30x40 Earth Berm Passive Solar in Maine

Started by Bishopknight, October 13, 2008, 09:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedfunk

I'm not sure if those curtains go with the cinder block and raw drywall "look"  ;D

congrats on getting well/spring in

Also thanks for showing the heating up of the plastic tubing.  Mine leak a little bit , it must be common procedure to do this lol.  Always at the bottom of the learning curve  d*

Bishopknight

Jeff, I'm going for the trailer park look.  [waiting]

Anyways, on to pics! I parged this weekend. This is one bag

and heres the other one. Each bag takes about 2 hrs to mix and apply.

I also pressurized my plumbing and not one pex crimp leaked. I have to say I'm EXTREMELY impressed with pex so far. Making changes is simple, although you have to think 2 steps ahead when making the crimps because of the awkward angles certain fittings have to be in. Plumbing definitely has a steep learning curve!

Anyways, after the system was done, I put up the 6 mil plastic and then drywalled the rest of the bathroom, then started the tapered joints.

I also cleared some brush and wired more outlets and switches to round out the weekend.

MountainDon

Looking good BK.

I knew you'd be impressed with working with PEX.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

poppy

Nice update as always and I surely do enjoy the pics. :)

Looks like I'm going to have to look into this PEX stuff.

speedfunk

congrats on plumbing!  BTW are you mixing by hand or machine?

EcoHeliGuy

So way back when you laid your plumbing under the slap, why isn't the Vent tube installed upstream of the shower? I thought so your system doesn't try and build a vacuum you want the vent tube upstream of all other fixtures?

Also did you price out the difference between poured walls and brick walls? if so what was the difference?

Your really not helping with my urge to start my place  c*

Bishopknight

Yes thanks Don, you were right.

I'm mixing by hand. We'll me and my 2 buddies we all mix by hand. We use a hoe primarily.

I read the distance should be no more than 4' away for venting, but I could be mistaking that with the distance for toilets from the vent. As for poured vs block, I haven't priced out the difference but  I'd be curious to know too. I'd probably have to call a concrete contractor to get an estimate. Sorry if this is discouraging but I don't think I need to tell anyone its extremely challenging to build your own house. One thing you can't put a price on is the valuable knowledge and experience you gain from doing all aspects yourself. Although I don't plan to, if I were to build another house, I feel this experience has given me confidence in the future to try bolder and more exciting ideas.

Anyways, here are some pics from the weekend. I'm posting these blind so if they don't come up. Let me know. We went through 6 bags of SBC and have 5 more to go, then were finished before I build the cold cellar. We're aiming for this coming weekend to wrap it up. It took 3 able bodied guys 6 hrs to do 6 bags and everyones hands were beat afterwards!

I also spent a great deal of time on my backhoe clearing more land and terracing out my sloping lot. I'm collecting boulders for either a wall in front of my house or behind it.

Dog

Looking really good!

"Collecting" boulders huh?  :) I sense some interesting landscaping...
The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

Mike 870

Bishopknight

I'd like to think out loud on a design feature Speedfunk recommended in a book he's been reading by John Hait that I'm now considering applying myself. The Insulation/watershed umbrella. I'm also curious to hear what others think:

I've already insulated 2" of XPS insulation around my footers and 1" under my slab. I had planned to put 2" on the outside of my bermed walls as well. However as I read more about this watershed umbrella, I'm tempted to either fore go the retaining wall insulation or reduce it to 1" and build up a 2-3" insulation umbrella around 10' of surrounding north side dirt. This would work out particularly well for me because I am building a root cellar anyways and own a backhoe.  Below is an excerpt of the design principles:

QuoteInsulation/watershed umbrella:

1. Extend umbrella out and around the entire home and above also,
   if the home is fully earth-sheltered.
2. Extend out 20 feet (6 m) wherever possible.
3. Taper insulation from 4 inches (10 cm) down to one (the first inch
   is the most important.)
4. Insulate the backs of retaining walls and other items that will be
   backfilled before the main umbrella goes into place.
5. Plastic: (0.006 inch (0.15 mm), largest sheets practical.)
   a. 3 layers min.
   b. Separate layers with soft insulation or dirt that will drain well.
   c. Provide adequate drainage out the end of the umbrella.
   d. DO NOT stretch, but allow for settling with folds and slipping overlaps.
   e. Lay like shingles.
   f. Prevent future ponding after settling by allowing sufficient
      drainage angles.
   g. Pay particular attention to possible extreme settling and the problems
      that might occur given its new confuguration.
   h. Make underground gutters to guide water off the front and away from
      the building.
   i. Cover it with flashing if it exits the ground.

Thoughts? Concerns?

speedfunk

BK, looking forward to your monday post   :D .

The insulation scheme your described and my thoughts for what they are worth  d*  .What your describing would certainly help moderate the temp swings of the house as well as improving the way water would be managed on that bermed wall.  It would make your root cellar kind of useless though.  If you storing heat in that backwall you'll raise the surronding temp around it.  I would think that with all the environments ( air in the house and now earth behind rear wall ) surrounding the root cellar it would eventually become the same temp as the air and insulated dry earth .  

