attaching posts to beams

Started by Jumpinfrog, June 30, 2008, 01:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumpinfrog

I am ready to attach 6 x 12 beams to 6x6 post. I used concrete block pillars with ABA 6x6 bracket anchored into rebar and concrete. I went up from there with  6x6's pt blocks ranging from 5"-11" under beams. Are T straps the best option for connection? Do I need to put t straps on both sides of each post? How far up do the straps have to go up on the beam minimum so as I can buy the t straps in sizes of 6 x 6 or 8 x12, 12 x 12 etc. Halfway up and bolted? Would these posts all under 12 " need 4 x 6 angled bracing?

glenn kangiser

I think the usually recommend the AC6Z for this, a pair per post.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jumpinfrog

I did spot those AC6Z brackets. I was wondering about them. The only thing I was wondering about was that they didnt have hole sizes for like 1/2" bolts like the t straps and would the 16d nails be enough into the post and beam to secure everything? I guess they can secure that 12" height on the beam eventhough
they only attach a couple inches on the bottom of the beam?

John Raabe

How serious are your wind and earthquake loads? For short posts like those most traditional houses just used 1x6 nailed off well between both sides of the beam post connection. You don't need angle bracing on short posts.

For extra beef use what Glenn shows. These do not have to be the full height of the beam. T-straps are better for reinforcing a taller post.
None of us are as smart as all of us.