14x24 on 5 Acres in Mounds, Oklahoma (2nd CountryPlan Build)

Started by ajbremer, March 21, 2016, 05:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajbremer

Saturday - December 9th, 2017

14x24 / 2-Story / with Shed Dormers

Have to start working on my roof so I made some 90 degree brackets with gussets supported
with a couple of trees that I chopped down. Then added 3 2x12's 10-foot long:

Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

ajbremer

Saturday - December 9th, 2017 (pm)

Started to sheath the shed dormer walls:

Beavers

Looks good...way better than trying to work off a ladder. [cool]

Are you putting collar ties in on your rafters?

ajbremer

Thanks!

I may put collar ties up, maybe some good looking beams.

Beavers

Beams would look cool.    Looks like you have enough trees nearby. Some hand hewn beams would be super [cool]

Can't tell from your pics if you put them in....I think you want blocking in between your rafters.  Might be easier to do before you get too far along with the sheeting.

MountainDon

Collar ties, or straps over the peak, are a code requirement, and even if there is no inspection are important as either helps to hold the roof together when those Oklahoma winds blow.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ajbremer

Yes, I'll be doing blocking in between rafters and I'll also use straps to keep the rafters against the top ridge.

Don_P

I think the trick is going to be keeping the dormer ridge from sagging and causing those cripple dormer walls from leaning outward.
Get a tape reading from floor to bottom of ridge at gable, yoke and at the center of dormer. Check plumb at king stud center of dormer windows, both sides. As you load up the roof keep an eye on it. You are treating that as a structural ridge beam over the dormer by not having ceiling joists tieing the rafter feet together. The bottom of your present dormer wall is a hinge. The dormer side walls can bear on and load the roof, or they can bear on the floor and help support the roof.

ajbremer

Sunday - December 10th, 2017

Did blocking today, top of shed dormer wall blocking left to do:

ajbremer

ajbremer

Monday - December 11th, 2017

Found a box of goodies that I forgot about:

Straps:

Beavers

ajbremer

Tuesday - December 12th, 2017

Got more sheathing on the small 12/12 pitch section done by the end of the day yesterday.

ajbremer

Tuesday - December 12th, 2017

Put a full sheet on top of the south shed dormer.

I'm building this totally by myself so I really have to be careful with every step and every decision
while I'm up there. The top of the ridge is over 25' from the ground.

I stood on the 2nd floor contemplating how I was going to get that heavy sheet up on top of that
dormer section for about 1/2 an hour. I basically lifted it up into the first floor and then attached a clamp to
hold onto the top 8' and then I lifted it up the ladder and through the stair hole up onto the second floor.
From there I lifted it up through the middle dormer rafters and wrestled it up on top of the rafters
holding onto the clamp to get it into position.

I've also been tying myself off with this huge leather belt and a ribbon cord just in case of a slip.

pmichelsen

If it were me, I'd invest in a proper harness. I can't imagine what that belt would do to you if you were to fall.

ajbremer

Great safety tip about the harness! That's all I got for now. The trick is, try to never have to even
use a harness by making sure there is no way to fall to the ground. Last place I built I made
scaffolding all around and it helped greatly. It really didn't take all that long to build it out of scrap
lumber and I felt much safer up there on that 12/12. I may build temporary scaffolding like that for
this place also.

MountainDon

Several years ago one of the members here was working solo, sheathing a steep pitched roof. Suddenly he was no longer posting. Months went by before he came back online. He had slid off the roof. I believe it was head first as he broke just about every bone in his hands and arms. He had to crawl out to the main road IIRC. He did recover, AFAIK, but it was a long arduous process.

We should all take the time and effort to be safe.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ajbremer

Thursday - December 14th, 2017

Got the west gable wall framed up today. Had to do a lot of those angle cuts:

Maybe it'll look like my little drawing?

This is a 44x44 gable window, I'll be doing the same thing over on the other side:

ajbremer

Saturday - December 16th, 2017

Trying to figure out how to repair these rotted French Doors:

Made the cuts in the studs that'll go up into the east gable wall:

ajbremer

Sunday - December 17th, 2017
14x24 / 2-Story / with Shed Dormer

Started to put studs up at the east gable wall (not done yet). I thought I would save some money at Lowes so I
purchased the cheaper studs but I'm finding that they split really easily when I toe-nail into them.

ChugiakTinkerer

I helped my sister frame up a shed with a 12:12 roof and a half loft.  She's got a 3x3 window in the gable end wall.  I doubt there's much worry about loads from above, but I just wasn't comfortable with a flat 2x6 as the window header.  Might have been overkill but I suggested two 2x6 on edge, like we did for the door header.  It just looked right for this old dog.

That 'giterdone' scaffolding reminds me that I shouldn't be cavalier about safety when I get back out to our cabin this winter.  When my sister and her ex built their place a few decades back, a very good friend fell off the roof and was laiud up for several months.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

ajbremer

Tuesday - December 19th, 2017
14x24 / 2 Story / with Shed Dormers

Finished the east gable studs and started more roof sheathing. After today, it's supposed to start raining here around
Tulsa, Oklahoma and then get a lot colder than what it's been lately, down into the 20's and teens at night. I'm still
going to try and get working on it as often as I can.

ajbremer

Wednesday - December 27th, 2017

I thought I'd get my roof on by the first snow here around Tulsa, Oklahoma but...

Here's what I was doing Christmas day!

Adam Roby

Sweet!    :)

I'm stuck in the city with thigh deep snow and -22 F temps...  it's officially tv/blanket/coffee season for me. 
Your build is coming along, nice to see you are progressing again - albeit in the snow.

ajbremer

January 5th, 2018

Got all of one side of the roof sheathed. Got a little warmer today, around 50. I'm going to try
to get to the other side tomorrow: