14 x 24 Olympic Peninsula

Started by considerations, May 06, 2008, 07:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Way to go CF. Won't be long now til your in the dry. 

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Ya quit cuz it rained a lil ::) Real carpenters won't melt , we do rust some, but we don't melt!

Good job, ah,,,,,,, ya, thats what I meant to say ;D    [cool]
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

considerations

No, that's not why we quit.  I start my real job at 2PM.   :(

I would plant a money tree if I could, but well, I haven't found on yet.   :(

ScottA

Looking good! Keep at it and you'll be dry in no time.  :)

Mad Dog

Looking good, someday I'll be at that point.  d*
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

considerations

8) Dont laugh, that ridge beam is my sky hook....always wanted one.

Really, I don't think I get to keep it all, but it looks hilarious.  Like I could haul hay into the loft.

considerations

"BORG also could be a acronym for Big Orange Retail Giant, take your pick, I was a Star Trek fan so I like the assimilate thing."

PEG, I'm still a Star Trek fan, they just quit making new episodees. 

I fell for Battlestar Gallactica.  I don't have TV anymore, but get it on the Internet.  Edgey...sometimes lame, but pretty good as far as TV programming goes.

I had to recently cross space travel off my list of things to do before I di....disappear.   So a little vicarious space travel is ok compensation.

I told one of the guys today, in answer to a question: "Make it so Number One"....and his eyes about popped out....the others teased him the rest of the day.  (he had no clue)

I think I owe him a rhubarb pie.  Seem to have plenty of it around.   

glenn kangiser

I love rhubarb pie.  Maybe I should help. d*

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

georgevacabin

Hey Considerations,

You are my newest hero!  :)  I'm keeping an eye on your great progress.  Keep up the good work and keep the photos coming.  Thanks!

My best,

George

considerations

ScottA

Looks great! The date is even right.  ;D

Redoverfarm

Looking good CF. Like your big skylite. ;D

glenn kangiser

Looks great considerations.  I assume you are taking good care of the boys. :)

considerations

Had to think about that some.  The short answer is yes.

glenn kangiser

That should get things accomplished. :)

considerations

Had to let things dry out, but there is more rain coming.  Good grief! We were supposed to dry in by September 15 to beat the rains.   >:(

I have the mother of all tarps on the roof now.  That's something.

I might sleep up in the loft tonight, just because I can.  ;D

glenn kangiser

Way to go, Considerations -- sleeping in it already.  Cool. :)

ScottA

You're making great progress. How was the camp out?

PEG688

Odd weather for August  ??? Looks good, you'll have a lot of back framing to do , like the vent / bird blocks / anti- rotation block between the rafters that would have been easier to do before sheathing the roof , and the facia boards, but getting the OSB on the rafters was maybe more important when you had help.

What kind of facia you putting on? As in it looks like it will be square to the rafters / tipped to the side walls? Or are you going to sister rafter tails along side the rafters?

Like Scot asked , how'd it sleep?

Keep up the good work :)         
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

considerations

Slept well, my supervisor (my 15 year old cat) was a little perturbed, I had to carry him up and down the ladder. Eliminated any lounging around this morning, he had something to take care of.

He used to climb them easily, not so now.  I hung a work light and every moth in the county came to check it out.  Screens will be a good thing.

Yes PEG, some stuff will have to be done backwards, but I cannot keep letting the interior get soaked.

The rains here are real, not sprinkles.  And they seem to be coming sooner than is usual.  Last year was similar, but not to the degree we seem to  be experiencing this year.

You are on Whidbey so you have some appreciation for this. I'm in the transition zone between Sequim's rain shadow and the rain forest, but only two miles from the "official" start of the rain forest. 

All this work is not going to get ruined because I don't want to work with some awkward nailing angles.

OK - on the rafters.  They will stop there except for weather protection (facia, etc.) because just below them, on each side will be some shallow windows that don't open (basically where the OSB is not, on those walls.  A few in the stair well on the other side and a few sort of over the open window on the side you can see. 

Then, below the windows, basically where the OSB starts, will be another roof, with much less of a slope.  On the side you can see, the roof will be over a porch, and on the other side the roof will be over a carport.

The sealed windows will help getting light into both floors. 

See the little windows?

Then that porch and the carport on the other side will be roofed with a lesser slope.

considerations

Then, of course, the gods will prove me wrong and September will be sunny and dry  d* and I'll be stuck with all this backhanded work in hot weather.   rofl

glenn kangiser

Nice drawing, Considerations.   You are very complicated, for a truck driver. :)

considerations

Gee Glenn, that was just one block in this life quilt that keeps being stiched together. 

I think everybody has done lots of things in their lives.  It was an adventure, and the skills have served me well, even yesterday when I moved a 30' 5th wheel for the neighbors.....but truck driving did not become a career. 

considerations

I sort of chickened out on the roof thing.  I figured being up there alone was a little silly for someone who needed to run to "the book" for each step.  :-\

So not, I'm not up on my roof alone.  I hired a guy to help me with the roof.  But what I discovered was I hired him so I could help him.

He kept coming over to help, and this is the sort of work he does, how could I not?  Didn't seem right at some point.  One can overdo leaning on the good will of the neighbors.

Plus, I'm likely to enjoy this place in the winter, rather than staring at a rotting hulk.  And he knows how to install skylights!  I think I would like a couple.