I need an exterior door.

Started by Jared Drake, March 25, 2012, 05:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared Drake

And this is the most bestest place I could think to ask. I'm wanting an exterior door with a window that lifts up and down. I can't think of how to Google that and the Lowe's website doesn't show any. Do any of you know what I'm looking for?
Jared

Redoverfarm

Most of the exterior doors I have seen are fixed glass in different styles.  There are storm doors that work that way.  I do recall my parents had one some 35 years ago but I think that the builder used a trailer door for an entry door when the house was built.  Something similar to this.

http://mobilehomepartsstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=OD3880VS&Store_Code=MHPS&gdftrk=gdfV21960_a_7c335_a_7c4581_a_7c4225&gclid=CNPYnvmOg68CFYuK4Aod4hwD4Q

I would say there is probably someone out there that makes them but you can bet it will be special order.

MountainDon

Lowe's (mine at least) carries one Reliabilt steel door with a single hung window in it. It looks like it belongs on a shed or a barn. All the other ones from quarter through full lite are all fixed windows. If I can find a link I will post it later.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Jared Drake

I'm replacing an exterior door. Was the one you saw the same size as a typical exterior door?

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Jared Drake

Thanks, I found it! Now all I have to do is see if my local Lowes has it. I appreciate it Don.
Jared

Jared Drake

New question: If I'm buying prehung doors, can I change which way my front door swings? I don't see why I can't, but I'm not sure how to do the holes for the deadbolt to go into the wall.
Jared

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Jared Drake on March 25, 2012, 07:31:08 PM
New question: If I'm buying prehung doors, can I change which way my front door swings? I don't see why I can't, but I'm not sure how to do the holes for the deadbolt to go into the wall.
Jared

You have to specify right or left swing.  That is standing on the opposite side of the door where the hinges would be.  Inswing to the right or swing to the left.   Most doors already have the holes drilled.  If not a spade bit and chisel  for the jamb. 

PEG688

Quote from: Jared Drake on March 25, 2012, 07:31:08 PM
Jared

If you're buying a pre-hung door , meaning a door hung  in a jamb , you could change the swing, the dead bolt hole that projects beyond the jamb can be drilled out into the trimmer on the new side.  If it even stick past the jamb far enough to need to be drilled out, that isn't a big deal IMO. 

What will screw you up is,  more than likely,  IF you change handing,   your light switches will end up behind  the door when it's opened so you'd have to come into the house , close the door , at least part way to turn on the lights on or off. 
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Jared Drake

Actually, the light switch is far enough away from the door that it won't be covered. So it sounds like I'm going to be ok.

PEG688

Quote from: Jared Drake on March 25, 2012, 08:12:10 PM
Actually, the light switch is far enough away from the door that it won't be covered. So it sounds like I'm going to be ok.

Glad I covered that with the catch all "more than likely" qualifier!!  [cool]   

Your switches must have been oddly placed , or you have no interior walls close to the door, generally the switch is either at the end of the opened door , or off to the side next to the door knob, right or left depending on swing of the door.

Is there a  window or windows beside the existing door? 
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

rick91351

Quote from: PEG688 on March 25, 2012, 08:10:00 PM

What will screw you up is,  more than likely,  IF you change handing,   your light switches will end up behind  the door when it's opened so you'd have to come into the house , close the door , at least part way to turn on the lights on or off. 

I do not understand how stuff like that happens but our home, a older 1960 ranch the back door is like that.  Reaching around and flipping on the kitchen light is easier than closing the door and fumbling to find a light switch for where you are at!  It was no accident, the door at one time was hung opposite or right.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.