Just received Little House Plans! Getting land ready now. Photos of progress

Started by AB5CC, August 17, 2009, 09:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AB5CC

I have purchased 2.5 acres on a mountain top in southeastern Oklahoma.  I am planning to build the 14X24 little house.

We have been working on the land since June.  The soil is a really fine sand.  When we dug the outhouse pit, it was 3 1/2 feet of sand to get down to the clay level.

I have been reading this site every day and most of my general questions have already been answered in the forum.  I am sure I will have more specific questions when I start to construct the cabin.

I will include some photos from our most recent trip:

First things first, the outhouse!

Shower stall for the Zodi, flagstone floor.

12'X12' Deck/camping platform.

Westerly view.

Another westerly view.

Fire ring.

Another view from the cliff.

Boulders at the cliff.  My property actually extends about 50 feet beyond the cliff.

"road" out.  Property is 17 miles from highway, last 12 miles dirt, not all this bad.

Picnic table.

As you can see, the land is almost perfectly flat until you get to the cliff.  I didn't know Oklahoma had such beautiful views!
Thanks for looking!
AB5CC

pandaman

Thanks for sharing those pics. I had no idea Oklahoma could be so beautiful.  I'm jealous of that view.  I'm getting ready to build the Builder's Cottage here in Missouri and I'll be interested in your progress. Good luck!
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone." -Henry David Thoreau

http://allroadsleadtodog.wordpress.com/

ListerD

Me likey! Me likey!

I'm going to watch this thread for sure!  c*
"We shape our dwellings, and afterwards our dwellings shape us" -- Winston Churchill

MountainDon

w*  AB5CC

Nice views. How high is a mountain top in OK?

And yup, we love pictures. Not a bad road, I've seen and driven worse.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

AB5CC

MountainDon, you are gonna chuckle.  The Mountaintop is 1150 feet ASL.  The nearest valley is less than 600 feet ASL.  Thanks for the welcome.

ScottA, I am sure you know where this is.  It is South of Clayton.

AB5CC

MountainDon

That's more or less what I thought. Still pretty though. A mountain in NM like mine is 8800 feet. Airs a tad thinner up there.

What kind of trees do you have? We've got mostly pine and fir with some oak and aspen.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

AB5CC

I guess it is all relative.  If you are 8800' and the valley is 8200', you would have a similar view.  I once lived in Wyoming at 6700' and cooking was a challenge for this Okie.  Pressure cooker came in handy! ;)

The trees are Pine (18"-24" diameter), hickory, and oak in that order.

The nearest electricity is 8 miles.  Luckily, I have excess solar capacity here at my home.  I will take about 350 watts of solar to the new cabin when it is finished. 

Homesick Gypsy

Very beautiful area - I've done a lot of camping and hiking up in the Heavener area.

NM_Shooter

Very, very nice.

This will be a fun thread to watch.  Keep posting pix!

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

poppy

AB5CC

The last 12 miles is private road with a gate and security cameras and a guard shack.  I have never seen the guard shack manned yet however.  I imagine that it is manned during deer season to make sure only property owners are hunting.

There are at least 6 security cameras from all angles to catch tag numbers, etc.  At least they would have an idea of who comes and goes in case of a burglary.

TexstarJim

When we first came to Oklahoma in 1962, I was eleven, we lived not too far from your site.  A little town called "Jumbo" South of Daisy on 40 acres of land with a two-room shanty, no electricity, no running water, nothing.  But as kids, we didn't seem to mind all that much.  Studied our lessons at night by a kerosene lamp, took our baths in a wash-tub, heated the house (and the water) on top of a wood heater.  No television or any other modern conveniences, just plenty of room for a lad as myself to create adventures.

You're going to have to devise a way to create your own electricity since you're so far away from the grid.  Should be able to install a well and bringing in propane won't be a problem.  Solar and wind are options for the electricity or maybe a commercial type diesel generator.  I'm sure you've considered all your options and will be up for the task.

At my age, I'm not willing to do without the utilities as I did when I was eleven.  You won't see this old man cutting boards with a handsaw or carrying a tank of water home with me so I can bath.  But if I were younger, I might want to "rough" it for the challenge and the enjoyment of getting away from all the hustle-bustle of the big city.

My best to you and I wish you luck in getting your place and your dream a reality.
Rule #1: "Don't sweat the small stuff"
Rule #2: "It's all small stuff"

AB5CC

TexstarJim,
   If there was anything to see (lights, etc) in Jumbo, I would be able to see it from my land.  According to Google Earth, it is about 2.8 miles.  You can occasionally see the headlights along the Indian Nation Turnpike at night.

There is a difference between having to live off grid and choosing, I am sure.  You have an interesting story.  We will be using this place on weekends and vacation also during hunting season.  I have solar panels ready and some large batteries.  Plus, we have a generator for occasional use.

Kenneth