Quilted Foil Faced Fiberglass Insulation

Started by karnf, August 26, 2010, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karnf

Hey Guys!
I got this quilted foiled faced pink insulation that someone had on their porch to pick up. It measured 11ft x 8ft but the owners did cut up into long strips. My mistake was that I didn't ask for the R valu by email but I didn't want to miss out on it by emailing for it was about two miles from my home and the owners really didn't want contact just wanted it gone.
Can someone tell me if this is a good insulation being foiled and quilted. It looks like it isn't that old and about two inches thick of fiberglass.
I was thinking of insulating the 12x20 cabin I'm building in the mountains in Maryland which gets a lot of snow and can be brutal during the winter. I did build a pole barn style with 6x6 post walls. I was planning on putting in the insulation with drywall.
Has anyone come across this style of insulation with the quilt foil backing. I know I would install the foil facing the inside wall to radiat heat.
I have been to Lowes and Home Depot and never saw the quilt foil backing. Could this be really old?
thanks

MountainDon

A inch of fiberglass is about 3.1 to 3.3 R value

the foil will reflect radiant heat but usually that needs an air space on the side you want to radiate back to.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

karnf

Thanks MountainDon.
I took another look at the insulation and it seems to be more like a four inch thickness. I will take your advise.