New member....new design for the 1 1/2 story (20x28)

Started by kalstar, August 10, 2009, 10:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalstar

New to the forum......I am finalizing a revised floor plan for the 1 1/2 half story using 12 foot wall studs. I shortened the plan by two feet and designed it for 4 bedrooms, including a bath w/laundry, livingroom, full kitchen, dinning, open balcony overlooking part of the livingroom and all of the kitchen, small sleeping loft, even a small office alcove. It is to be built on pillars. If anyone is interested I will print, scan and post. Home will be used for vacation and seasonal rental in NH.

I look forward to joining you craftsman....some real beautiful things have be created here on this site!

glenn kangiser

w* to the forum, kalstar.

Looking forward to seeing your project.  Plans and pix can be loaded to Photobucket then linked here using the IMG tag so they will appear in your postings.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Bishopknight

Welcome Kalstar,

Yes please upload the photos, we're always curious to see people put their own modifications on plans.  [cool]

John Raabe

Greetings and welcome to the forum. :D

Your redesign sounds interesting. If you have either a scan or picture (jpg) of the layout you can link it to this forum page with the free image posting at PhotoBucket. Here is MountainDon's tutorial (some of the screens look different now but work the same)
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=3512.0

None of us are as smart as all of us.

kalstar

Sorry could not print from the old lap top I was using so here is the best I could do.

https://s680.photobucket.com/albums/vv168/jimkalweit/

Thank you for the warm welcome. Please feel free to point out ways I can improve the plan, I am not so sure about the office alcove...If I should just pull the wall back to the balcony and make it railings to match the staircase opening.

(John here... Let's see if I can post these images)

Main Floor

Upper Floor

John Raabe

I think you still need to work on the stair. I count only 9 risers and you will need about 14 I think (for a riser of about 7-3/4")

Also, not sure the Open Below area adds much to the kitchen.

Otherwise pretty efficient design.

lonelytree

Quote from: John Raabe on August 11, 2009, 07:48:54 PM
I think you still need to work on the stair. I count only 9 risers and you will need about 14 I think (for a riser of about 7-3/4")

Also, not sure the Open Below area adds much to the kitchen.

Otherwise pretty efficient design.

I have 15 at just over 7" and would not want my stairs steeper.

considerations

kalstar

I have only two kids, a boy and girl, But my wifes brother has 3 more, 2 girls 1 boy. I figured it might happen we end up there at the same time. I wanted to plan for that. The kids range in age but the oldest is 8 the youngest is 4.

I can close in the open space above the kitchen, make a half bath and some closet space. Do you think that would be a good idea or not needed/worth it for the $2500.00 it will take?

John Raabe

Kalstar:

Stairs can be tricky. If you have 15 risers at 7" high that is great but it will not fit in the area you have on the plan. It shows 9 risers. The rule of thumb is rise plus run = 17.5" so you would want 10.5" on the tread. 14 of those = 147" or 12.25' of stair plus landings on a straight run.

kalstar

Thanx for the input. I put a full bath above the kitchen in what was the open area. So much for keeping the cost to $45,000 or less! I got the stairs to fit with a 7 inch step and a longer run. It is pretty steep though. I will post some photos. The other thought was 4' wood spiral stairs but that is $1600.00 which is a little steep (pun intended) :).

trish2

Glad you decided to put a second bath in upstairs. Suggestion:  Put a door into it from the hallway so that all the upstairs bedrooms can use it.  You don't want sleepy eyed people trying to navigate the stairs in the middle of the night to use the downstairs bathroom.  That's just asking for a trip to the emergency room.

If all the people you enumerated in your post show up at the same time, you are going to wish you had THREE bathrooms.  ;D

kalstar

2 things........

1). Found the land and made an agreement to purchase (closing Sept 24th). Beautiful flat lot in Enfeild NH, just above Mt. Sunapee and very close to the lake.

