14 x 24 Olympic Peninsula

Started by considerations, May 06, 2008, 07:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

considerations, Costco has some neat LED headlights with head bands and pouches.  I carry one all of the time along with a 3 cell 3watt LED Maglite, in case I get into a area where I just have to check out a mine shaft. d*  The headlights leave your hands and your mouth free.  Great for working with.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Quote from: considerations on November 12, 2008, 12:25:30 AM
Think it may be awhile before it cures real well. 

Actually, as long as it doesn't freeze, the wet weather will be good for the concrete. Keeping the surface damp/wet for 28 days will allow max strength to develop. Rapid drying of the surface in hot windy weather is the worst.

A good LED headband light is a godsend at times.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Yes - the LED headband is great - batteries last a long time --- unless I accidently hit the on button and don't find out for a day or two.  I use the Eneloop rechargables for Costco also for just that reason.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

I think, the way it is raining, that even with the tarp the cure will be slow.  Welcome to the Olympic rainforest. 

Part of the slab is directly under the drip line from the eaves, so I had to hustle to get it covered.  I have a really pretty groove of exposed aggregate along one edge, and the surface had water standing on it by the time I got the tarp over it. 

I was worried about the little metal saddles I stuck into the cement so that I could attach the porch posts.  The cement accomodated me sticking them.  I mixed and poured 3 bags at a time and after smoothing out a section would go mix another batch, then when I got that smoothed out I backtracked one pour and stuck the saddle in.  They were nice and level. We'll see how that turns out.

i didn't want the rain to turn my work into soup.  I had to read a lot to figure out this concrete thing, my prior experience is confined to dumping a bag of dry crete around a fence post. 

Plus my son runs a  concrete pumper truck in Texas, so he had plenty to say that got me really confused for awhile.  Slump tests?  are you kidding?!  I went back to the DIY websites, they are written for beginners like me.

Sassy

Great progress!  So where's the pix?  You know we like pix  ;)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

considerations

OK pics  - The disgusting rip in the Tyvek is where the front door will be.  The porch is temporary - it's going to be a carport when it grows up.

Yikes, photobucket upgraded - what a chore!

A comment from one of the locals:

c*

Things are still crawling along.

Sassy

Hey, looking great!  I like the log pillars  8) on the porch...  kinda wet your way  :-\  you could share some it with us  c*

Redoverfarm

I would share some with you Sassy but I don't think you would want it this time of year. Predicting 6-12" tonight.

considerations

Yup - wet.  I'm suprised it hasn't snowed.  30 - 32 at night and 45 or so during the day and rain rain rain. It feels like it could. I'm resting for a few days.  Even with a block and tackle the logs were heavy. 

Thanks, I really like the logs too. There are a few trees around here that make using cedar pillars on the decks a feasible choice.  They blew partly over a few years ago but are still alive.  My neighbor is begging me to help him take them out.  I was as nervous as he is about cutting them down because they are in clumps of 6 or seven, they are tall and skinny, about 80', and leaning against standing timber.  So I called in a logger to do the deed.  He's thrilled, I'm thrilled, and the logger got the big but ends for his little sawmill.  I finally figured out the siding, now that I know there are several privately owned little sawmills around here.  I really wanted a log cabin, but it didnt' take long to compare costs with stick built.  So the siding is my compromise. 

I'm going to the mainland to pick up a franklin stove for the cabin.  Gas is 2.19 a gallon and the truck is a hog, so now is the time, before it starts going back up.  I topped off the tanks yesterday. 

considerations

siding

Lets see an assessor put a value on this.   :P

considerations

Oh ugh. Just finished the morning chores.  This is the time of year when there is no romance in having an outhouse.  Brrr!

glenn kangiser

That is the type of siding I make and use, considerations.  I like to cut the top edge smooth to keep the lap easier.  I lap at least and inch at the narrowest space to prevent gaps as the boards shrink.  I use either 1/2" or 5/8" thick boards.

considerations

awesome troglodyte!  Do you have a pic?  This is the only example I've seen and its a bit weathered, to say the least.  Im making note of your cutting and placing instructions.  I do have one more question on cutting.