Thermal bridging is something to pay attention too.  Making sure that you keep insulation even on the back of the exterior retaining walls (out the same 10').  It's all about application what results your going to get.    ???   If you do decide to go ahead with it, i'll be enjoying the show
:)

Bishopknight

Thanks Jeff,

I've been doing a lot of thinking on the subject, especially regarding the root cellar I have. Thats what definitely makes things different for me. I also have some bad news. My job is laying me off in 3 weeks. Ok so here are pics from this past weekend. I had my friends ( who coincidentally built their own strawbale house ) come and help me parge the remaining part of the back walls.

And heres how it looks now.

I also filled in the 6' deep trench to the well tile.

Mike 870

Sorry to hear about the job BK. At least you are building a homestead that you can heat with wood, get free water from your spring, and grow a good deal of your food.  The progress looks good, I'm looking forward to the backfilling etc.

EcoHeliGuy

I hear you about the job, The word hasn't come down yet, but I know it will. I wish i had a project like yours to keep me busy while the economy picks up again. But I still haven't found the property I would call home yet.

Bishopknight

Thanks guys,

Ya it sucks. My plan is to get my resume out there while continuing to work on the house. I'm still going to try to get a lot done though but if I can save money somewhere, I'll definitely do it.

Heres whats on my plate this coming weekend.

(*) Membrane for the bermed back wall - CCW MiraDRI 860 and Primer. - $423

(*) Drain pipe, plywood for soffits and mortar for root cellar. - $98

(*) 2 Palates of block for the root cellar - $234

speedfunk

Maybe your next job you could telecommute from your kick ass earth berm home :0)  During lunch break play on backhoe!   With the cat 5 connections everywhere your all setup!

Nice job on the parging!  Woot , I'm sure you will party when the final SBC is applied in the root cellar.  I'm sure those blocks are on the root cellar slab are temp, but just in case , make sure to put some 2" foam in between the wall of house and the walls of the root cellar.   Nice progress!!! 

Bishopknight

I've got some ideas jeff. I was thinking of setting up 2 home businesses, one for computer services and the other for making wooden signs for businesses or art. I think between the two, I should have enough income to work from home......possibly.

Yes you're definitely right, 2" of insulation between the root cellar and wall. I have to try and pry out the wooden footer that is stuck between the root cellar and slab. That should be alot of fun. I may drill an I-bolt to the footer and then use the backhoe arm and a chain to try and yank it out, I may video it for a laugh.

Dog

:( Sorry to hear about the lay off.

Speedfunk has the right idea though...  :)

The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

HomeschoolMom

It would be great if you could work from home.  We do it!  It certainly is a different way of life.  I look at others and think, "Are they crazy!?"  But they probably look at us and think we are a little nuts!
Michelle
Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys
Married to Jason, Self Employed

Wanting an earth bermed hybrid timberframe...just need some inheritance  ;)  Will never have another mortgage again!

drainl

Neat, That's what I do.  I work on small k-12 schools IT networks and PC's.  Rural area's like I suppose the one your in have a tough time finding good IT people.  So I have about 4 schools I work with.  Some as needed and some with year contracts.  It pays well and I work with good people.  Diversity of job skills like you have will help alot!  It does take a bit of work to get your business off the ground, contacts sure do help.  GL

Homeschoolmom:  Thats awesome!  Crazy , normal,  all terms that are relative to the person describing them.  In wally world the other day, and some lady behind me was yelling (she seemed like quite the character) about how some people aren't normal like her.  Aparently a "normal" person goes to work 40 hours a week.  To me that seems like extreme an amount of labor :) which would leave little time to live life.   :D

Speedfunk on Drainls account!

EcoHeliGuy

I never like the term "normal" when referring to a person, I like to use "Average" and if your average your boring and forgettable.  c*

Bishopknight

Couple photos. Interior photos weren't taken but I'll have some drywall progress photos next weekend.

Finished the east side Tyvek

Cemented the 1st course of block to the root cellar

Built a cement foundation pillar for my solar panel mount

Sanded and spray painted black the solar panel mount. It was originally a gas station sign post.

MaineRhino

Looks great BK!  I was out your way today, just a few miles down the road where the tornado hit. I assume your place is OK, or at least we hope so! It touched down about 10 miles north of here, then went east towards you. If you get a chance, go down RT 140 into Hartford. It's quite a mess. One guy said he lost 45 acres of trees!

Bishopknight

Thanks MaineRhino,

Thats concerning huh. You never hear of tornados in Maine but I guess they can happen anywhere. I'm sure my house is ok but I'll probably check with my neighbor. Thanks!

speedfunk

I noticed you took down that one pic.  It might just be me but it looks like you forgot the 2 inches of insulation between the root cellar wall and the house.  I think what you see happening is that the root cellar will maintain a temp closer to your house temp.

To fix that wall if you want shim the 2nd course of drystack , or re-morter, or if it doesn't bother you I'm sure it will be strong and it adds character  8)

things keep moving for ya!