Detwiler wildfire, near Mariposa, CA

Started by MountainDon, July 21, 2017, 10:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

LATimes story

Calfire

Two of our members, Glenn Kangiser and Dave Sparks, live very close to the present area of this wildfire. 58 homes gone so far. Maybe combined prayers and best wishes will help the fire avoid burning anymore homes. I haven't heard from Glenn but Dave and his wife are okay so far.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

hpinson

Darn. So many of us live with this.

I was just up in Grand Mesa National Forest, and saw they were doing some pretty effective forest thinning there, though on a small scale. 

MountainDon

The SFNF is doing an amazing thinning around us. It's a whole new (looking) forest.  [cool] [cool]
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

hpinson

I had the controlled burn this spring that SFNF ran - actually I wish they would do more: scary when underway - but it helped.

MountainDon

The scary part of the thinning will come this winter, with a little luck from the snowman. Most of the thinning has been done by tracked machines; feller bunchers and harvesters/delimbers. Mostly the trees have been thinned to have clear spaces where the slash has been or will be piled for winter burning. But along FR 10 the slopes on either side are too steep for machines. A ten man crew thinned using chain saws and have not created wide open spaces. There are dozens of "teepeed" log lengths and limbs that are to be burned. To me, a tree cutter with no formal degrees in forest management, there appears to be two dangers. One, some live trees are close enough they will receive heat damage and end up as standing dead. There are already many examples of this along Hwy 4 between mile markers 25 and 33 and along FR10 about 10 - 16 miles south of Hwy 4. The second danger is catching those now still live trees on fire as some slash piles just seem too close to standing live trees. I hope my worries are proved wrong when all is done.

It is still very cool though to now be able to see through the trees and be able to view distant slopes and peaks.