What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

What - no garbage can lid :-? :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

No garbage can.  Just those plastic, wheeled Waste Management carts.

I have done fry pan pizzas with aluminum foil covers when camping.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Sassy, I was re-reading things... first time was in a rush and missed your slpit pea soup. Sounded yummy too. I had some of mine for lunch. Have frozen a few portions.

[Ron Paul on Leni right now]
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

I thought that using garbage can lids to cook pizza was some kind of requirement around here.  We have to clear out the leftovers from the fridge tonight and get everything packed and ready for tomorrow to go to OK.  Was up until after midnight giving my husband critiques on the presentation he has to do Friday.  He hasn't had much of a chance to practice, so it'll most likely be a late night tonight too.  Of course, if I hadn't made him wait to start on it until after Ron Paul was done on Leno, we probably could've gotten to bed earlier.  

Sassy

Gee, you're busy, Homegrown!  Wish I could have seen Ron Paul on Jay Leno - it will probably be on YouTube, though.  Wish your husband the best on his interview!  Have a great time & hope your find the place of your dreams while in OK!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Homegrown Tomatoes

Well, I heard back from the realtor I contacted... she's set up three properties for us to look at... I noticed they were the three most expensive ones on my list of possibilities even though I told her we would probably prefer to look just at land.  The one has a beautiful and incredible barn I could live in, though.  Really nice horse barn with shiny wood and metal stalls and electricity and plumbing and the whole nine yards.  The listing showed no pictures of the house, although there were multiple pictures of the land and the ponds and the cows... it said it had a 3 bed/2 bath 900 sq ft. house, too.  In 900 sq. ft. it must be mostly bedroom and bathroom.  Did I mention we don't own a horse?  Anyway, looking is fun.  I still prefer the idea of buying land... however, I think the real  looking will probably happen after we move.  She didn't want to show me some of the land properties I'd picked out because they didn't yet have a well... shoot, I've never been anyplace in my home state that you couldn't dig down just a few feet and hit water.  And after the water we have in our well here, anything seems potable by comparison!!  (Our water here is so bad that the first time I did laundry after moving here, it literally rusted holes in some of our sheets and clothes!!)  After about $2000 worth of filtration equipment, plumbing, water softeners, and so forth, it is finally drinkable.  Then on top of that we had to buy new appliances and bathroom fixtures to replace the ones rusted beyond repair.  Even so, we have to replace the filters about every 2-3 weeks to be able to drink the water... at the end of 3 weeks, it even tastes terrible in coffee.  (I know, none of this has ANYTHING to do with dinner, does it?)

Show of hands, how many of y'all bought land that had no previous well and still found water?  Am I just being stubborn?  I think the realtor thinks we're too young to know what we want OR too stupid to notice that realtors make bigger commissions off of bigger sales.   :-/

Homegrown Tomatoes

By the way Sassy, while I was watching Leno last night, there was an ad saying that you could watch the show anytime on the computer... unfortunately, I don't remember where :-? It said that you could watch the episodes you missed online,tho.  MSNBC maybe???  Sorry I don't remember.  My brain is full.

MountainDon

The realator is probably just hoping ya'll fall in love with one of those properties/homes and go for it. Just remember whatcha really want and stick to it.

Yes I bought land with no proven water. But neighbors around who have drilled have water.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Heck, after all the rain they've had down there this year you could probably kick the dirt and create a mud puddle.

MountainDon

Beer-rocks!!  Okay, Beerocks, or Bierocks.

Rolling out the dough. I couldn't find the rolling pin (neither of us bakes) so I improvised. Ice cold from the fridge... I seem to recall reading that a chilled marble or ceramic roller works best. Don't need any fancy marble roller!

And here they are, ready to eat. Whole wheat frozen bread dough, ground beef, cabbage, onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper... They were pretty good, but I over did the baking time a little; too well done on the bottom. And next time I'll use more cabbage and more spice of some kind. Maybe roll the dough a little thinner.  :-/

The other days crock pot split green pea soup...

Homegrown Tomatoes

The Beerocks look good... never heard of them before this forum, but then I never heard of garbage can lid pizza before either.  Guess I just don't get out enough?  

My kids don't get the whole trick-or-treat thing, so they just left with dad a few minutes ago to go take candy to all the neighbors.  They thought we weren't giving it away fast enough, I guess.

You're probably right, Don... I like looking at houses, even the really bad ones because you see what all NOT to do.  The first one that I'm supposed to look at on Friday is awfully tempting from the pictures.  The house is nothing really fancy, though it is roomy and well kept, but with a fenced 50 acres and barns and so forth it looks pretty homey.  

After dinner we had some of the leftover tiramisu.  One suggestion if anyone decides to make that stuff-- use decaf coffee!  I made the coffee so strong that when we ate it the other night I was awake most of the rest of the night from the caffeine...  I figure I probably will be tonight, too, even though I only ate a little bit.

benevolance

benevolance

my real estate lady was a snake in the grass and a terrible person to boot... I found my home for sale and called the real estate office...We took one look at the pics on the net and wanted it...We did an assesment of the area how close it was to my wife's work the taxes the ordinances for my cars all on the net and when I called the real estate lady I was pretty sure I was going to buy the house.

She did not want to show me the house... she tried to talk me out of looking at the house on the phone several times... she finally agreed to show it to us and when she arrived an hour late she had a stack a inch thick of other listings she thought were better for us... I threw them in the trash right in front of her and told her this was the only house that she would ever show us...I was pissed

Finally she opened the door we went in and she started telling us reasons not to buy the house... why we needed a house in a area miles out of town less land smaller home with no features we wanted for 2-3 times the money this house was selling for...

she was a piece of garbage.......

