Flashing.... (a window or door, Glenn)

Started by MountainDon, March 17, 2008, 06:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

We've had a few discussions on proper flashing techniques before. But I can't recall ever seeing the following question.   ???

Is it best to install a window or door before or after the drainage plane (felt or housewrap) is installed??

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MikeT

How does one define "best"?  It appears that the installation methods under which Milgard will stay behind their warranty have two options:
1. Install the sill drain plane first, then the window then the drain plane on the sides then the top.

or

2. Install an entire drain plane, then the window, then the housewrap.

I would be interested in knowing the best type of caulking folks use.  The construction guys on the Oregon coast say that Vulkem is their choice.  But some window installers in the valley here say there is a better product called NB 13 or something....

mt

PEG688

Almost always the wrap / felt should go on first , the area at the top should be cut back at a angle and flipped up out of the way . The door or window is set with the lower flanges / flange as a door , MTL , will not have a bottom flange , unless it's a patio door and not all of those have bottom flnages , althought it is good , some of the time that they do, like at a deck.   

Then after the door / window is set the head flashing / metal is applied then the wrap / felt is layed over the flashing , again thinking like rain and leading the water to day light, always , no exceptions .
On these new "drainage plain" walls , which I've never done , I can see lots of issues with those on how , where , why etc the penertration would or should be dealt with, deeper surrounds , wider jambs , wierd head details that may not be as clean looking , and will just different , which in turn may put some folks off.

So all in all , it depends on a lot of specfic factors to give a one size fits all answer , well unless I just said , Yes to your whole question / post Mtn D  rofl 

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MikeT

Say, PEG.  Do you have an opinion on Vulkem as a sealant?

PEG688

Quote from: MikeT on March 17, 2008, 08:59:39 PM

Say, PEG.  Do you have an opinion on Vulkem as a sealant?

I've never used it , but hear it's good , we use Big Stretch generally.  Every area has it "best" caulking , hell on the south end of this island they same lumber yard /  small chain they swear by some other brand and don't stock Big stretch.

Big Stretch guns nice , generally / always it needs two fillings as it shrinks some what , as they all do , so the second time a day later makes for a nice clean filled in job.   

glenn kangiser

I guess Don doesn't want me to demonstrate proper flashing technique. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Been there, seen that... [shocked]

...but if you are unable to resist  ::)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MikeT

This is Portland bar-owner, Reed College alumnus, and former mayor Bud Clark:

glenn kangiser

I'm trying.

Lost the power to resist.  No self control.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

MountainDon

I knew it.

So back to the topic...  ;D

details from the folks at Grace

Flanged Window, flashing installation after weather resistive barrier...

ED: option 2 removed for near redundancy - MD

MountainDon

Those drawings, and more, are available for download in PDF form (also in DWG for CAD programs) from Grace

PEG688

Option #1 was what I said / like best.

Mtn D It's a good thing we got you here to keep Glenn and his minion in line c*  . Someones gotta be the adult , even if ya got a green face  ::)  :) 

Edited to add : Dang you changed back from the St Patties day avatar  :(

MountainDon

Gotta wait till next year again. Of course, there's Halloween.  :)

Maybe I should do a July 4th.  ???

PEG688

I hope I didn't offend MikeT by calling him Glenn's minion

MountainDon

Here's the Grace sheet on window sill pan options for flashing...

glenn kangiser

Mike T is building in my old back yard, so I think he probably has very good judgement as well as, must be very intelligent and a great minion.. [crz]

MikeT

Hmm,  what is a good response..... ???

Of those attributes, only one is probably true.

Off on a business trip (a red eye to DC), so that should tell you.....that the first two probably are not applicable.

Later,
mt

glenn kangiser