Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teripittman

I've got a question about the uphill patio. I've been re-reading the book and it seems a bit skimpy on actually making the uphill patio. We've got a location that seems like it would be great, already dug out a bit. And, I guess the other question is; if you had it to do over, would you still go underground?

Willy

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 13, 2008, 10:15:00 PM
OK dudes -- I finished the second post repair today, carried the welder down the stairs and welded both foundation conglomerations together and let the weight off the temporary support to put full weight on both of the repaired posts.  All is well.

I didn't take the 4x12 out of the room yet as I didn't want Sassy to think I was going to completely start finishing things I started. d*

A man has to have his standards, and I did it for you.  Yes -- you other guys.  If I started finishing things completely, you all would feel like you were obligated to do the same.  I just didn't want to be blamed for that. [crz]

I don't mean to get you guys in trouble putting up my cabin shell in 17 days. I just have to be ready for fire season and then I get to lay around on the couch waiting for the phone to ring all summer. So my relax time is coming soon unless a big fire happens then it will be winter before I get another 5-6 months off. Mark

Redoverfarm

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah.  I thought you were a "one man habitat crew".  Understand your point.  Too bad the weather wouldn't have let you start earlier. 

glenn kangiser

Quote from: teripittman on April 28, 2008, 08:07:08 PM
I've got a question about the uphill patio. I've been re-reading the book and it seems a bit skimpy on actually making the uphill patio. We've got a location that seems like it would be great, already dug out a bit. And, I guess the other question is; if you had it to do over, would you still go underground?

The uphill patio can be a bit variable depending on what you want.  A couple of key things you want from it is a back egress from the cabin, and a way to catch the last bit of water you haven't diverted higher up the hill and drain it away before it joins you in the cabin.  So it will be a cut up the hill where water will drain toward the back of the ledge and also angle to a exit cut and drain away.  You could also put a greenhouse up there over it. 

Another thing you want is a way for light to enter the cabin from the high side and the uphill patio does this.  It also gives you a high side for a chimney to exit from.  Check the fascia/dirt retaining board detail on the high side well also.  It is a drip board also, so water that hits it will drip to the ground in the uphill patio, and not run down the slanted girders and into the cabin.

Would I do it again?  I will never build above ground for shelter for me again. [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

The uphill patio does not need to go down to the level  of the main house either.  Make it multi level if you want stepping down into the house.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Mark, you definitely got off on the wrong foot, but when you left the inside unfinished for someone else to do, I kind of twisted that around a bit to save myself. d*

Willy

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 28, 2008, 11:09:52 PM
Mark, you definitely got off on the wrong foot, but when you left the inside unfinished for someone else to do, I kind of twisted that around a bit to save myself. d*

I kind of blew it for myself also! My wife now has this idea that painting our 2 story 1680 sq ft home, 1152 sq ft shop will be easy and I should get on it right after I am done with the cabin. I have to figure a right way to tell her it is not fun working on our home anymore. I have painted it once allready. In fact I wired it, plumbed it, did the kitchen and bath room cabnits, deck, interior trim ect. The list goes on and it isn't fun anymore and I don't realy want to!! Mark

glenn kangiser

I start having second thoughts on finishing the cabin...s l o w l y.

Willy

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 28, 2008, 11:27:17 PM
I start having second thoughts on finishing the cabin...s l o w l y.

OK then if I get this right I should blend the cabin into fire season very carefuly so as not draw attention to it happening at a much slower pace. Mark

glenn kangiser

Unfortunately with your decision to finish the cabin and the coming fire season, you will probably not quite be able to get to the house painting but you will keep it first thing on your mind should something change. d*

BiggKidd

Glenn,

I am now 25 pages into this thread wow. You have some truly one of a kind designs here. Can't wait to finish reading.

Larry
A hard life only makes you stronger.

Larry

glenn kangiser

Glad you are enjoying it Larry.

I am s l o w l y getting more done around here.

I took the original ideas,  followed them,  then changed some and added my own-- some for better, some for worse, but a very interesting experiment, now starting our 7th year.

teripittman

QuoteThe uphill patio can be a bit variable depending on what you want.  A couple of key things you want from it is a back egress from the cabin, and a way to catch the last bit of water you haven't diverted higher up the hill and drain it away before it joins you in the cabin.  So it will be a cut up the hill where water will drain toward the back of the ledge and also angle to a exit cut and drain away.  You could also put a greenhouse up there over it. 