From trying to peek behind the siding, I think they just cut a log in half, then went back and made siding, so one side was the log profile, and the other was straight, like you said.  But, did you make any attempt to cut that straight side one more time to make each plank have a somewhat uniform width?

I don't think these folks did, but the trees they used had pretty big diameters.  Chances are I'll be working with smaller diameter, and a greater variation in width from butt to tip.

glenn kangiser

I trimmed them to even  by stacking them vertically on the sawmill and trimming the tops removing most of the taper, however I  alternately reversed them if taper between knots etc, was a problem so they remained relatively level.  I tacked a nail in at each end to help hold them at the lap I wanted then removed the nail after the board was fastened -working alone.  Don't fret level so much on each board when trying to get the lap right due to the waviness.  It will be easier then just level the top one as necessary.

I cut slices from the whole log then trimmed only the top few inches and taper giving me wider boards.  The thinner boards will cup less than the thicker boards or at least easier to control.  Outer wood can shrink more than inner wood so if you pay attention to which side is out you could make the cupping convex.  I had no real problem with thin cedar.  Use galvanized nails to prevent black streaks if not painting - no paint on cedar - stain is OK.

I need to take better pix - some are real old.

Sassy

I really like that siding, too.  In the master bath Glenn put the siding up vertically...  I'll have to find a picture of that - looks really nice, though.

Yes, the ole outhouse...  I remember it well, ha - but did have an excellent view down the valley!

considerations

Thanks Glenn, I know I'm going to like the finished product, your's looks great.

As for the outhouse, I'd heat it, but its plastic.  The view, well, its ok as long as you keep an ear cocked for someone coming up the driveway.   ;)

glenn kangiser

Thanks, considerations.  Looking forward to seeing yours. :)

diyfrank

Very cool!

That siding looks great. Gives me some ideas.
Home is where you make it

glenn kangiser

w* diyfrank.

Hope to hear more of your planned project.

diyfrank

Thanks for the welcome and I will post my ideas later.
Home is where you make it

Jens

You are doing a great job on the cabin considerations!  Are the extensions of the ridge beam wrapped in sheet metal?  Just as a suggestion to anybody building with a metal roof.  You could add 2x4 sleepers over the felt, then install the roofing panels on top of the sleepers.  you can put them on 3 foot centers, so the felt can be lapped over.  Never done this before, and doesn't make huge sense when flat sheeting roof (purlins are usually used without sheeting), but seems like a good idea for this purpose.  Dont have to worry about screws coming through showboard either.  I am a big fan of the rough edge siding as well, and the cedar looks awesome.  Will weather gray, but still look cool.  Love that 29 tudor too Glen!  kinda reminds me of this one I built years ago. 

And the one we took on our first anniversary.  Except they were both roadsters.

so glad the doctors were able to remove that pole from the top of my head.  Sure does make life easier than it was back then.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

glenn kangiser

Ours is a 26 Dodge Brothers Sedan.  The 1919 Dodge Roadster is directly below the 26 in the lower level of the garage .  I'll try to get some pix posted one of these days in the RV Garage thread.

considerations

"Are the extensions of the ridge beam wrapped in sheet metal?"

Yes.  I've learned that untreated wood bared to the elements in the PNW is not a wise choice.

That, and a block and tackle will get the bulky stuff into the upper floor. 

I don't know when the back stairs will get built, and the stairs inside are L shaped.

glenn kangiser

Considerations, I think I now found the Photobucket downgrading problem also.

I found that using "control C" after clicking to highlight the img tag will copy it without having to go to another page and back.  Why couldn't they leave well enough alone instead of trying to fix it.

considerations

"I found that using "control C" after clicking to highlight the img tag will copy it without having to go to another page and back.  Why couldn't they leave well enough alone instead of trying to fix it."

Come on Glenn, have you forgotten about "job justification"?  I think some institutions offer a degree in it these days.   :-\

Now some one gets to work for six months to code the "fix".....