20x24 Log cabin with loft - built from white pines from our property

Started by Remington760-308, November 02, 2012, 06:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remington760-308

Today I worked on clearing the brush to make way for the driveway. The weather was cold and wet.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Remington760-308 on November 02, 2012, 06:54:18 PM
Today I worked on clearing the brush to make way for the driveway. The weather was cold and wet.

w*    Got a long way to go.  Keep us posted on the progress.  If I can ask what general area is your build?  Might be of some help with log construction if you have some questions.

NavyDave

ColchesterCabin

Thinking back to when I was clearing brush vs. where I am as of the end of today... wow where has the time gone. First of all let me say welcome and congrats on the start of a fantastic journey. Looking forward to watching yours develop and pictures as well.  w*
Visit my thread would love to have your input http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12139.0
Feel free to visit my Photobuckect album of all pictures related to this build http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p566/ColchesterCabin/

MountainDon

We don't get many log builders here, mostly we use sticks.  ;)

What style will you be using; round log, square log, saddle notch, a "dovetail" variant, butt and pass, scribed, ... ?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

mountainlady1956

Are you handscraping? taking to have them milled? Looking forward to seeing your build.

Sassy

Quote from: mountainlady1956 on November 03, 2012, 11:40:44 PM
Are you handscraping? taking to have them milled? Looking forward to seeing your build.

I know all about handscraping - did days & days of it  d*
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Remington760-308

Haven't done much since clearing brush-had to work to pay the bills. And IT"S HUNTING SEASON!  I am waiting on a friend with a small excavator to dig stumps and clear driveway and level out for cabin. I am building in Columbia NH any suggestions on post and piers or concrete pad or 3 parallel frost walls. I am thinking just post and piers with bigfoot bottoms with 6' sona tubes so i can keep it off the ground by 2'.

Remington760-308

I have been logging with my John Deere tractor. I am planning on d-logs. Butt and pass walls. I have about 1/4 of the logs i need.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Remington760-308 on November 07, 2012, 09:38:46 PM
Haven't done much since clearing brush-had to work to pay the bills. And IT"S HUNTING SEASON!  I am waiting on a friend with a small excavator to dig stumps and clear driveway and level out for cabin. I am building in Columbia NH any suggestions on post and piers or concrete pad or 3 parallel frost walls. I am thinking just post and piers with bigfoot bottoms with 6' sona tubes so i can keep it off the ground by 2'.

Yes log homes and dirt are not normally compatable.  Thats is why the older log homes had the sill logs rot.  They just used corner stones and through time they would settle into the ground allowing the logs to near  the soil and rot.  I used a crawlspace and combination half basement on my log house foundation.  I used an Alaskan sawmill to give a flat edge to the sill logs to set on a conventional deck/subfloor.  Another reason for the 1/2 basement was to place utilities in.  If I moved them to the main floor I would have lost a lot of floor space.  In addition that would have required that I frame partitions against the log walls which I didn't particularly like to cover.    An 24" mason (block or poured) wall would suffice for what you are planning.

In addition I would peel the logs and treat them as soon as you can.

Remington760-308

Remington760-308

Quote from: Remington760-308 on November 07, 2012, 10:28:57 PM

This is where i started. I will need 2 colverts.I am curving my driveway so people can't see the camp from the road.

Remington760-308

Quote from: Remington760-308 on November 07, 2012, 10:31:31 PM
This is where i started. I will need 2 colverts.I am curving my driveway so people can't see the camp from the road.
Looking up the driveway. this last picture is looking down towards the road from the very back of where the camp will be.

Remington760-308

Quote from: Remington760-308 on November 07, 2012, 10:34:29 PM
Looking up the driveway. this last picture is looking down towards the road from the very back of where the camp will be.
sorry for the pics right now really hard to tell where everythings going until we start the excavator-up

Redoverfarm

Still don't have it down pat but you are close.  Just go to the picture and see the "IMG code" in the list.  Go to the right and right click on the description.  It will say "copied".  Go to where you want the photograph and paste it to that location.

Remington760-308

This is a 18' White pine log. I hauled out a 21' but couldn't pick it up with the bucket. So i had to chain it and drag it. I think i have at least half my logs for my 20x24 cabin. [/img]

Remington760-308

I just can't seem to get the pic to paste correctly WTF!!!Sorry very frustrating gonna try again then I am done.[/img]

Remington760-308

Got it posted now its upside down but it is actually right side up in my photobucket >:(