Photos wanted for small houses under 500 sf

Started by John Raabe, April 05, 2010, 04:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

Lloyd Kahn is doing a new book on smaller houses (500sf or under) and has asked if any of the CountryPlans folks have good photos of projects they have built. Expandable smaller houses (those that started out as 500sf or under) would be especially interesting. For instance, has anyone built a Little House building and then expanded it into a larger home? Perhaps using some of the planning materials in the Enchilada Plans Kit? Here is one example: (click the image)

NEWS: This house is in the book on page 99. 

In our CountryPlans business I have noticed we are selling more of the smaller house plans and fewer of the larger ones. That tells me there is a timely need for a small, inexpensive and easy to build starter house that can be expanded in the future. Are any of you building one? It does not have to be using one of my plans - your own ideas are welcome.

If so, please let me know and post photos in this tread.

If you are not familiar with Lloyd Kahn and the books of this prolific writer/photographer/publisher click on Shelter Publications and check out the titles. You can also checkout Lloyd's Blog.

As a further incentive to take some great photos, for every project from a forum member that makes it into the new book I (or Lloyd) will send you a copy of the book.

John Raabe
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Solar Burrito

Ooh ooh ooh, I love his books! Can't wait for another!

Hurry up Lloyd!
Small Shelters, Off Grid Living, and Other Neat Stuff http://solarburrito.com

Pine Cone

I know others are building small structures, and many must be more finished than this one... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=8030.0

Don't know if this qualifies since it is still a work in progress, but the cabin is 196 square feet while the deck is 256 square feet.  Under 500 square feet any way you add it up.

In the grand scheme, this cabin is the bedroom, with a kitchen and bath building which may follow in a few years nearby when we recover from building this one and can afford what is likely to be a deep well and very expensive septic system.  For now the composting toilet and outdoor grey-water shower will have to do.

Picture updated, 5/16/2010

New picture, 6/5/2010

NOTE: This house is in the Tiny Homes book on pages 30, 31.

MountainDon

I'm in, but I have to choose a photo to post here...  :-\

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Phssthpok

Is there a deadline?

I won't be able to begin reassembly on my structure for at least another six weeks. (I just got another six inches of snow dumped on my access road last night) :(

ScottA

I always liked this shot. 400 s.f.

NEWS This house is in the book on page 99.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=3419.0

John Raabe

Any deadline would be set by Lloyd, but I would think a couple of months would be a minimum time-line for this.

Hey, we're getting to see some fine little houses here - all in one place! :D :D :D

PS - If you are posting a project that has a progress thread with more information or photos, add it as a link to your photo here and we can use this thread as a kind of overview of small house projects. (Such threads would be a better place for questions of the builder/designer than would this one.)

MountainDon

Here we go; this cabin...

The building thread may be found here. This link is the place/time ground was broken...
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.msg60127#msg60127

I could also supply a link to the photo album that feeds the images in the topic to be able to view the images only without all the words. More pictures not posted also available.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Southern Steve

I am fascinated by tiny houses.  Unfortunately, this county's (Vanderburgh, Indiana) zoning ordinances require a house of at least 720 Sq Ft  on a lot with at least 60 Ft front footage.  Can we say "contributing to urban sprawl"?

Solar Burrito

After looking at my 2 of Mr. Kahn's books last night I know how to get your cabins in his new book.

WIZARD CARVINGS and SAUNA'S  :D

For sure if you have sometime of homemade funky off the grid sauna near your 499sq house with a hand carved person/wizard or sunman you will get printed.

I'm definitely working on my carving skills and am going to tell the wife it's all to get published. A Sauna is needed honey, you want to get in the book don't you.
Small Shelters, Off Grid Living, and Other Neat Stuff http://solarburrito.com

John Raabe

:D :D :D
Right ON! However I sense that this book will be a bit more practical (in tune with the times?)

John Raabe

These are interesting alternative houses, but for this thread (and Kahn's book) let's just post projects that forum members have BUILT.