Another thing you want is a way for light to enter the cabin from the high side and the uphill patio does this.  It also gives you a high side for a chimney to exit from.  Check the fascia/dirt retaining board detail on the high side well also.  It is a drip board also, so water that hits it will drip to the ground in the uphill patio, and not run down the slanted girders and into the cabin.

Would I do it again?  I will never build above ground for shelter for me again. [crz]

I've been thinking it over and I think we could use earthbags (aka sandbags). They could be used to stablize the bank and also to build the structure. I can still use poles to support the roof and a pool liner so I can still use an earth cover on the structure.  I think it would work out. It's a wet climate and this spot is over on the side where the water does drain down. I've got to make sure I have a good way for water to drain (which is why I'm not going with an earthen floor too.)

There's an old shed roof cabin out in this area, that's been empty since we first came into the area in the 70s. The roof is now completely covered with ferns. That's what I'm shooting for here. We thought about building up on the top of the hill, but I just think the wind is going to make life unpleasant up there.

BiggKidd

WOW Finally read all the way through. Just like gone with the wind its a work in progress. Ok I don't really remember Gone with the wind but it sounded good as I sit here sipping some high dollar hooch a friend left here.

Larry
A hard life only makes you stronger.

Larry

glenn kangiser

Glad you enjoyed it, Larry.  Soon I'll have to add more to it so you'll have reading material.  Too bad it's on the Computer and not Sears and Roebuck Catalog style.  hmm

Then it would really be useful. ;D

Terri, I would suggest French drains in a wetter area draining to downhill and extend the pond liner about 10 feet past the sides.  There is a place in Oregon I think that has EPDM about 1/2 price of Home Depot and all sizes.

glenn kangiser

Sassy wants a pool.  ::)

So it is our latest expansion at the underground complex.  The pool is above ground though and will actually provide more camo for the shop and greenhouse area as you come into the driveway.  Dirt is courtesy of the shop expansion tunnel at the back.

Redoverfarm

And they wonder why we never finish what we start. ;)

glenn kangiser

I know ---absolutely. 

Before the pool 45' of 4' rock wall and 50 yards of fill - pool is mostly on solid ground then finish the smaller walls because I cant get the Bobcat in there after the pool is in and on and on and on.... ::)

Redoverfarm

I do that quite often.  They do not understand the stages of doing things.  Just like you I will do things because I know later on that I will not be able to reach it when something is built in the way.  I think for the most part mens minds ( some exceptions) do not operate in the same fashion as womens do.  I guess that is the real reason they are referred to as the "opposite sex". 

glenn kangiser

Exceptions.  hmm ..... Ah... you would be speaking of the man driver with a woman's brain my dad used to speak of. 

...yes, and they do not understand why we do not automatically immediately respond when they submit an added or unrelated question. 

They do not know that our mind is hopelessly entrenched in thinking of building the pool and the required water lines, power lines - added solar panels, salt water chlorination device etc, and we must shift gears and come out of that trance before we can answer when we are going to put a latch on the door to the utility room. 

We must simply stand there with a dumb look like a deer in the headlights for a minute or two before we can think of getting the skill saw, a drill, screw driver, latch, power cord etc. while we stop thinking of the pool and all of it's related problems, difficulties and requirements.

[noidea'     d*

Redoverfarm

I am glad that it wasn't just me thinking out loud to myself. 

glenn kangiser

I see a clarification is needed here.

It was my dad's thoughts I posted, ladies.  Not mine.

I would never have such a thought. ::)

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Redoverfarm on June 25, 2008, 02:17:07 PM
I am glad that it wasn't just me thinking out loud to myself. 

This happens to you too, John?  hmm

I thought maybe I was unique or had some kind of a slow thought system or something. d*

Redoverfarm

Not to change the subject.  Well we had better or we both will be building a dog house to crawl into.  How is your other project going with the shop extension?

Today I am taking a little breather. Parged a foundation wall this AM. Mowed the yard, went and picked up fuel for the truck, tractor and mower :( ($240).  Can't lay stone until AM after it has time to set up.  Just took a few minuted to get my money's worth out of the new puter.  Can't believe the difference. :)

glenn kangiser

Cool on the new computer-- today's programs are pretty processor intensive.

The shop extension was going pretty good but I had to stop for the pool.