Something I learned about stairs to a loft in Washington State

Started by Willy, May 26, 2008, 10:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willy

The inspector did not care about hand rails because it was not code stairs and called a ladder. Now having said that he wanted Egress Windows in the loft because you could sleep in it. Having low ceilings is not the reason for allowing steps instead of stairs. It was having less than 200 sq ft and the low ceiling stopped it from being called living space. I slipped by on the 200 sq ft rule due to the space for the stairs it got me under by inches!! So if your dealing with a permit look into all the rules on lofts and stairs a few inches could cost you big time. Another point was the deck and porch steps having code hand railings. They need to be 30 inches or less in height. My steps were 7 3/4" each except the first one and he wanted the code hand rails due to the gravel not being put down yet. He passed me if I would add 1 1/2" of gravel around the steps and the code railings around the porch and deck covered me for the much higher areas away from the steps. He measured just to the side of the steps not behind the steps so again a inch plus makes a big difference. Mark

PEG688

Call it storage  or a office , and make sure there is NO closet. That's how they determine it's a bedroom , NO closet makes it a office. 
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

PEG688

There's also a rule about attic space and having a access hatch if it's under 125 sq. feet , no access hatch is required. I think it's 125 Sq feet. Theres lots of nitpicky rules.

How'd your "last" step get bigger? They all should be within 1/4" IIRC of each other.   
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Willy

Quote from: PEG688 on May 26, 2008, 11:12:36 PM
There's also a rule about attic space and having a access hatch if it's under 125 sq. feet , no access hatch is required. I think it's 125 Sq feet. Theres lots of nitpicky rules.

How'd your "last" step get bigger? They all should be within 1/4" IIRC of each other.   
It was the first one on the porch and rear deck only. It was treated wood on concrete and I wanted gravel on the ground at the start of the steps. That was why it was  a little taller till I put the gravel down. Tomorrow I will be putting the 5/8"- gravel in the carport area and outside steps. Mark

considerations

Quote from: Willy on May 26, 2008, 10:29:26 PM
Having low ceilings is not the reason for allowing steps instead of stairs. It was having less than 200 sq ft and the low ceiling stopped it from being called living space. I slipped by on the 200 sq ft rule due to the space for the stairs it got me under by inches!!

How low was the ceiling?

How did he measure the 200 sqft?

This is so interesting

Willy

Quote from: considerations on May 27, 2008, 08:13:46 AM
Quote from: Willy on May 26, 2008, 10:29:26 PM
Having low ceilings is not the reason for allowing steps instead of stairs. It was having less than 200 sq ft and the low ceiling stopped it from being called living space. I slipped by on the 200 sq ft rule due to the space for the stairs it got me under by inches!!

How low was the ceiling?

How did he measure the 200 sqft?

This is so interesting
The ceiling in the loft was 6' at the ridge, when they measure they use the inside floor space on the walls and muiltiply it out. So a room 10 by 20 would be 200 sq ft. Mark

considerations

Thank you for answering, there is a lot to keep in mind.

Willy

Over 5,000+ lbs of gravel later and those steps are code now. In fact I got a path around to the rear deck and this should keep any mud tracking down to a minium. Mark

ScottA

Looks great Mark. I'm in the process of doing the same thing to mine. Just not with the warp drive speed you seem to have. I had 7000 pounds of creek gravel delivered to start with.

Willy

Quote from: ScottA on May 27, 2008, 08:44:36 PM
Looks great Mark. I'm in the process of doing the same thing to mine. Just not with the warp drive speed you seem to have. I had 7000 pounds of creek gravel delivered to start with.
Your lucky I had to bring it up in the back of my pick up! The guy dumped a yard in the bed thinking it would sag and it didn't. Since the price of fuels so high I said put another yard in. That made the truck level and the ride was great in the old 1 ton! They want allmost $600.00 to bring 10 yards up to the cabin at $90.00 a hour drive time!! I need to check for a closer gravel yard to do the drive way with. Mark

SkagitDrifter

Mark-
I have watched your progress and you have done a great job!
I too am building a cabin in Okanogan County- East of Tonasket.
Did you find the inspectors to be difficult or picky?  It seems from your last post that they are looking at every detail.  Any tips for a guy who is where you were not too long ago?  Thanks.

Tom
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

Willy

Quote from: SkagitDrifter on May 28, 2008, 05:56:02 PM
Mark-
I have watched your progress and you have done a great job!
I too am building a cabin in Okanogan County- East of Tonasket.
Did you find the inspectors to be difficult or picky?  It seems from your last post that they are looking at every detail.  Any tips for a guy who is where you were not too long ago?  Thanks.

Tom
That is nice land east of Tonasket! I drove thru there many times on the way to my cabin. I am thinking that may be the area I build in the next time. They realy were picky just made sure you were to code. Steps are a life/saftey thing so they want/need to make sure there right. Egress windows is another code watched to make sure your windows are right. As far as the rest of the cabin he just looked around and said nice job and signed it off. So stay on there good side, ask questions if you want to make sure you are doing what they require. Do as little as you can get by on to get it signed off then add the rest so you have less chance of being corrected. The guys in the building dept are nice if you don't cross them or try to pull a fast one. You will be fine if you follow the life saftey things to the "T" like steps, windows, railings ect and the rest is your problem if the roof leaks! Mark