Welders Take Note...

Started by MountainDon, July 24, 2009, 07:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Some common cleaners we may have around the workshop or garage can form deadly poisons if subjected to MIG or TIG welding.

Here's a link (loads slowly as it's a picture of an article in a magazine)

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

firefox

Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

glenn kangiser

That looks like a bad one. Thanks, Don.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

harry51

Thanks, Don. You may have saved someone's health or their life by taking the time to share that article. I forwarded it to a number of friends, and they will likely do the same.

H.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

diyfrank

I use that stuff a lot.
It made me rethink what I use it for.
Home is where you make it

cordwood

You have to be careful welding almost anything. If you use Remoil (gun oil) on something before you hit it with a torch you can get Phosgene gas as well and it don't tell you that on the can! It says "Contains Teflon lubricant" Which would be "polytetrafluoroethylene" or PTFE that at varying temps. creates a myriad of deadly gasses! I don't use Teflon pans anymore and I don't get the headaches I used to. After years of welding galvanized pipe panels I don't weld down wind EVER, Took a few bad sick days but I learned d* d* d*
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

MountainDon

Zinc from the gases given off by welding galvanized metal can not only make you sick right now, it can build up in your body over time.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.