We walked out of the house and my wife and I had our ten second talk and were ready to make an offer then and there...

do not lose faith... know what you want... write all of it down and keep looking at that piece of paper.. no matter what the real estate people try to sell you or talk you into you need to keep that piece of paper on hand and focus on what you want... Do not let anyone scare you into something else... stick to your guns... Success requires focus and stubbornesss...

Good luck

Sassy

Beerocks & split pea soup looks very yummy - it takes a little bit of trial & error to get th flavor just right on the beerocks & rolled out & cooked the correct time.  I can't find the whole wheat dough at our local grocery store - guess I'll have to look down in the valley.

Was cleaning & refinishing all the floors in the house & porch/conversation pit today so fixed some frozen chicken pot stickers for dinner.  I put a little coconut oil to brown them, then added basalmic vinegar & then the sauces that came in the package.  Quick & easy - tasted pretty good.  

Homegrown, I really enjoy looking at homes & land for sale - we're not in the market but I like to see what's out there for sale, the prices etc.  You'll enjoy looking at the properties, I'm sure - the 50 acre place sounds pretty good, but then would you have to remodel again?  It's really nice to find some land you like & build what you want, although, it takes a lot longer...

glenn kangiser

That garbage can lid oven was a stroke of genius, Homegrown and I see it has made quite an impression on you. :)

I am making a shop heater from that barrel I used for the Rocket Stove, and I think I will try to incorporate that garbage can lid into it so I can impress you with more garbage can lid culinary masterpieces.

Good luck on the land search and don't forget to offer at least 10 to 15% less than they are asking.  Sometimes it is possible to find deals that don't go through an agent but that is easiest if you have been there a bit.  

Congrats on the Beerocks, Don.  The first of many more. :)

The garden sounds great, Homegrown.  We tried a few new vegetables this year.  After talking to our Aussie members I wanted to try Swedes so planted some.  I remember my grandmother talking about Rutabagas (Swedes) years ago but never tried them.  We should get more this winter.  The seedlings look good

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

QuoteThat garbage can lid oven was a stroke of genius
Is there a Kangiser coat of arms?

If not maybe we need a competition to design one....

Crossed welding torches (a stick arc & a gas cutting) over a garbage can lid, with a rocket stove chimney and a windmill with a plate of parsnips in the background?   ::)

glenn kangiser

There was one but I think some company just created it to get me to buy their genealogy book. :-/

My relatives were from Lithuania but the name is German and means something like --One who pours from a can.  Could it have been a garbage can?

Or could it have been "one who was poured from a can"  -- An ancient Kangiser falls asleep in a dumpster he was diving in and is poured out from the can in the morning by the garbage man?  

I don't know, Don.  The possibilities for the Kangiser coat of arms doesn't look too promising so far.

Sassy

Homegrown Tomatoes

;D ;D ;D

Our last name means "Wide".  I don't think I like that too much.  My husband likes to make it sound better by saying it means "open" or "expansive" or "broad"... aren't they all just another way to say "fat"?

Don, love the orange face and head... my kids would get a kick out of that.  

glenn kangiser

Easy there Homegrown.  You're just feeling sensitive right now. :-?  

Try to think of the garden and pretty flowers and stuff. 8-) :)  

I'm sure the name refers to boatmen in Korea and how they successfully navigated a wide river or some such. ::)  

Not the state of any particular person in the family. :)

MountainDon

Fish: peppered salmon fillets, grilled. Parsnips: sliced, partly steamed, then fried in Smart Balance. Tossed green salad with tomato, black olives and a couple small pickled jalapeƱos, olive oil & vinegar dressing.

Desert: yes, desert! Some absolutely wonderfully delicious Halloween motif cookies that were gifted to us by an appreciative preschool parent. Melt in your mouth shortbread, perfect sweetness frosting... Superb!

from a local business that ships...
http://patisseriec.com/

Sassy

Those cookies look like some fine eating!  Dinner sounded good, too.

We had some friends over for dinner - I fixed white bean soup with ham hock, onions & garlic & Glenn insisted I cook dumplings in the soup so I did.  Steamed some "sweet mama" (winter squash) & put some honey/butter/brown sugar on & broiled, cornbread, fruit salad, variety of olives, tomatoes, pumpkin pie that our friends made from a pumpkin they had.  We were all very full but it sure tasted good...  :)

Homegrown Tomatoes

Hmm... had  Tom Kah Kai at a Thai restaurant in OK tonight... been a long time since I had it and it was delicious.  It's nearly midnight and still no sign of my backpack from the airlines.  I want to know how when they had five cotton pickin hours to get it on the plane they still managed to lose it, especially since it was a non-stop flight, and they didn't get it in on any of the flights within the next several hours.  The rental car company didn't have the toddler car seats ready like they were supposed to...  The baggage claim people sent us on a two hour scramble looking for our own luggage because they didn't want to own up to their mistake.  

Sassy

that's why we don't fly anymore - its happened to us several times  >:(  hope you get some rest!

glenn kangiser

I was a bit worried about whether we would be blessed with your presence while you were traveling.  Thanks for checking in, Homegrown.  You now rate as a true Countryplans addict.

Hope you get your stuff-- I hate traveling and may be a bit to radical for TSA to allow me to go unmolested. :o  They pulled my son in for a special checkout -- don't know why.