confuse newby big enchilada 14x24

Started by James(Guest), May 25, 2006, 10:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James(Guest)

aloha

ive been looking at this site for 3 years and haven't said anything but i have always enjoy reading this forum. this is my favorite place to go.

OK here goes im so confuse to what i wanna put on a lot that i inherit in kailua kona,hawaii across from the beach on alii drive. what made it confuse is that the lot is 31'x100' and im thinking of puting the 14x24 enchilada on it. i would like to build the enchilada as a vacation home looking like the one in the www.blueskymod.com. the only changes to the enchilada would be the roof. i would like the roof like that. like a box with the tung and groove on the cieling leading outside like the one in blueskymod. can it be done or will i have to find someone to draw up a roof plan for the enchilada.

owner of lot next to me also the same lot size as me. owner built a 2story 24 wide with the eave almost touching the property line

sewage hookup is on the corner of my lot. i have water.

so much good ideas on this forum. i can't think of what to do. so i narrow it down to the 14x24 enchilada but i want the roof change to the one in the blueskymod have.

should i build the walls 12' or stay within the standard size. I like were the 3 sliding window in the blueskymod at but i will have to eliminate 1 of the sliding window cause of the enchilada kitchen

hope you understand what i said cause i think i busted my brain

thanks james    

Amanda_931

Guy we haven't heard from for a while--codes inspector--would tell you that you really need so many feet between houses--both for things like fire protection, and, shudder, tenting the house to kill off the termites and so on.  Not a bad idea here.

People certainly use a lot of flat (nearly so, you do want water to drain) roofs in the tropics, especially if they are building with concrete.  You won't have snow loads, so it makes better sense than it would in ski resort areas in Colorado.   It might well need at least a consultation with an engineer to set it up.  

Another tropical strategy is to put in a very steep pitch--over 12 in 12 so that all the hot air has a place to go--away from you.

Most of the houses I lived in on Oahu had quite moderate pitches between 3 and 5 in twelve, IIRC (if I remember correctly).  In other words, you can do anything you want.

With another house that close, you want to consider placing windows for daylighting and air movement, and lack of sound transmission very carefully, so that there aren't privacy issues with the person next door.

glenn kangiser

Hi James.  The Little House Plans (part of the Enchilada set) have a near flat roof you could trim up per your wishes.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

James(Guest)

Hmmm

I guest ill scrap plan A. I think i made it more difficult for me lol. I think i will stick to the enchilada 14x24 plans and build it like a plantation cottage with open beam in the living room without the loft and add decks. I do have couple set of antique clawfoot tub, pidestal sinks and double wing kitchen sink to add in the cottage. that is what i do. I do tub and tile refinishing. so i could emagine how it will look. I also have 6 years of carpentry.

if i added the loft i will be the only one with a steep roof in the neighbor. my neighboring is almost like platation style homes. Plan A would of been a one of a kind and nice but its difficult. to much work.

will be a post and pier.

Plantation cottage or blueskymod flat roof

ill go  plantation. what you think?

thanks you two for the info.

James  

glenn kangiser

Sounds like the beginning of a plan, James.  

Now grab a napkin and a pencil so you can make some professional sketches like John does - see what it looks like. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Yes, that BlueSky module is interesting. They have basically built up a tall overhanging soffit and then blended it into the walls and back down to the decking. Very clever.

The Enchilada has the basic structural and cross section information for doing the low-slope roof. It also has a detail for a "false front" parapet wall that could be modified to serve as that tall soffit. The sloped roof sits inside this and you would have scuppers in that wall for drainage.

As long as you can work with the 14' width the Enchilada will get you most of the way there. Interesting adaption! (Of course, you might still want to do the pitched roof for other reasons.)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

james(Guest)

as for you glen

i try using pencil and a square note book. i probaly bought 6 note book and a software in 3 years and still can't figure out how it works. i can do it on paper but i wanted to see how it looks on the puter. i was trying to make the enchilada look like a plantation cottage with decks and without the loft. so i narrow it down to what i saw onboard and thats the enchilada with the blueskymod box roof. so i had to be man and come on this board and get info from great minded people. im not that good on puter. it probaly took me about 3 hours to type this paragraft lol.

and for you johnny

now you making me lean back to the box roof  cause you said its interesting and yes it is interested cause thats what i saw on this board. if i could see a picture of how they frame the box roof or a print i would love that cause it is my first choice and my second choice would be a plantation cottage. man this was hard to type all this info with you guys. i betta go sleep.

GO ENCHILADA

james  

glenn kangiser

James - good typing and excellent stick-to-it-iveness.  Very manly of you. :)

Just make a little house with a shed roof then build fake wood boxes around the edge of the roof to make it look the way you want it to.  Water can drain off the back.

james(Guest)

lol glen you right, geez that was simple and it took me long long time to figure it out. it only took me 1 brave question and many hours typing to get good answer on this board and thank you, and thank you again all. ill try it glen. i have a good friend coming over with my dad and family today to bbq and his a good carpenter. ive seen his work with some kind of gold tung and groove cieling you could see your self. but i want real wood. so ill be talking with himtoday. nough typing for me until later.

thanks  james

james(Guest)

wow it works.

i wonder how much solar panel i could hide in the box to run the cottage. now i kind of worrie about heat inside of cottage would be like or what would have to be done. like insulation.

if i keep the walls 12 feet on the enchilada and box the roof and made the cieling the same hieght with flooring materials above cieling and in the near future. if i wanted a loft it would be easier right, but now i wonder how inside the box roof would look like.
prabaly you can put some kind of outdoor thing to go up to. like a big saddlelight dish as a umbrella or some kind of canopy to enjoy the view of the ocean. it would prabaly be more cool in the cottage too.

i also like what i saw on this board. slip forming. wonder how would it look like making the exterior wall with free lava rocks and tung and groove roof box. that would be cool too witth tropical plants around the decks.

sorry for the typing. i hope you guys understand.

aloha james  

james(Guest)

This lot that i inherit was way back in captain cook days and was once ruled by ali'i s (kings).

now im in a zone for typing.

glenn kangiser

Better ease off on the typing a bit, James.  Your are going to get a blister on your index finger. :)

Keep in mind that the solar panels must not be shaded, James - while not ideal they could sit flat on top the box and work fair.

When I took typing in high school,  the typing teacher didn't like guys in his class.  If you were a girl you got an "A" -- a guy you got a "D".  I took the hint and only did one year as I remember.  Wimpy little curly haired jerk. :-/

james(Guest)

lol its sore already from typing and the guiter. its getting hard