Maine Mountainside 20 x 32 cabin

Started by MaineRhino, September 30, 2007, 07:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillsvillehermit

Awesome looking cabin. I hope to build a full time residence with the same dimensions within the next year or two. I was wondering what is your roof pitch? From the pictures you have posted it doesn't appear to be quite 12/12.

MaineRhino

It is 8/12. Just steep enough to keep off the snow, but easy enough to work on. :)

John Raabe

MaineRhino

I love your project but wonder if you have had any troubles with any sagging in the ridge or bowing of the walls. You ran the loft joists the opposite way I do in the 20' wide 1-1/2 story plans - the tie to the walls looks like it only happens at the loft support beam. Also, you don't have as many rafter ties as I call out in the cathedral section.

I assume you have a non-structural ridge board at the peak. I see you did get in some high collar ties. That certainly helps stiffen the rafters.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

hillsvillehermit

What is the height on your walls? It looks to be 10ft?

nathan.principe

I have a question on your grey water system, is there any tank involved? or does the drain pipe by-pass a tank and hook up strait to the baffles? thx! and great looking place :)

MaineRhino

Quote from: John Raabe on December 30, 2010, 06:41:33 PM
MaineRhino

I love your project but wonder if you have had any troubles with any sagging in the ridge or bowing of the walls. You ran the loft joists the opposite way I do in the 20' wide 1-1/2 story plans - the tie to the walls looks like it only happens at the loft support beam. Also, you don't have as many rafter ties as I call out in the cathedral section.

I assume you have a non-structural ridge board at the peak. I see you did get in some high collar ties. That certainly helps stiffen the rafters.

Thanks John.  The ridge looks OK so far.
Here's an old shot or 2....

The walls are not bowed out either. So far so good........... [waiting]

MaineRhino

Quote from: hvfd_firefighter on December 31, 2010, 10:40:10 AM
What is the height on your walls? It looks to be 10ft?

The walls are 10', which worked out perfect for us. That allowed us full 8' walls under the loft area, as well as more head space in the loft. [cool]

It also allowed for shelving to go over the windows, and enough room to display "stuff".

MaineRhino

Quote from: nathan.principe on December 31, 2010, 12:09:32 PM
I have a question on your grey water system, is there any tank involved? or does the drain pipe by-pass a tank and hook up strait to the baffles? thx! and great looking place :)

No tank, just a straight shot to the 32' long baffle system.

Before....

During...

After.....

It looks bigger than it really is because I had extra sand brought in to level a spot for an 18'x20' screen house.  It worked great!

John Raabe

Thanks for your answers to all the follow-up questions. Things look solid and will probably stay that way. Wood frame construction is amazingly forgiving. Code rules, especially more recent ones, are often written to include attempted solutions to problems that will never occur in 99% of the houses over their entire lifetime.

This is a very handsome place you have built with taste and care.

Turkeyhunter

Beautiful Maine camp----like the trail came pic's as well. Great craftsmanship............i love visting Maine --i try to do so at least one a year...........

duncanshannon

really nice looking place! just read the whole thread start to finish. That Rhino looks pretty sweet! 

Thanks for posting all the great pics!
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

MaineRhino

Just an overdue update on the progress so far....

The inside is close to finished. Just need to put on better stair treads and finally "finish" the loft stairs.
Also the fireplace surround needs stone, but the weather has been cold enough to have to start the woodstove almost every weekend!

The kitchen countertop will be finished next week. I'll be building it out of hardwood flooring, and will post the results when finished....

The 12x16 bunkhouse is close to finished. Just need to cut the trim for the interior window trim.

The "woodshed" (sauna/shower/toilet) is up but not even close to done. It currently house all my tools, generator, etc....  Probably next years project.
Not very good pics, i'll update them next week.

duncanshannon

very nice!  thanks for the update!
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

John Raabe

Here's a suggestion.

The one in the middle isn't quite as important as the nailed off sheathing on the wall works like a big diaphragm to share the load. However, that corner porch post is the lone ranger out there.

Very nice kitchen in the main cabin.

MaineRhino

Thanks for the tip. I'll do that this weekend.  I had wondered if that would need to be done.......   d*

mogie01

Love your place MaineRhino, it looks warm and inviting.  I hope mine turns out as cozy :)

das fisch

nice to see more pics. have been up to avon a bit but have not really started the work I have to do. hope to be up there for a bit this weekend.

MaineRhino

A weeks vacation found us doing several small jobs, and one big one at camp.

Working with a 3/4" Advantech base, I installed 3/4" oak flooring to make the kitchen countertop.

Working front to back, I nailed thru the tongue of each piece. I probably should have glued it too, but I didn't... Although I did glue and nail the trim board, which was routered to a proper edge. A couple hours sanding and patching.......

Finished with a Spar Urethane, 3 coats, sanding lightly between coats.

Redoverfarm

Bishopknight

Wow, what a great job on the countertops! That's a really smart and cost effective way to do them! How come I never thought of that??? :)

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

EaglesSJ

Those counters are sharp. Very wise move with the flooring. Did I miss where you got the cabinets? They look familiar. Beautiful cabin. I'm green ;)

Nims8582

In case I missed it, did you use any of the plans from this website for this build (I.e., 20x30 single story or 1.5 story)?

MaineRhino

Just a long overdue FYI to those interested....

After purchasing a 70 acre farm in 2016, and not using camp as intended for at least 6 years, in 2022 we sold it to a younger couple that has time and money to finish it.

We made enough to pay off our mortgage on the farm, as the real estate market is crazy here!

Thank you to John, Glenn, Don and many others that had encouraged us, and for all the kind remarks along the way!