upstairs down stairs and visa versa

Started by UK4X4, December 02, 2012, 08:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UK4X4

I have  a Q to all you american chaps...

The GC has been sending lots of pics of the build so far- he has however brought up a major point.

Seemingly the Views from down stairs as its within the tree line are relatively Ok but nothing special- he says the views from upstairs are astounding.

He has not put any walls in the house yet accept for a couple down stairs and the staircase ones.

he's thinking we might want to re-concider the design and have the beds on the ground floor and the living area and kitchen upstairs.

i have no issues with those thoughts but wondered about re-sale value down the road as ones persons ideas are often as not some one elses.

the upstairs has 6ft side walls and vaulted ceilings where I was going to put in some fake beams etc to make it more interesting.

The foundation is designed to take a full two story and the snow load so an upper deck is not an issue either as it ties directly into the main foundation.

So is putting your standard down stairs - upstairs an awfull idea ?

firefox

On the surface, I think it is a great idea. The only downside I can see is getting the groceries
to the kitchen. If you do this, have them install a dumb waiter(Small elevator for food, etc.)

If the views are really spectacular, I think it would be worth it.

Just my two cents.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Native_NM

Kitchen cabinets on 6' sidewalls might be interesting. 
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

MountainDon

Karen and I would not hesitate to have the upstairs be the daily living space when there are views to be considered. Dave Sparks' home (Sierra Nevadas in CA) is all upstairs above a garage / workshop space. We loved it when we saw it. The 6 foot sidewalls might be a problem though.... not sure how to work around that off hand.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

UK4X4

6ft side wall in a bed room was'nt a problem ! and was done to keep the overall height below the HOA rules

so the kitchen may need some creative thought !

Rob_O

I have stayed in a number of rentals where the "main floor" was upstairs with the bedrooms below. I could live with that arrangement
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."