2). Changed the plan to a 2 story with walk up (unfinished) third floor. I plan to go with a pillar/post foundation and will keep the size 20x28. I have changed John's plan quite a bit. I added a window seat, a recessed front porch, changed the bath on the first floor, eliminated one of the baths on the second, added more "open to below" space, modified the kitchen, modified the staircase, added a few windows and made an enclosed porch on the third floor (morning patio as my wife called it). As planned it is still designed as a four bedroom two bath with an additional sleeping loft and  a first floor bedroom. John's plans are so easy to work with!

Over the winter I will get the permits and start the house when frost is gone in the spring. I plan to build the cabin myself with a few buddies, weather tight over next spring/summer and finish work over next winter with hopefully a move in date of spring 2011. I am hoping I can finish for 50 sq ft. Wood stove as heat with electric baseboard as back up, a reclaimed kitchen, some used lumber, metal roof, T1-11 with 1 inch battens, low cost windows, metal roof and since I have my builders licence I plan to frame, wire, plumb, finish millwork, and install the septic myself.  We'll see!

germangirl

Sounds nice - would love to see the new re-design of your plan, and pics of the land. :)

kalstar

Just an update, the lot in Enfield had issues with the perc so I found and purchased a beautiful 2 acre lot in Campton NH. I will be breaking ground soon as the frost is out of the ground and hope to have it weather tight before the strart of next winter. I will print, scan and upload the final plans I have been playing with. I really like how it turned out but always open to new suggestions. It is still a 20x28 (2 1/2 story) with two first story  2x10 bump-outs. Oh and I have also decided to go full basement.

I was able to get a retired "over the road" 40foot trailer and have been loading it with free-bees (pun intended) for the past 6 months. Because my job puts me in contact with many people, I have so far gotten, a Vermont Casting wood stove w/pipes, all the windows needed from a house being torn down that were replaced only 2 years ago plus all of the light fixtures from the same house, all the furniture (and then some) from a high-end client that moved to FL that didn't want to truck "this country stuff" down, including an older flat screen TV. I got an an oil furnace less then a year old taken out when a NG conversion was done along with the year old hot water tank, brand new stack w/d never used that was left behind (the new owner did not want) plus two fairly new window a/c units, a garage door with all tracks (and auto-opener) from a new home that the owner wanted to turn the garage into a familyroom and an olde but goode 5500 watt qeneratator that wasn't running but now runs like a top all for free. I have made a list of what I will need and when I see it come available I jump on it.  I even got a full kitchen, 20 cabs, with all appliances (only a few years old), even the kichen sink from a forclosed property that had put in a second illegal kitchen in the basement. It is in perfect condition and the town was making the new owner throw it all in a dumpster. For the time of carfully taking the kitchen apart I didn't pay a cent. The $600.00 for the trailer is well worth the money and I am told when it comes time to sell it I will get back what I paid. The delay has been a good thing, so if you are in a delay this is just an idea that so far has has worked great for me!   It amazes me what some people toss as trash!

MountainDon

What a great idea!! The trailer, I mean and then filling it with freebies until you can use them.   [cool]
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

poppy

I second Don's motion.  Great idea.

I would suggest that you install some venting in that trailer, if not done already.

waggin

I bow down to your awesome scrounging skills; your list of "free-bees" is incredible!  I take it the pun intended referred to the uninvited squatters that made the trailer their home.

Campton is a great location, much nicer than Enfield IMHO.  Lots of great scenery and recreation close by.  I grew up with a family cabin in Rumney at Stinson Lake, so I know the area well.  When does the ground thaw out there?  I'm guessing it's not until April or so.  The lake didn't lose the ice until late April/early May if I remember correctly, but that's up at 1,300' of elevation.  Are you on a paved road?  If not, I'm sure you'll enjoy mud season.  Pictures will make me a little homesick, but I'm looking forward to them.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

speedfunk

awesome scrounging indeed.  Knowing people in the building trades is VERY valuable when building.  I have a couple contractor friends and it's helped a great deal.