RECALL Notice on Electrical How-To Books

Started by MountainDon, January 03, 2009, 09:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

:o :o

Name of Product: Wiring a House, 3rd Edition and Wiring Complete, Expert Advice from Start to Finish

The Taunton Press, of Newtown, Conn.

Hazard: The books contain several errors in the technical diagrams that could lead consumers to incorrectly install or repair electrical wiring, posing an electrical shock hazard to consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: None reported.

Description: The recall involves the 3rd Edition of Wiring a House. The paperback book's cover is white and yellow and has a photograph of a man wiring a panel. ISBN #978-1-56158-942-5 is printed on the back cover.

Wiring Complete, Expert Advice from Start to Finish is paperback and has a green, black and white cover that shows hands wiring an electrical wall receptacle.

Sold at: Home improvement stores, book stores, and various other retailers nationwide from February 2008 through November 2008 for about $25.

Consumers should immediately stop using the books and return them to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Taunton at (800) 477-8727 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firms Web site www.taunton.com

Find out more here online
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Jens

"The word for the day children, is, whoopsie!"
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

muldoon

Crap!  That specifically is the book I have been using to wire this place.  Any idea on what's wrong?  Thanks for posting this.  I'm doing the last circuit this weekend, only thing left is the underground conduit to the pole. 

MountainDon

No idea.  ???  It's just something I ran across today and after I laughed, I got serious and decided this could be bad news for anyone who might have used it as their guide.

Maybe a call to the 800- number at Taunton would shed some light on the problem.

First time I recall seeing a book recalled.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

harry51

Well, the press release says following some of the technical diagrams could, under certain circumstances, lead to electrical shock. The first things that come to my mind would be grounding and bonding methods, things like mixing grounds and neutrals in a subpanel, etc. Just guessing, of course.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

MountainDon

That could be it. Neutral and ground can be confusing. The thing I am amazed at is that after all these years how can someone draw up an incorrect diagram. They've been done before. It's not like something has changed with the way electricity acts.

It really would be interesting to see what the problems are.

NM_Shooter

Hmmmm... now I want one of those books!

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

muldoon

You can have mine, private message me your address. 

phalynx

A recall on a how-to electrical book?  SHOCKING!  shocking I tell ya!