14 x 24 cottage

Started by jstig, February 11, 2006, 07:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jstig

I have been working on my version of the builders cottage and am posting some images.  I couldn't get the plan exported from Punch but was able to get interior and exterior views.  The plan is very simple with the bathroom and kitchen back to back in one corner.   there are 2 lofts at either end connected by a bridge.  Prbably have a ladder or Jefferson stair to get up to the lofts.  The cabin has 10 ft side walls to give more head room in the lofts.  I couldn't get Punch to put windows in the gables but there should be a window on both gable ends.  This is intended as a vacation cabin so the kitchen is very basic - propane stove, undercounter propane refrig - simple cabinets and shelving.  Space for a small table by the double window.  I envision a lot of campfire cooking and eating at an outside table most of the time.  Dont know if it will be on a pier and post foundation or a continuous concrete block foundation with large crawlspace - maybe high enuf for storage.  The site does slope south with a winter view - too many trees to see the view in the summer - so it would be perfect for some kind of walkout basement.  I am beginning to think the site may be perfect for an underground house - so I am going to get that book that Glenn is pushing  ;D - and maybe go off on a completely diferent tangent.  But then treehouses have always intrigued me so maybe I will have a cottage, an underground house, and a treehouse........................HELP!!!!!   :-?

Jim

Here are the pics:

glenn-k

Looks cool Jim.   Nice work.

Why not do a little of each - see what you like.  

I looked a several methods of doing the underground cabin - the one that made the most sense was the cheapest.  He said he is recommending EPDM over the roof now - more durable than plastic but pretty expensive --but I still use plastic with tarpaper under it.  Smaller areas I use Costco tarps for the plastic - they are reinforced - others will work - Costco seems to be better quality for a good price.
I am trying to do a litttle of everything myself.  You never really know what you can do with a different building  process until you dig in and try it.  

Mike said he has to write a book with a more expensive method because people don't take his $50 and up book seriously.  I can say it works.

Daddymem

Why not do a little of each - see what you like.  

I can see it now...a builder's cottage with a large underground home beneath it...Bruce Wayne style.  Got something to tell us Glenn?  

keyholefarmhouse

This looks real nice for your intended pupose.  If you do a large crawl space on blocks, putting a secret hatch door in the floor would be cool.  Tons of "out of the way" storage.  You could even tunnel out from there to a different hideout!

glenn-k

I  think you are starting to get the picture, Daddymem-----I only have one small hidden room right now --going to be a root cellar later - not even access to it yet-- an early adventure with the backhoe.  Probably more to come though. :)

.....and meanwhile back at the ranch, grandma was busy pouring the beer down the drain while grandpa talked to the revenuers at the front door.  -----    They actually had a prohibition period when you couldn't make beer-- that actually happened.  You know how important it is to have a place to store your beer, Daddymem.

Another time my uncle was doing bulldozing with his Cat when the ground started foaming under the tracks.  He had run over uncle Con's old stash of beer -- he must have forgot where he buried it.  It didn't all break.  I heard that was a good day - of course they still had to try it. :)

By now, Daddymem I think the importance of a secret room is painfully obvious. ;D

Daddymem

The secret rooms around here connect to secret tunnels that head up north...remnants of the underground railroad..  But seriously, as a boy I had a house in my mind where it was a small, simple structure upstairs and an elaborate, multi-roomed expanse below ground.  That would work even better if the above ground portion were at the top of a hill and parts of the underground part were exposed along the slope...especially of that was a southern exposure. Throw in a set of stairs to a deck up in a tree and you have all three.

glenn-k

I love to see those wheels turning, Daddymem. :)