14 x 24 Olympic Peninsula

Started by considerations, May 06, 2008, 07:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Quote from: considerations on August 24, 2008, 09:32:53 AM
Gee Glenn, that was just one block in this life quilt that keeps being stiched together. 

I think everybody has done lots of things in their lives.  It was an adventure, and the skills have served me well, even yesterday when I moved a 30' 5th wheel for the neighbors.....but truck driving did not become a career. 

All trades seem to overlap and I assume you get bored like me - can't stay with one.  That's part of why I like to learn as many as possible - that and so I don't get stuck by someone who wants to take me to the cleaners. 

I was never one who thought I should specialize in one thing.   I want to specialize in lots of things - more opportunity to make a living too.

I think you are doing great on your project and we all know if you really wanted to you could do the roof yourself.  If you choose not to it is just because it makes more sense. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Quote from: considerations on August 24, 2008, 09:40:51 AM

I sort of chickened out on the roof thing.  I figured being up there alone was a little silly for someone who needed to run to "the book" for each step.  :-\

So not, I'm not up on my roof alone.  I hired a guy to help me with the roof.  But what I discovered was I hired him so I could help him.

He kept coming over to help, and this is the sort of work he does, how could I not?  Didn't seem right at some point.  One can overdo leaning on the good will of the neighbors.

Plus, I'm likely to enjoy this place in the winter, rather than staring at a rotting hulk.  And he knows how to install skylights!  I think I would like a couple.

Wise choice. Yes a roof can be framed alone but it's not much fun , and a lot can go wrong fast when you don't have enought hands and feet to hold everything that needs held.

I really like the fact your paying the guy, so many people seem to think cuz I like doing this work so much I don't need payed to just yanno help them out for a lil bit ::) I find myself "busy" a lot, and well I am busy building things for people who want to be fair and pay me. So I really like that fact your paying the guy for his time.  8)

And like you said getting in the dry or at least where you can cover the place pretty well before the 'real' rain starts is a good thing.

I'd bet it's raining at your place right now , as it's clouding up and the breeze is starting for that low that's coming in today.

I should have looked back at your plans in the beginning of this thread , for the roof details. It'll all work out , get a palm nailer , you'll need one for the blocking , but like you said in the dry is the main goal right now.   
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

considerations

Ahhh PEG, thanks for your support.   Your questions keep me assessing the reasons for things.  It is healthy.   c*

I actually am the proud owner of a palm nailer.  I haven't tried it yet, but figured I would need it soon enough.

It started monsooning last night.  I got lucky, it tapered off enough for me to get the horses fed this AM without getting soaked, but it's been coming down hard since 6:30AM.  There was 1/2" of water in the grain bowls at 6AM.

I, however, being the reigning tarp and bungie queen of the neighborhood, crawled up to the loft last night and adjusted the tarps so the water runs away from the sides and interior of the cabin.  So far so good.  The sheets of OSB I tossed in there are dry, only floor at the door openings are wet. 

Depends on how long this keeps up.   Welcome to the NW

ScottA

If it's anything like my build it will stop raining as soon as the roof is on.  d*

PEG688

Quote from: ScottA on August 24, 2008, 01:06:10 PM

If it's anything like my build it will stop raining as soon as the roof is on.  d*

That's not likely in her neck of the woods , rain forest's don't grow where it doesn't rain.   
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

considerations

Yehhh its wet, but boy it is pretty. 

There are many beautiful places in this country.  This just happens to be one of my favorites. 

Rain is a sweet thing, as long as you have the options of being in it, or watching it through a nice double paned window.   :)

apaknad

unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

glenn kangiser

I'm from a little farther south - Rose Lodge, Oregon - Lincoln City area, and know you have to ask what day of the year it was taken on if you see a picture without rain.  No question it is pretty. :)

Summer usually falls on about July 6th. d*

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

I lived near Bellingham, WA for 12 years - beautiful country - while I like rain, I couldn't handle that much rain!  There's trade offs everywhere you live - it's just too hot & dry where we're at in California during the summer, our winters aren't too bad, though-especially up here in the mountains - but down in the valley, there can be fog for weeks - bone chilling cold & dreary - I don't like fog at all - especially driving home from work in the middle of the night - I've just about been hit several times when people don't stop at the stop signs out in the country - sometimes I have to drive less than 20 mph with my windows open so I can hear - barely can see one line in front of me - you are literally driving blind! 

BTW, great progress, Considerations!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

considerations

I like rain, at least this rain. We get about 40-50" a year, enough to irrigate all summer if I had a cistern.  It makes for riotous greenery, healthy wildlife and the bestest wild blackberries I've ever eaten. 

Too much further west and I'm afraid I would complain about the rain as well.  Some places on this peninsula get 160".  I'd have to grow gills.

I'm quite happy with just webbed toes.

I lived in SoCal years, but am greatful that "the journey" brought me back to the Northwest.

The good news is that this country of ours, for good or ill, still has wildly varied open spaces left for odd creatures such as us to stake a claim, put some roots down and make our lives the way we want them.