Whitlock

Feel free to use anything in my posts on this little shack if you like. I wish it were finished d*

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=5331.0

Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

speedfunk

I'll take them off I didn't realise it was just members houses my bad.   d*

John Raabe

Sorry Speedfunk:

Let's see if we can save that information...

I have reposted much of it and have started a new thread here:

Interesting small houses found on the Web

tinybuilder

Quote from: John Raabe on April 09, 2010, 03:34:29 PM
These are interesting alternative houses, but for this thread (and Kahn's book) let's just post projects that forum members have BUILT.

I built this 190 square footer...

It's not very stylish as it reflects my skill level.  d*

John Raabe

Looks very sturdy and serviceable. Is that a 10' sidewall height?

steve_wolverton

Note from Admin: These images are not showing. The links are not valid. Perhaps Steve can fix this.

Hi everyone.  

Here's my little house I'm working on.  

(Note: the website address http://www.stevewolverton.net does not resolve.

It's a 14x14 house.  The front porch is 14 x 8.  The utility room attached to the back of the house is 10x8 (washer/dryer - lawn mower, tools, etc.).  The exterior is about 75% complete - I need to finish the siding on the back of the house.  I'll post more details soon in a build thread.  The upstairs window has been trimmed since this photo.   ;)  

This is my first house.  I used the post/beam ideas from Mr. Raabe's kit.  

Ah - found a pic of the window trimmed!   :P  

And the back.  Please pardon the mess.   :-[

Thanks,
Steve

tinybuilder

Quote from: John Raabe on April 15, 2010, 03:06:25 PM
Looks very sturdy and serviceable. Is that a 10' sidewall height?

They're 8 foot sides. I hung the loft floor for more height upstairs (5' at the center), so the downstairs ceiling finished out at 7'6". It has everything a large house has except space... fully insulated, tile floor, 100 amp electric service with meter, 3/4 inch water main, 3 inch sewer main, hot water heater, shower, toilet, stove, refrigerator, sink, remote thermostat built-in wall heater, bath ventilation fan, bath ceiling heater, and a loft with a skylight. The raised cinderblock foundation made it easy to install the water pipes, drains, and electrical. Even the water heater is under the floor.

The structure is a modular shop-built TuffShed, and was assembled on the foundation as a complete weatherproof shell in just one day including siding, windows, shingled roof and exterior paint. Then I finished the interior to my own specs. Total cost for complete living unit: $15,000   

John Raabe

Ndrmyr

Impressive!  Why isn't this an option for public housing. Our idiot government loves to give people homes that cost in many cases more than the value of the home that an average tax payer lives in.  10 of these built for $150,000 could house single mothers and small families.  Far cheaper than the FEMA Katrina trailer debacle!  This is something that a low income family could actually OWN and afford to keep.
"A society that rewards based on need creates needy citizens. A society that rewards based on ability creates able one."

DeekMcD

Wow- some GREAT stuff! And Lloyd's book will be great- I'm sure. I own a few of his others....

Here's a few things/shacks/guest cabins/mobile sleepers I've worked on/built recently- most of them based on designs in my indie micro-housing book- and I'm peckin' away at some more cabins (and designs) currently, as well....

I also have some "tv" youtube overview episodes on a few of them too...

AND A VIDEO of one of the cabins.....
.youtubedotcom/watch?v=LmR3kx660gw[/url]

-Derek "Deek" Diedricksen
relaxshacksdotcom

ED: one post with all those links is one thing, but three with all the same links is pushing the no advertising rule a little too much. I changed the links so SDEO's don't recognize them but anyone interested can still go to the sites.

Please feel free to contribute ideas and thoughts, but honor the no ads policy.  - MD

DeekMcD

Sorry- it was an autosignature- and didn't think they were ads, my appologies. Wasn't my aim, more so, just wanted to add to/contribute to the thread. The youtube link was just so whoever could see more, etc....esp. since I didn't have a good still picture of one of the cabins, Again- sorry.

dmlsr

if there is anything of my place you can use  go right ahead.

cabin in nh

This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

John Raabe

I thought the videos that Derek has done are great. These are Micro houses that feature inventive uses of very low cost or free materials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEvYT3CMtQI&feature=related