how to change building for built in cabinets?

Started by Brigitta, May 24, 2006, 02:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brigitta

I plan to build a very small house (not sure which plan yet). I would like most everything out of the way and as much open space as is reasonable and easy cleaning.
Would it work to put all the appliances, sink, shower, closets etc. on one long side and have sliding doors to close them off ?
Anyone do this sort of thing? or have advice? could the plans offered on CountryPlans be adapted to this?
Thanks, this is a great forum!

Amanda_931

One of John's designs has the first 6 or 8 feet of one short side for the kitchen and bathroom--complete with tub.  I like that one a lot.  (especially if it had a ground floor place to sleep, and two doors to the outside--although those windows look like they could be used in case of fire.  Sleeping lofts are not for me--weren't when I was in my 20's)

It's not quite what you were thinking of, but it may make better sense to have windows to the view on the long sides.

http://www.jshow.com/y2k/listings/25.html

What I really would prefer not to live in again would be a house that was so open plan that you looked straight into the shower (if the shower curtain was open) from the front door.

glenn-k

Hi Brigitta.

Many of Johns plans are non-bearing interior walls so the inside can be re-arranged as you like.

Brigitta

Yeah, I'm getting a little long in the tooth for a loft, but my cats would love it!
Maybe just consolidating the kitchen and bath on one end would do it, or maybe a shed roof addition along the long side with all the stuff in it, leaving the other sides for passive solar and views.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

griff

I am planning a tiny house for my dotage. Officially, it will be a "guest house" next to a daughter's house.

My plan is to make one entire wall, floor to ceiling, built in cabinets. Some sections would be drawers, some would be space to hang clothing, but all storage would be in that one wall.

The kitchen, then could be RV sized, spilling over onto the eating table when necessry.

My plan is for a loft, but it would function as a space for a visitor or two, as well as a library.

dave

Deana

I keep looking at this layout: http://tinyurl.com/e7yy3 (scroll down to  see the floor plan)
Rooms could be opened/closed up as you wished.
The couple listed the square footage at 580 and I'm still trying to figure that one out. Looks much bigger to me.
I think depending upon the actual room sizes/overall sq.ft. you need that any of John's plans are workable.

Amanda_931

I was thinking it might be as little as 24 x 16. Under 400sf.  Inside.  Judging from the size of the bed.  But I just measured it with my fingers, not a ruler.

My current thinking is a little u-shaped kitchen (with an outside door) bathroom sharing the short side with it, not quite like John's  Loft at the far end the same size as the one over the kitchen/bath (i.e., the building's longer).  Curtain or shelves to close off that end for the bedroom.  Those high-tech folding beds that we looked at a week or so ago looked pretty wonderful.

And a porch not quite doubling the size, with one end screened off to make a sleeping porch.

Travel trailer kitchens tend to have 6" of counter space.  Although the designs do seem to be getting better (and bigger).

I'd like to be able to welcome people to my house.  For me that means, never having to say, "Oh, yes, just go through the bedroom to get to the toilet.