16 x 28 SHED ROOF BEING BUILT FOR UNDER 10K

Started by Johnbrakingground, April 05, 2008, 10:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Johnbrakingground on January 10, 2010, 01:23:27 PM
Its actually right in Otis. My kids will likely go to Lincoln City schools.  Small world.

Otis Cafe.. My cousin and daughters worked there for a long time -Still? - I dunno.  My uncle used to keep his cows in the triangle shaped area where the two highways meet and my mom is still the mail carrier there but I think she works out of LC now.  I used to hang out at Roy McDonalds garage.

Please keep us posted.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Johnbrakingground

I will update as soon as something happens.   Thats very cool though

Johnbrakingground

Hard to tell whats what, but these are some of the pics we took this weekend.

The creek runs behind the property and there is a paved road on the the other side.

RainDog

Oh, that's nice! Ferns too! I'm green as well, but with envy.

NE OK

glenn kangiser

Hmm Looks just like the place I grew up in.  

A bit overly wet for me though.

As a kid I picked a few fern, cut firewood and peeled chittum to make a few extra bucks near there. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Johnbrakingground

Another dream crushed.  I just found out today that this lot is not approved for Septic and water is questionable.   We were suppose to sign papers this coming week.  This suck big time.  The septic place I called said they may be able to put a newer style septic system in but that it would cost around $16,000.  No thanks.   We will find a lot by this summer hopefully.

glenn kangiser

Sorry to hear that, John.  My nephew is in a place that floods south of LC and that is a real pain also.  Hope you find the right place soon.

Jens

composting toilet, and rain water catchment.  If the price is right, and the land is right, it's always doable.  Maybe even easier (not as much a compromise) than you think.  No pumping septic, no leach fields, no well problems.  You should get enough rain where you are.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Pine Cone

Quote from: Johnbrakingground on January 12, 2010, 07:50:30 PM
Another dream crushed.  I just found out today that this lot is not approved for Septic and water is questionable...

Bummer! :(

But so much nicer to find out before you sign the papers...

Keep looking, it's out there somewhere.

I looked, and waited, and looked, and waited...

Eventually I found a deal that worked for me!  I'm sure yours is out there somewhere, just waiting for you ;)

considerations

It took me at least a year and a half to find this property....now you know to get all those additional questions answered before you let yourself get too excited.  One cannot depend on the real estate agents to know (or tell you) the specifics about a property.  Just get the "street " address and the parcel number and head for the county seat to look all that stuff up yourself.

cbc58

Quote from: Johnbrakingground on January 12, 2010, 07:50:30 PM
Another dream crushed.  I just found out today that this lot is not approved for Septic and water is questionable.   We were suppose to sign papers this coming week.  This suck big time.  The septic place I called said they may be able to put a newer style septic system in but that it would cost around $16,000.  No thanks.   We will find a lot by this summer hopefully.

Bummer.  Keep in mind that it may be possible to approach an abutter to get an easement to put a septic on their property.... depending how bad you want it and what the abutting properties are like.  All of the cheap lots have some issue... and if someone could invent an affordable off-the-ground septic/waste water system (burn/evaporate waste/water) ... they'd be millionaires.  Anyone got any ideas ???  :-)

Johnbrakingground

Jens you got me thinking.  The property is still available and I was looking into codes for composting toilets.  It is legal to use them in Oregon.  The code for Grey water systems was a little confusing but I think they are also allowed.  Can anyone confirm either way.  I don't mind using composting toilets to save 15k on alternative septic system.    I am getting a little excited again.   Please any advice or general feedback from anyone that has run these systems.  Thanks

OlJarhead

Quote from: Johnbrakingground on March 10, 2010, 12:03:36 AM
Jens you got me thinking.  The property is still available and I was looking into codes for composting toilets.  It is legal to use them in Oregon.  The code for Grey water systems was a little confusing but I think they are also allowed.  Can anyone confirm either way.  I don't mind using composting toilets to save 15k on alternative septic system.    I am getting a little excited again.   Please any advice or general feedback from anyone that has run these systems.  Thanks

Hmmm....how remote are you?  Will you live there?  I probably missed that.

In WA Composting toilets are allowed but if you have a well or live permanently you MUST still put in septic.  Rain water is doable but not for living unless you put in a major cistern with pump and filter etc and the state probably won't go for it.

But if it's remote, out of the way, hidden off the main roads with a 4x4 trail to get there then who knows ;)

Freeholdfarm

Quote from: Johnbrakingground on March 10, 2010, 12:03:36 AM

You really need to go to the county building department and talk to one of their engineers.  Make an appointment if necessary (more likely to get some of their time that way).  Tell them what you are thinking about doing and ask if it's possible, and turn that around and tell them about the lot and ask how they would recommend doing it in order to make things work with that lot.  I'm in Klamath County, and I'm not sure how similar the codes/regulations are from county to county, but here we can have a composting toilet only if there is a place to put in a septic system later if it should be wanted or needed.  In other words, if you have a lot that won't perk no matter what, they won't consider it buildable even if you plan to use a composting toilet for the rest of your life.  But if there's a place to put in a septic system later on (even if you know you never will do that) then they'll let you use a composting toilet.  Personally I would at least start out with a humanure system (low cost and easy maintenance).  Here you have to bury the waste from the composting toilet at least 12" deep, and I think there were some other stipulations as well -- it's been a while since I looked into it. 

I love the Coast -- was born at Florence and would love to live in that area again, but it's gotten so costly that it's not likely I'll ever be able to.  I hope you'll post pictures if you do get the lot and start building!  (If you do, keep in mind that the Coast can experience very high winds at times -- tie your structure together extremely well!)

Kathleen

Johnbrakingground

Kathy,  Down in Klamath county is where all that inexpensive land is correct?  We thought about buying some land in Christmas Valley and putting up a vacation house there.  So you can use a composting toilet down there with out a septic as long as you could put a septic in?  How lax are the building codes down there?

eddiescabin

Don't put the cart before the horse!  I'll bet anything the septic nor gray water system is allowed BECAUSE of that creek you seem so enamoured with