10X10 storage shed w/loft

Started by Barry Broome, December 12, 2010, 11:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Broome

Hey Y'all, I'm new to the forum and since this site keeps popping up when I research I decided to join and post my own building projects on here. I'm just a newbie to construction (I've built three decks and one strong shed for hurricanes and such) but I find it fun and I've bought a lot of books from Lowe's on how to build/wire, etc. I live near Hattiesburg, Mississippi.

Right now I'm working on a 10X10 storage shed. The four corners of the shed sit on concrete blocks. The middle of each floor joist sits on a flat concrete stepping stone with a chunk of treated wood on top of the stepping stone.

Floor joists are treated 2X6 spaced 16". Subfloor is treated plywood and floor is OSB. Frame is 2x4 spaced at 24". Walls are OSB covered in 30 lb felt. Roof is 2X4 rafters spaced 24". OSB sits on top of rafters, then 30lb felt, then the cheapest tin I could find at Lowe's ($10/8'sheet). The roof was a little steep so I used a rope tied to a tree on the other side of the shed to help hold me while I nailed down the roofing. There is 33 inches of loft space on the east and west sides of the shed. This leaves the middle of the ceiling open to access both loft spaces.

My next step is to begin the process of installing some type of siding. I'm trying to find the cheapest stuff which looks like tin. The cheapest treated boards I could find are 8X4 for building privacy fence. Still haven't decided what to use for siding. Right now I've got about $650 in the building.

Any ideas?

"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

Barry Broome

I was at Lowe's today and saw this 10X10 shed with loft (though the walls are not as tall as mine). Its starting to look as though my shed will end up costing as much as the finished model from Lowe's ($1,000).

Don_P

We have those and the Yoder clan makes them around here as well, hard to beat the price, I don't know how they do it and make a living at it.

altaoaks

those storage sheds at lowes will be an eye-sore in a couple years.  have you looked at their warranties?  they would need to promise me longer than 5-7 years!

i bet the shed your building is going to last a lot longer!

IronPatriotTN

Agreed. Those Lowe's guys would come in and "wham-bam" something together and split. There is a YouTube video of a couple of guys doing some repairs to a trailer and one of those type building from Lowe's or Home Depot. The building has quite abit of water damage.  :o

Grimjack

When I looked at the lowe's sheds I remember the most of the wall studs and roof supports being 1x2's? They looked very poorly constructed, which is why I built this instead, for only a little more:

And as this was my first real "construction attempt" the sense of satisfaction I received from doing it myself was amazing!

altaoaks

grimjack, that is a great looking storage shed, and i bet it will serve you well for a time!  good job!

Barry Broome

Grimjack that's a nice looking shed. I hope mine turns out looking as good. I expect to get over 20 good years from this shed. I've been out of town working lately and haven't had a chance to work on it anymore, it still looks the same as the pics above. But next week I'll get in on Wednesday and plan on doing some more work on it.

Merry Christmas everybody!!!

Barry Broome

I was at Lowes earlier and stopped to take another look at their 10X10 ($1,000) shed. Turns out the frame is not 2X4 construction. It's something smaller like a 2X3.

MikeOnBike

We looked at Lowes, HD and TuffShed and decided that they probably wouldn't last long on the mtn.  Our shed is constructed pretty much the same way you would a house.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=9024.msg116454#msg116454

Barry Broome

Wow that's a nice shed. I've never done the concrete tubes. I need to try that next time I build something. That loft looked just big enough to squeeze onto the mattress and sleep comfortably. What does the place look like now?

MikeOnBike

The end of the thread shows the shed as it was when the weather ran us off the mtn. last month.  In the spring we will finish the paint, add some stairs, insulation and panel the interior w/OSB or cheap plywood.

That building site doesn't have any flat ground so the shed and cabin will be on piers.  The loft is pretty comfortable.  That's a king sleeping bag on a queen mattress.  There is about 5' of headroom at the peak.

Barry Broome

I've decided to use treated fence boards from Lowes for siding. The boards are 1X6X8 and cost $3.00 each. I plan on tying into my existing meter box and running power to the shed for a light and outlet. The area I boarded up today cost $24 bucks so I expect it to cost around $300 to finish the exterior. There's also a pic of the inside which shows one of the loft areas.

Barry Broome

So it's time for an update on my 10X10 storage shed.

First of all, I hadn't worked on it since the last pics were taken due to lack of money/time. However, we were surrounded by large trees and a storm one night sent one of their limbs into my bedroom

As a result we had the trees taken down for free since a logger was clearing the land that joined our own. So I had to clean up the remaining debris and burn.

With the trees and foliage gone, the rear of my trailer and the shed were now fully exposed to anyone driving down the street (before they were not)

Hence I was forced to finish the two sides of the shed that could be seen from the road. So here's some pics my wife took of the progress.

It's spring time in Mississippi. Wife has been busy in the yard.

Tickhill

Great looking shed. I am at the northern end of the state in Tishomingo and used to live in Slidell. Look forward to more of your construction posts.
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

Barry Broome

The wife is picking some nice veggies from the garden this year!

speedfunk

dude..that looks 10x better then anything you could get premade at a big box.  Nice Choice to build !  so much better!!! esp the siding :D  [cool]

hpinson

Those cedar 1x6x8's are an undiscovered secret.  They look great.  Let us know how they hold up.

drainl

Very nice!  I've been keeping an eye out for shed/storage/woodshop ideas.  I like the loft storage you built.  Siding is great too!  Speedfunk says as long as it's on skids I can build whatever I want.   ;)