Sassy

That's not much more rain than we get here in the mountains - last year we got 50", this year only about 25" which has made for a very dry summer...  plus it didn't rain in March or April, which are usually wet months.  I like the rain - if it would rain & then clear up - right away - make everything clean & fresh, water everything so I don't have to do it by hand  ;)  I do miss everything being green but, as you basically said, there are trade offs with everything.  It is amazing the variety of weather, terrain, plant life etc we have in this country  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

ScottA

We average about 45" a year here. I always wondered why it's so green here. We must live in a rain forest.

glenn kangiser

I guess that a difference would be that the sun doesn't show in Washington to evaporate it all away. d*

Alasdair

120+ inches per year here on West Coast of Scotland.  If the sun shows here the UFO reports triple ...
We don't recognise each other out of our oilskins and wellies. (No bad weather - only bad clothes....)
If you can see the Isle of Skye its going to rain if you can't it's raining...

MountainDon

Quote from: Alasdair on August 26, 2008, 02:38:32 PM

If you can see the Isle of Skye its going to rain if you can't it's raining...

rofl rofl rofl rofl

Good One!!
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

considerations

In spite of all of that....folks....I OSB'd the two weather walls today, and yesterday almost all of the roof.  There's still a couple pieces in scary places the overhang in the front and the back that need doing. 

I have to bite the bullet and order the roof metal.  The quote was half what i thought it would be, delivered, but its the second big $ chunk this month.

Oh Well, between buying building materials, running up and down ladders, pounding nails and feeding the pets and livestock first, this has turned out to be an effective diet and exercise program.   :D

glenn kangiser

Well, be careful in those scary places.  Once you finish spending the big chunks, you won't have to do it again.  That's cool.

My buddy and his wife are soon headed to Sequim to visit their log cabin there.  He's the truck driver who chased the drunk on the sidewalk with the Peterbilt in Temecula.

MountainDon

Quote from: considerations on August 26, 2008, 08:41:25 PM
this has turned out to be an effective diet and exercise program.   :D

:)  I know what you mean! Over the summer I have not lost any weight, BUT I've had to punch new holes in my belts in order to keep them from falling off.   Once the cabin is done I'll have to continue clearing tress, splitting wood, etc.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

considerations

"My buddy and his wife are soon headed to Sequim to visit their log cabin there."

Their "log cabin's" kitchen is probably the size of my whole house.  There are lots of humungous ones around.

As far as rain, Scott, I don't think it is nearly so much about how much it rains, as it is about how it rains.  It can drizzle here for a week or two, punctuated by a real shower....and be foggy and overcast for weeks. That's probably what Sassy doesn't like, lots of people don't.

I like it because the ship's horns crank up out in the Straits.  UUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuu! (5 or 6 seconds)  UUUUUUUUuuuuuuu! 

Or it can rain steadily for 3 or 4 days, but only total about a 1/2 - 1" of measurable rainfall.

I think maybe in some parts of the US, like Texas and the Southeast there is more of the monsoon stuff...Big clouds come in, dump 4 inches in as many hours, moves on, sun comes out..repeat every couple weeks.

There is a reason there are so many windows in this little cabin.  During the winter I want all the light I can get.   8) (Not to mention the blockhouse effect). 

glenn kangiser

Their log cabin is an old family one - as I remember it was built right on the ground with no foundation and they had some interesting repairs to do.  I haven't been there.

considerations

"Their log cabin is an old family one - as I remember it was built right on the ground with no foundation and they had some interesting repairs to do. "

Good! I like that kind better, and generally have a greater affinity for the people that love them.  Some of them have planks that are 16 or 18 inches wide and 5 and 6" thick with dovetailed corners..  This is still logging country. 

Log trucks are why I haven't yet ridden my horse to the store.  A bit much for him just yet.  [shocked] There is a 1/2 mile stretch for which I can find no detour. 

glenn kangiser

Yup - log trucks can get smashy on corners.

Woodswalker

A couple years back a log truck lost its load rounding a curve on a major highway out on the Olympic Peninsula, killing two U of W researchers on their way to check some instrumentation they had going out there.  The driver and owner were prosecuted, as I recall, because the load was not adequately secured and the truck was going too fast.  I try to stay clear of all those 18 wheelers on the highway, especially on I-5.

Once you finish your current project, you'll have to start a garage/guest house/ or cabin to keep that exercise program going.  Five years ago I took in an 8 mo. Husky-mix who's owners could not be located, and promptly lost 10 lbs in the first two months.  We still walk several miles/day.

considerations

yep, I want better shelter for the horses, better hay storage, another tool shed, a root cellar, a summer kitchen, a spring house, a studio, a library, a green house and and and.........whoops, whow there!

Better back off on the coffee.  c*

Redoverfarm

CF is the land next to yours for sale.  At that rate you will need another "south fourty".  If you really plan ahead alot of what you are going to do can be combined to lessen the footprints.