wished it had the feature you just mentioned.

glenn kangiser

David, I used to beta test a lot of software, Norton, original MSN etc. and don't mind being a guinea pig however I have stopped doing most testing due to lack of time to play with it.

I do however refuse to be a gerbil. ;D

DavidLeBlanc

Well, gerbils are chubby cheeked, long legged, long tailed rodents that live in holes in the ground in the desert, so, if the shoe fits... far be it for me to mention the fact! ;-)

glenn kangiser

I DL'd Notebook today and am giving it a try.  Lets see if it is possible get things a bit more organized. ;D

Got it loaded and working and was even able to display an in line jpeg with no slowness as the author of the help file indicated there would be.

DavidLeBlanc

Cool! New version 2.1.3 just came out today!

glenn kangiser

That's the one I loaded-- created a jobs page to keep track of jobs I may forget - possible contracts=possible money - Will see what happens - Thanks, David. :)

What about printing-- ???  There doesn't seem to be a direct print method.

I created the self updating daily log-  Called it Stuff to do.  Example of page - colored items are links to other pages - macro makes new page each day if you want it- just click stuff to do page and click Edit Todays Entry (automatically creates new daily page and appends to the top of the list below).

STUFF TO DO
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Edit Today's Entry

TUESDAY, MAY 31, 2005 (edit | view)

* Go to Kasco-Manchester - bid 1200

MONDAY, MAY 30, 2005 (edit | view)

* check with county about Hornitos job

So far to print I have had to export to an HTML file.  Any better way, David?

DavidLeBlanc

Printing is a requested feature by other users. Here's what the author of Notebook has to say:

"Printing is difficult in any event, but it's even more so in Notebook's case, given that Notebook is a cross-platform application and printing is different on every platform. I'd love to get printing working some day, but it's not likely to happen any time soon."

In addition to export as HTML, you could export as plain text and then use a text editor or the like to print your document. You could even import the text into a word processor and embellish it if you really want fancy printing and not just a working document.

DavidLeBlanc

BTW, I'm very impressed that you created that ToDo page thing!

How about posting the macro code(s) here please? ;)

glenn kangiser

Thanks for the print info, David.

The author put the instructions for Creating a Daily Log in the help menu under Basic Features.

The macro that makes it work is this  [@logpage@].

The instructions seem a little complicated but even with my meager mental abilities I was able to do it.

;D