why not shed roofs?

Started by murphish, December 26, 2004, 04:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

Excuse the brevity, but I just wrote a long post and lost it because I forgot to fill in my name above.

Standing seam is crafted on site by hand forming and rolling the seams together as opposed to sheet metal roofing in various colors and styles that can be installed by most professional roofers or knowledgable DIY'ers with nails or screws. Standing seam is a top of the line roof and very expensive.

As far as my roof detail, I don't have purlins, just beams. 1"x8" tongue in groove (tig) pine is laid on top of the 4' oc beams so that from the inside you see the full depth of the beam and a pine ceiling between the beams. Back outside, staple plastic on the tig pine for a vapor barrier, then continue with the EPS foam insulation as described in my previous post.

If you want low ceilings on your second story, have you considered going with a slightly higher pitch (6/12 to 12/12) then building a loft area above?
Just a thought, don't know if it works in your plan.
Sincerely,
Paul in northern VT

Lady_Novice

jonseyhay,
Wow, your roof description sounds similar to what I read about in a couple of British "self-build" framing books. I had an idea for a timber frame in my mind and then I saw something similar in those books, which encouraged me in that direction. By any chance are you following the British "Segal" method of framing?

Is Villaboard similar to the wall covering that we call "drywall" (or sheetrock or gypsum board) in the USA?

(I kind of figured you were in the UK given your use of metrics. Forgive me if your real location is elsewhere.)
Lady Novice

jonsey/downunder

Hi Lady Novice,
I had a quick search online for the segal method but no luck, so I am not sure if it would be the same.
The method I have used is one that we use if the beams need to be exposed. The lining is simply nailed on top of the rafter or in my case the truss. I have seen the same thing with some of the cottages in the gallery section on this site.
Villaboard is a fiber cement product similar to Hardibacker 500 it has a recessed edge the same as gibrock (sheetrock) and is taped and plastered for a flat finish. It is mostly used as a wet area wall lining.
It is about 1/4" thick and comes in 4' wide sheets, to cut it you simply score and snap.
I could have used the sheetrock, but because Villaboard is reasonably weather proof, used that instead. It took me a while to get the roof completed. I also needed the slightly better bracing properties for my trusses.

I live in Australia, Southwest New South Wales. Here is a link.  http://www.visithay.com.au/

jonesy.
I've got nothing on today. This is not to say I'm naked. I'm just sans........ Plans.

Amanda_931

Nice article on Walter Segal.

http://www.segalselfbuild.co.uk/news/waltersegalbycol.html

(I used UK "Segal" framing for my search--still got lots of framed posters for George on the first page.)

Mixture of  timber framing and modular units, as far as I have read.

Built on posts on reinforced pads (hmmm, that sounds familiar!), according to this page on the same site

Amanda_931

Lady_Novice

jonseyhay and Paul,
Thanks for the explanations, as I'm currently researching different wall content materials. Insulations, sheathings, air barriers, vapor retarders, ridge vents, and on and on and on.

Amanda,
I think you've found the primary link about the Segal method. I don't think there's a lot of info about it on the Web or elsewhere. I read about it in a library book... a Segal structure is basically a simple post and beam (metal connectors, little hand cutting). It could also be considered a "pole" building as it is built around large wood poles inserted into the ground. Yup, sounds familiar.

I agree that ceiling heights are probably a matter of taste. The cottage I'm building will be somewhat unique, tailored to my own tastes, which seem to be the opposite of those of the majority. For example, I prefer "small and cozy" and much darker, more colorful interiors; I don't like the "light and airy" thing at all. I don't care for white walls, white appliances, and cream-colored carpet. But I need to worry a little about resale value, as I may not live there forever, so I do hope that the "it only takes one buyer" theory will apply... I hope some people out there may be charmed by something different or as inspired by the "cabin in the woods" idea as I am...
Lady Novice