14 x 24 Olympic Peninsula

Started by considerations, May 06, 2008, 07:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEG688

Quote from: considerations on September 17, 2008, 10:53:16 PM

Splendid!  Thanks for the big timesaving tip.  I'm using it!  :D

Happy to help out.

Did you wrap up the roof yet? Or are you still waiting for the delivery of the missing pieces?

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

considerations

Still waiting for the missing roof metal, but it should be available to pick up today.

There are 16 out of 20 sheets up, and one 10' piece of ridge cap on and the mother of all tarps is still pressed into service. 

glenn kangiser

It'll be a great day when you can finally get that mother off of the roof. ::)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

Frankly, at that point, I'm not sure what I will use that tarp for. Its 20 x 30, and I'd rather move it only a few more times.  Maybe put it over that creaky old barn for this winter.  Might help control the pond that forms in there every year. 

The old barn is beyond saving, but I still store things in there, as I'm as short on storage as I am on a house.

glenn kangiser

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

Tada!

But wait, there's MORE.....

Don't touch that dial!

:D  Simple pleasures for simple people.  It rains tonight.

ScottA

Awsome! Now it can rain all it wants.  :D

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Looking more like a home everyday.  Great work.  What is the color of the metal? Looks grey in the picture.

glenn kangiser

I think it is gray -- also know as PNW camouflage. [crz]

considerations

Good guess, its grey.  All of the other roofs are galvanized (grey). It doesn't stick out.  I looked at the other colors, but the green doesn't look real compared to the greens of the forest. I could go on, but grey was what I chose. 

And....its raining (she noted smugly).   

Now I'm insulating the floor.  That's a fine little job.  I'm just glad I'm not dealing with an 18" crawl space.  I've got plenty of company under there and like being able to maneuver a little.   

glenn kangiser

Good grief, Considerations.  Who have you got under the house? hmm

considerations

Not WHO, what.   d*  Bugs, moths, but spiders mostly, looking for places to make their egg cases.   Flushed a garter snake a few days ago.

It's shelter, and I don't mind too much, but I like to have some control about how close an encounter is going to be.   

I don't like spiders in my hair, and prefer to be alone inside my clothes. 

The dust underneath and the rockwool rain while trying to staple overhead is distraction enough. 

It's really raining now.....(giggle)

glenn kangiser

I'll bet you are really happy to have that roof on there.  Good Job.

I was just thinking if I was under a house like that, my dogs would want to get under there too and give me a big ol' sloppy kiss when I was at their level...and that is not nice because I've seen what they eat.  [crz]

Seems we have a difference of opinion on the correct spelling of grey or gray

gray 1 also grey  (gr)
adj. gray·er also grey·er, gray·est also grey·est
1. Of or relating to an achromatic color of any lightness between the extremes of black and white.

It also noted Chiefly US---- Grey ---  So confusing but both are right.

considerations

Yes I'm REALLY HAPPY to have that roof on.  c* 

There are pack of dogs out here, I think there may be more dogs than people on this road, so I don't feel the need to have one.  My old cat has a fairly strong opinion about the issue, and I will honor that until he isn't around anymore.

The electric fence is discouraging to dogs just wandering over, but they visit regularly with their owners.  I turn the fence off when I get visitors because I don't have gates in every spot where folks come through the woods.  The dogs, when with their owners will brave scooting under the wire.  And yes, they all love to kiss me, sort of a dubious distinction, like you said.

You are absolutely right, Grey is used where UK English predominates and Gray is the preferred spelling where American English is the norm.

I read a lot and see it both ways.  For some reason, on the Olympic Peninsula, we seem to use grey. We have a Greywolf Elementary School, etc.  I didn't give it a second thought. 

There are places in Virginia where the old "landed gentry" families speak with an accent that has remnants of Elizabethan English, and there you also see the spelling Grey. 

I ran into them in some of the local museums. The volunteers were descendants of the original British land grant families.  I was expecting the stereotypical "southern drawl".  So wrong. There are even jails where the word is spelled 'gaol'. 

English is a fascinating language, every rule has an exception.  I do not envy those who have to learn it as a second language.

apaknad

con,

a work of art, congratulations. [cool]
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

considerations

Gee thanks, the relief is palpable.  It is almost a monsoon out there right now.     

Redoverfarm

Would that make me a English predominatesor an old "landed gentry" ?

Oh yes about the electric fence. Ask my wife.  She was helping me mow with the push mower while I was on the lazy thing riding.  I looked in the corner of the rail fence where it meets the electric.  She got in the corner and swung the handle against you guessed it.  I first thought she had gotten into a yellow jacket nest as she was standing in the driveway some 15 feet away from the mower shaking her arms.  I went over and she told me what she had done.  Yes the mower was still running and yes she quit.  Hasn't mowed a lick since then.  Sort of like a rabbit dog once bitten by a fence you might as well sell it because it aint gonna run no more.

considerations

Would that make me a English predominatesor an old "landed gentry" ?  

Well, I won't call you "old".....(I don't even call myself that). I saw those satellite photos, you are definitely landed gentry. But, being one of the great unwashed, I won't call you a name that I don't know the meaning of..... ???  Thought provoking though, could be a good name for a movie.

My current ( ::)) electric fence is pretty potent.  I started with a little solar charger, probably meant for small pets, and thin wire.  It was great the first summer, then winter came and the blankets went on the horses.  Hmmm, no sun, thin wire, blanket on the horses....not effective, at all. After the second roundup, I made an investment.

Now I have big wire, and a charger that will run 15 miles if I had that much fence.  Goes right through a  blanket, or jacket.  I have to keep the batteries charged with the gen in the winter, but it will make your jaw tight for about 30 minutes after unplanned contact.  Keeps the horses in and the bears out, so far.  I don't know how the cougars manage electric fences, I've only seen prints on my side. They are so stealthy.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Sassy

You are amazing, Considerations!  Wow, what great progress, bet you are so excited about it - so you'll be able to camp out there now during the winter & keep working on the place...  that's what we did in the underground cabin...  had an 8x12 ft area with a homemade bed, wood stove & plastic walls  ;D  to start out with - got a lot of exercise hiking to the outhouse that was quite a ways out...  but even that was an upgrade from the "porta potty", lol...  and we had a wonderful view to boot! 

Looking forward to see your continued progress - impressive!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

considerations

Thanks, not amazing though, just really really really stubborn.   [frus]  One foot in front of the other.

I can appreciate the enthusiasum to upgrade from a portapotty.

John_C

Superb progress Considerations but you need to trade that Porta-Potty in on a pink version..

the "Good Lady"  model    ;D

considerations

Pink?   rofl   Screaming turquoise is bad enough.  Anyway, it would just advertise that a single woman lives here alone. No self respecting male would allow a Pink  n*  honey bucket on their property.

I'm holding out for a composting toilet.  Stubborn....really.

glenn kangiser

Quoteto the outhouse that was quite a ways out...  but even that was an upgrade from the "porta potty", lol.

It was really cool.  The first generation model had no walls - just a nice 18"x24" by 48" box with a single hole and a floor on the mountain ridge overlooking my subjects in the valley below.